PDA

View Full Version : 94' Civic Wheel Bearing....

a94civicex
12-29-2009, 04:10 PM
Well after replacing the driver side wheel bearing, inner & outer tie rods On both driver & pssenger side about 6 months ago it rode like a new car....

Then the worry sum problem begins.... The passenger side wheel bearing started acting up making a terrible noise & vibration while I would accelerate or just start stopping, it would also do it when I turned (sounded like metal to metal, but the brakes were fine & my cross drilled rotors aren't bad)....

So I decided to take it to a local shop out in Villa Rica & the mechanic told me that the wheel bearing on the passenger side was definately bad.... So we replaced it right then & there.... Drove like a new car again....

Now it's starting to make the same noise & vibration yet again, after only having it put in for 2 weeks.... What I need to know that way I don't look like a "dummy" when I take it back up there to tell them it's bad again.... Aren't you suppose to press the wheel bearing instead of beating it in.... They definately beat it in & told me it doesn't matter that it wouldn't hurt it....

What should I do about it because the shop will not open back up until 1-4-2010, because of the holidays....

Im out of $90 for installation labor cost + $51 & some change just for the wheel bearing from Autozone....

00CelicaGT
12-29-2009, 04:20 PM
go get ur money back and take it to another shop with a press. also did u see them "beat" in the bearings? i use a hammer and a socket to take out the hub from the bearing and then put the spindle in the press to press out the bearings, that might have been wat they were doing. now if u seen them beat in the bearing then they are just some shitty/dumbass mechanics and u need to go get ur money back!

99jdmLs
12-29-2009, 04:46 PM
ive seen people beat them in and it hold, but you may have something cause your wheel bearings to be going bad.

check your motor mounts on your engine..if they are bad, they could be putting weight down on it, causing it to go bad. jsut a thought, may not be it.

either way, get your money back.

a94civicex
12-29-2009, 04:54 PM
yeah i seen them beat the passenger wheel bearing in.... the pulled the hub assembly apart after they removed to rotor.... im going to take it back down to them on monday and tell them its bad again and tell them they need to fix it or refund my money back to me..... whats the easiest way to check and see if my mounts are bad.... i would be looking for cracks in the mounts correct....?

95droppedhatch
12-29-2009, 05:13 PM
i have put bearings in with a hammer but i had a tool that is the same size so that all the pressure is focused on the outside of the bearing on not on the cover or inside but i 99% of the time use a press to press them out and back in

a94civicex
12-29-2009, 05:55 PM
so is there a 99% chance that the wheel bearing is f***ed up since they beat it in because its making a "womp" "womp" sound & vibration when i brake, accelerate or coast....

Patterson
12-29-2009, 07:19 PM
i have put bearings in with a hammer but i had a tool that is the same size so that all the pressure is focused on the outside of the bearing on not on the cover or inside but i 99% of the time use a press to press them out and back in

X2 when one is not around and it needs fixed. as long as its done on the outside housing. i've never had a problem if i had to do it this way.

Patterson
12-29-2009, 07:33 PM
i'm thinking you have something else going on to cause this problem. i could be alot of things. inproper intallation could be the cause but everything would need to be checked in that area. its eating wheel bearings up really quick, i've never had the problem or i would point you in a direction.

a94civicex
12-29-2009, 07:44 PM
i'm thinking you have something else going on to cause this problem. i could be alot of things. inproper intallation could be the cause but everything would need to be checked in that area. its eating wheel bearings up really quick, i've never had the problem or i would point you in a direction.

i think they did it when they beat the wheel bearing in.... it wasnt a pretty sound.... ive always heard it should be pressed in....

95droppedhatch
12-29-2009, 08:35 PM
yup its a slight chance you might have just got a bad wheel bearing slight but a chance it has happend but not very often. if you didnt live so far i would help ya out if you didnt live so far but i would jack up the car on the side that is making noise and see if the wheel has any play in the bearing see if the wheel moves any if it does more that likely you have another shot wheel bearing and you might want to make sure they impacted the axle nut on all the way on that would make a loud noise also

a94civicex
12-29-2009, 09:14 PM
yup its a slight chance you might have just got a bad wheel bearing slight but a chance it has happend but not very often. if you didnt live so far i would help ya out if you didnt live so far but i would jack up the car on the side that is making noise and see if the wheel has any play in the bearing see if the wheel moves any if it does more that likely you have another shot wheel bearing and you might want to make sure they impacted the axle nut on all the way on that would make a loud noise also

I appreciate the help bro.... I'm going to Jack it up tomorrow and see if I can rock the wheel.... I'm also going to tug on the inner & outer tie rods because I was told they can go bad and make a vibration & noise....

Patterson
12-29-2009, 09:22 PM
its the LS wheels. you should just give them to me :D

95droppedhatch
12-29-2009, 09:43 PM
I appreciate the help bro.... I'm going to Jack it up tomorrow and see if I can rock the wheel.... I'm also going to tug on the inner & outer tie rods because I was told they can go bad and make a vibration & noise....

yup they can go bad too while its in the air i would take a quick look at the bushing on the lower and upper control arms too:goodjob:

a94civicex
12-29-2009, 09:59 PM
its the LS wheels. you should just give them to me :D

Hahaha, definately not the ls wheels bro! I will trade them but not give them away....

a94civicex
12-29-2009, 10:07 PM
Well I'm driving the car now since it's a DD and it's only making the "womp" "womp" noise when I accelerate at low rpms or when I put the pedal to the floor.... It doesn't make any noise when I turn sharp left or righ or when I am coasting or braking.... Does that sound like the inner & outer tie rods? Or could it be the wheel bearing? My buddy (cprtyler) says it sounds like the inner & outer tie rods, but he would have to hear it.... What I'm going to do tomorrow is jack it up and check for any play on the tie rods, wheel play, and look at the bushings on mu upper & lower control arms! How hard is it to replace the bushings or is that even something I can do? I'm up in the dark on the mechanical stuff & I do know when something isn't right though....

envision
12-30-2009, 10:10 AM
Most bushing are supposed to be pressed in you can use a socket and a hammer to put them in but its not recommended

a94civicex
12-30-2009, 03:29 PM
Most bushing are supposed to be pressed in you can use a socket and a hammer to put them in but its not recommended

So are you referring to the wheel bearing?

Oh & by the way, I jacked the car up on the driver side because it sounded like a noise coming from that side but the wheel bearing & tie rods seemed fine, just couldn't tell because it was raining & sleeting on me like crazy.... Then I moved to the passenger side & checked by moving the wheel left to right to check for the tie rods ( had movent ) & moved it up down to check the wheel bearing & ( had some movement ).... With that being said, would I be able to hear & feel the noise & vibration on the floor while I'm driving ( maybe an inner tie rod issue on driver side as well ) or does it mean when I change out the inner & outer tie rods on the passenger side this weekend to just go ahead & replace them on the driver side as well....?
Oh & I did find my reciepts for the Wheel Bearing I bought for the passenger side along with the reciepts for my inner & outer tie rods on the passenger side & the driver side out tie rod.... Never replaced the inner tie rod, was told it was fine at that time of installation....

envision
12-30-2009, 04:57 PM
Yes I was referring to the wheel bearings make sure they get pressed in this will help to ensure they last along time.

What motor do you have in your car is it stock or does it have a intermediate shaft?

a94civicex
12-30-2009, 05:41 PM
Yes I was referring to the wheel bearings make sure they get pressed in this will help to ensure they last along time.

What motor do you have in your car is it stock or does it have a intermediate shaft?

Stock d16z6 motor with bolt on's!

a94civicex
12-31-2009, 03:11 PM
I will update everyone on this thread about what I find & what it is Saturday after me & (cprtyler) work on this issue....

TommyD1919
01-02-2010, 11:00 AM
The bearing needs to be pressed in... I have put them in with a hammer and a bearing install tool too, on my car in my driveway BUT I wouldn't do that on a customers car because thats not the proper way to do it. The bearing needs to be "pressed" with a even load to be installed properly not drove in with a hammer. But regardless I would start looking at maybe a hub/spindle problem.. I've never seen a bearing go bad that fast that many times....

a94civicex
01-02-2010, 04:32 PM
The wheel bearing is definately bad.... The motor mounts, tranny mount & tie rods are all fine....

a94civicex
01-02-2010, 04:36 PM
The bearing needs to be pressed in... I have put them in with a hammer and a bearing install tool too, on my car in my driveway BUT I wouldn't do that on a customers car because thats not the proper way to do it. The bearing needs to be "pressed" with a even load to be installed properly not drove in with a hammer. But regardless I would start looking at maybe a hub/spindle problem.. I've never seen a bearing go bad that fast that many times....

Yeah I'm going to be taking the car back to the shop that installed my wheel bearing & tell them to fix it.... I will tell them not to "beat" it in & to press it in.... If they tell me they won't replace it or do anything about it I'm going to demand my money back & take it to a more reputable shop & have it done the way it was suppose to be in the first place.....