PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods Has anyone had their AEM Ems die on them

TIGERJC
12-29-2009, 01:19 AM
It has almost been a month since mine has died and I am waiting on hearing back from AEM if they're going to warranty the EMS. I have always heard the supra community talking about the AEM EMS going bad and thats why Haltech, Motec and other ems are pushed in that community. So I been thinking if they dont warranty the ems, should I get a newer aem ems or try another ems that's out there? I would love to get a motec, but I rather build the motor than spend 4k on a ems at this time.

I have been thinking og maybe going to the haltech or going back to the stock ecu and get a motec down the road when I build the motor. I am wondering if I am part of the chosen group of people this happens too and I should just get a newer aem ems?
EVO 9
Mods - Basic bolt ons

CHADbee
12-29-2009, 01:31 AM
It has almost been a month since mine has died and I am waiting on hearing back from AEM if they're going to warranty the EMS. I have always heard the supra community talking about the AEM EMS going bad and thats why Haltech, Motec and other ems are pushed in that community. So I been thinking if they dont warranty the ems, should I get a newer aem ems or try another ems that's out there? I would love to get a motec, but I rather build the motor than spend 4k on a ems at this time.

I have been thinking og maybe going to the haltech or going back to the stock ecu and get a motec down the road when I build the motor. I am wondering if I am part of the chosen group of people this happens too and I should just get a newer aem ems?
EVO 9
Mods - Basic bolt ons
if they dont 100% warranty the EMS see if they will atleast give you partial credit for a new one....if not tell them to go fuck themselfs and tune on the stock ECU. i wouldnt say haltech or motec is stupid to put on a stock block car but it is a little unnecessary unless your trying to break some stock block record or REALLY pushing the limits of it, which i know your not.

thats just my 2 cents on the subject so yeah :cheers:

TIGERJC
12-29-2009, 01:39 AM
if they dont 100% warranty the EMS see if they will atleast give you partial credit for a new one....if not tell them to go fuck themselfs and tune on the stock ECU. i wouldnt say haltech or motec is stupid to put on a stock block car but it is a little unnecessary unless your trying to break some stock block record or REALLY pushing the limits of it, which i know your not.

thats just my 2 cents on the subject so yeah :cheers:

With my luck, hell no. Yea I hope they warranty, but if not at least give me credit towards another one. But if not stock ecu is fine for what I have now and I can get the motec later.

Or

Does anyone want to trade a prius for the evo

CHADbee
12-29-2009, 01:56 AM
With my luck, hell no. Yea I hope they warranty, but if not at least give me credit towards another one. But if not stock ecu is fine for what I have now and I can get the motec later.

Or

Does anyone want to trade a prius for the evo
its back to stock turbo right? if so and they dont warranty the ems or dont give you a KILLER deal on a new one just flash the stock ECU and save your money dude.

ROFL....what happened to "if this car gives me one more issues im getting a X?" :lmfao:

TIGERJC
12-29-2009, 02:02 AM
its back to stock turbo right? if so and they dont warranty the ems or dont give you a KILLER deal on a new one just flash the stock ECU and save your money dude.

ROFL....what happened to "if this car gives me one more issues im getting a X?" :lmfao:
Change of heart, I will do a prius sitting on dem thangs and by thangs I mean 15's. DId I say that right?

The Issue was it should have went to topspeed from the start and since I address that issue I have confidence the car will be fine after the ems issue is taken care of.

CHADbee
12-29-2009, 02:06 AM
Change of heart, I will do a prius sitting on dem thangs and by thangs I mean 15's. DId I say that right?

i got a blazer sittin on sum thangs ill trade you for the evo :boobies:

TIGERJC
12-29-2009, 02:09 AM
i got a blazer sittin on sum thangs ill trade you for the evo :boobies:
now if you put a 20yr Korean women that speaks no English in the trunk of that blazer, you sir have a deal

CHADbee
12-29-2009, 02:15 AM
now if you put a 20yr Korean women that speaks no English in the trunk of that blazer, you sir have a deal

im pretty sure i can find one of those on craigslist....

David88vert
12-29-2009, 07:31 AM
I have had the AEM fail in the Supra before. It is not the EMS, it is the removeable eprom chip inside it. AEM will send you one for free. It takes 10 mins to change.

The AEM is a great EMS, made by GEM. I like haltech and Motec also, but if you already ahve the AEM, there is no reason to change. It is very easy to program, and has plenty of features.

SPOOLIN
12-30-2009, 10:06 PM

EVO 9
Mods - Basic bolt ons

Question: Has anyone had their AEM Ems die on them?

Answer: LOL, YES!!!

Resolution: Avoid AEM or keep a spare.

The newer ones are supposed to be better, they are actually rebadged EMS from another manufacturer. I've seen countless threads on HT where people talk bout and joke about their AEM TimeBomb EMS.

-S Double C-
12-30-2009, 10:13 PM
Question: Has anyone had their AEM Ems die on them?

Answer: LOL, YES!!!

Resolution: Avoid AEM or keep a spare.

The newer ones are supposed to be better, they are actually rebadged EMS from another manufacturer. I've seen countless threads on HT where people talk bout and joke about their AEM TimeBomb EMS.

well spoken aem=crap thats why we stick to hondata 0 problems here! But you cant use that lol

B18c1Turboed
12-31-2009, 02:37 PM
I had alot of problems with my Aem system. I sent it back too them and they took care of it for me. Alot of people give AEM a hard time, but their are ALOT of fast cars running it. I love hondata, but it can only do so much.

TougeGTR-33
12-31-2009, 02:55 PM
im pretty sure i can find one of those on craigslist....

LOL! Repped.

Big Baller
12-31-2009, 04:11 PM
well spoken aem=crap thats why we stick to hondata 0 problems here! But you cant use that lol

LOL really...you are comparing hondata to an AEM

The AEM is a GEMS board which is what is used in the world rally cars. Its one of the best systems available. Yes there is an issue with the chip coming out or going bad. I've had 6 AEM boxes in different cars and I've only ever had to send one back. They sent it back to me overnight. I've had nothing but great service from them.

TIGERJC
12-31-2009, 07:20 PM
I had alot of problems with my Aem system. I sent it back too them and they took care of it for me. Alot of people give AEM a hard time, but their are ALOT of fast cars running it. I love hondata, but it can only do so much.

what was the turn around for you, its going almost a month (prolly b/c of the holiday)

David88vert
12-31-2009, 10:34 PM
what was the turn around for you, its going almost a month (prolly b/c of the holiday)

When I called them, they had a new eprom to me in 2 days from California. You have to call their tech line.

TIGERJC
12-31-2009, 10:43 PM
When I called them, they had a new eprom to me in 2 days from California. You have to call their tech line.

Thanks, guess I will call them monday

Lurker
01-01-2010, 08:32 AM
My AEM lost all of it's programming data and needed to be reflashed by AEM. $150 later it was fixed and shipped back 2 days later.

Stock ECU will get you far these days.

David88vert
01-01-2010, 10:47 AM
My AEM lost all of it's programming data and needed to be reflashed by AEM. $150 later it was fixed and shipped back 2 days later.

Stock ECU will get you far these days.

Why did you send them the whole ECU? They ship you the eprom for free, and then you change it. Update the firmware - that's the flash, and load your map. 15 min job tops.

Newer cars stock ECUs can do a lot more - most of the older cars still need an aftermarket EMS. My old Mustang's stock ECU died, so that is why I changed to AEM. I didn't regret it, but my bank account did.....