PDA

View Full Version : General Chat Neon Mountain Runs

5speed
12-28-2009, 10:36 AM
Going out to Chattanooga today since I'm here in Tennessee at my future inlaws. Decided with my "brother inlaw" that we wanted to see how his 97 Neon with new suspension goodies takes curves. In light of the recent Neon thread in the Pics section I am gonna see how well these things really do handle. Results later tonight.

AnthonyF
12-28-2009, 10:41 AM
*insert quickdodges's awards*

-Ant.

87 Turbo II
12-28-2009, 10:54 AM
Well is it an ACR or just a neon? I mean, the regular neons are nice and light and zippy too, but the ACR does make a big difference.

On_Her_Face
12-28-2009, 11:36 AM
SRT?

JITB
12-28-2009, 12:18 PM
have fun dont die..

SRK420a
12-28-2009, 01:45 PM
What kinda neon is it any specs

5speed
12-28-2009, 07:03 PM
99 ACR with Koni suspension, 700cc injectors, and other light mods. I knew it would handle well on the track but wanted to see how it was in the mountains of TN. Hauled ass around some hairpins and various curves. I was surprised how well this FWD handled compared to some modern day FWD vehicles. It felt so good going side ways through the hairpins with a wheel off the ground. It was my first time really racing through the mountains so I didnt push my luck too much. Going out again tonight for some more fun, so I can have more time driving since he did most of it today. I will get a better description of upgrades too.

5speed
12-28-2009, 07:05 PM

-Ant.
LOL You gotta experience it for yourself. I heard that they handle pretty well, but never expected as good as it does tuned for the street.

JITB
12-28-2009, 07:45 PM
nice! any pics of it?"

5speed
12-28-2009, 10:22 PM
We dont have anything with flash and what not, and he will be gone early in the morning so no chance for pics this time. I have been telling him to get on IA but he doesn't really get on the computer at all. Has RC Engineering 52mm Throttle Body, Flowmaster Exhaust, Mopar under drive Pulley. He plans to get new gauges since he's learning that idiot lights just aren't enough. He is new to modifying and some of the work was done by the previous owner.

quickdodgeŽ
12-28-2009, 11:24 PM

-Ant.

Lolol. I shan't brag in here. Later, QD.

5speed
12-28-2009, 11:42 PM
Lolol. I shan't brag in here. Later, QD.
Any recommendations for a DD ACR would be greatly appreciated. I say after the gauges get headers. I see that water pumps are a given for these.

quickdodgeŽ
12-28-2009, 11:46 PM
I wouldn't get headers unless you just want an extra set laying around the garage. But you could get A header and use it. The neon is known for good responses to basic mods. I assume an intake is already on the car, so that would complete the IHE. Other than that, the car is pretty much set to go. It came from the factory ready to ride out. Later, QD.

5speed
12-29-2009, 12:00 AM
I wouldn't get headers unless you just want an extra set laying around the garage. But you could get A header and use it. The neon is known for good responses to basic mods. I assume an intake is already on the car, so that would complete the IHE. Other than that, the car is pretty much set to go. It came from the factory ready to ride out. Later, QD.
LOL, I'm surprised I didnt catch that, I dont like it when people call it that either. Guess others got me doing it without thinking about it. Yep, intake is there. I was so surprised how it handled. Shits ugly but drives better than a Civic in a comparable gen IMO

quickdodgeŽ
12-29-2009, 12:04 AM
I was so surprised how it handled. Shits ugly but drives better than a Civic in a comparable gen IMO

My neon was one of my more favorable cars. And as far as driving better than a Civic "in your opinion" goes? That's not opinion. It is/was fact. The neon outranked the Civic in about every aspect back through the latter part of the 90s. Later, QD.

5speed
12-29-2009, 12:14 AM
My neon was one of my more favorable cars. And as far as driving better than a Civic "in your opinion" goes? That's not opinion. It is/was fact. The neon outranked the Civic in about every aspect back through the latter part of the 90s. Later, QD.
Haha, then I was right! The rear end steps out just enough to put you through the turn under control. In my old Civic it would have never made the kind of turns the ACR made in the hairpins. I just cruised up the mountain and was hoping I wouldnt wreck his car but Im pretty confident in my driving. Floored it to catch some good speed and eased off and pretended I was in Initial D lol. Then realized quickly that pretending shouldnt be going on in my head when I was doing something dangerous. Got my head in the game and did what I could with it. 3 consecutive hairpins really tested my abilities and the cars when I entered a bit too fast. I got the bug to go road racing now.