PDA

View Full Version : attn: techs that know a lil sum sum about SAAB

collins
12-25-2009, 04:15 PM
ok, so my neighbor picked up a 1992 saab 900s convertible. it needs a new top. is it hard to do? i've never even looked into replacing a vert top so i have no idea. if its just nuts and bolts, i'm pretty mechanically inclined so i could probably figure it out. however, i dont know if there are any special tools needed, any particular way to make measurements to assure its even, etc... any help is greatly appreciated.

Echonova
12-25-2009, 07:44 PM
You realize you have to attach it to the motors that retract it right?... Could you do it? I'm sure you could. Plan on 4 full days to do it though. No special tools I'm aware of, however I have not replaced a top on that particular body style either. As far as special measurements... If one one side closes before the other, it's wrong.

Motivation
12-25-2009, 08:03 PM
The Saab 900 79-94 Convertible top is in two pieces. If the glass does not need to be replaced then you will only have to replace the front half. If the glass needs to be replaced you will have to replace the glass and material which surrounds it. Most people think that the top is one complete unit but it is not. You can remove the front 3/4 section of the top and when you do you will expose the glass in the rear half top section which shows that that are separate.

collins
12-25-2009, 08:48 PM
good info! thanks man i'll look at it tomorrow.