PDA

View Full Version : Handling Mods this may sound stupid (stagger question)

stevo_EF91
12-25-2009, 01:41 AM
so i was looking at getting some rims on here for my awd audi

the wheels are staggered tho 20x10 rear 20x8.5 front

question is can you stagger an awd car? is it safe ? what modifications can be made to fit a stagger.

thanks!

NAIZBST
12-25-2009, 07:20 PM
I wouldn't recommend it as it may mess up your trans or diff's

tnomud
12-25-2009, 10:30 PM
Its very hard to stagger an AWD car unless you keep the same size tire, same size width of wheel and simply get a different offset between the front and rear.

At the end of the day, you want two different tires sized on two different wheel widths with the exact same revolutions per mile on that rims size. It's not entireley impossible, but very hard to find the right combos and still have matching tires and matching wheels.

punkr6
12-25-2009, 10:31 PM
bad idea....

HatchHero
12-26-2009, 01:23 PM
bad idea....

agreed

stevo_EF91
12-26-2009, 01:25 PM
thats what i thought.. thanks for the info!

sprix!
12-27-2009, 09:01 AM
I wouldn't recommend it. The width isn't so much of a problem as is the differing overall diameters (even from running similar tire sizes). With a sensitive all wheel drive system that Audi uses, it would cause issues down the road.If you really want the staggered look, and don't want to mess up your car or anything, there are a few companies out there that make wheels that have a staggered look but are actually the same dimensions front and rear.

rollininstyle2004
12-28-2009, 01:15 AM
Audi's quattro is fine with staggered setups.

Keep the overall rolling diameters close to the same and you will be fine. I know dozens of people that have done it on Audis and been perfectly fine. I plan on doing it on mine as well.

sprix!
12-28-2009, 08:17 AM
Audi's quattro is fine with staggered setups.

I know you know a lot about your cars, and I have seen a few of them around the site, but I find this statement problematic. Most awd systems are designed to have all four wheels and tires to have identical overall diameters. If he goes to the trouble of installing staggered wheels with staggered tires- he will end up with differing overall diameters. If he installs staggered wheels with matching size tires, he will likely end up with differing overall diameters. The only way to be certain there is no damage to the system is by installing identical dimension front and rear wheels and tires. Sure, there won't be overnight damage, but I don't think that your statement is accurate.

rollininstyle2004
12-29-2009, 02:35 AM
I know you know a lot about your cars, and I have seen a few of them around the site, but I find this statement problematic. Most awd systems are designed to have all four wheels and tires to have identical overall diameters. If he goes to the trouble of installing staggered wheels with staggered tires- he will end up with differing overall diameters. If he installs staggered wheels with matching size tires, he will likely end up with differing overall diameters. The only way to be certain there is no damage to the system is by installing identical dimension front and rear wheels and tires. Sure, there won't be overnight damage, but I don't think that your statement is accurate.

Correct, which is why I said as long as the overall rolling diameter is CLOSE to the same front and rear you will not see any problems.

Take this setup for example.

Front: 19x8.5 w/ 235/35/19
Rear: 19x9.5 w/ 275/35/19

Front has an overall diameter of 25.476''
Rear has an overall diameter of 25.496''

That means the difference between front and rear is roughly 0.08% in overall diameter. Running different brand tires front and rear in the SAME size (which people often do when replacing just the front or just the rear) could account for more of a difference as all tires are a little different. Uneven wear could account for more of a difference.

I am not saying to go run extremely difference sizes front and rear, but I have read that as long as they are within 1% of each other (which as proven above is very easy to do, and very easy to make them damn near identical) the car will be fine. Staggering as you know changes the width, keep the diameter the same and you will be fine.

I am sure some will still disagree, however, I personally see no problem with it and know people who have done years on properly done (which again is key) staggered setups on AWD cars, Audi especially with no problems.

sprix!
12-29-2009, 10:00 AM
Well, the overall diameter you posted is likely the diameter of the uninflated tire. The characteristics of the tire deviates when you mount it onto a wheel. I would suspect that it would be a greater variance than the one you posted. Nothing immediately detrimental, but still a variance. You are also correct, however. I suppose we are splitting hairs. :D

YokotaS13
01-04-2010, 04:23 PM
as long as you are withing likw 2% iirc of rolling diameter, any make/model should work (i havent found any that need a super tight tolerance of tire)

tnomud
01-04-2010, 09:10 PM
Just a thought to also consider, a wider tire and wheel will hold more air. Larger amounts of air will expand and contract at different rates and alter that .02%........

It might be minimal, but something to keep in your backup files.

YokotaS13
01-04-2010, 10:17 PM
then use nitrogen...