PDA

View Full Version : V8 swap in 1 day is it possible?

jew_boy
12-24-2009, 12:21 AM
like the title says. im planning on pulling my 2.8L V6 and dropping my 5.0 V8 and starting it up all in one day. ok now it is a carb motor so there really is no wiring to worry about just fuel lines. i have all the mounts to do it. Im also going to try to paint my front half of my frame and my firewall also.... :crazy:

so IA do yall think its possible? also no im not doing this alone i will have 1 or 2 ppl assisting me :D

JITB
12-24-2009, 12:25 AM
def possible! is this going in the red truck or the other one u told me about?

tdurr
12-24-2009, 12:27 AM
u can do it. just will talk ALL fucking day lol.

Echonova
12-24-2009, 12:28 AM
Possible, but not likely with painting also in this cold weather... Unless you wanna half-ass it. But the swap alone could easily be done in a day as long as one of you is competent.

jew_boy
12-24-2009, 12:28 AM
def possible! is this going in the red truck or the other one u told me about?

louis and all my buddies down here dont think it can be done. its going into the red one. the other truck has kinda turned into a parts truck :D id like to have it drivin to take to the V meet coming up but i dont think that will happen

jew_boy
12-24-2009, 12:31 AM
u can do it. just will talk ALL fucking day lol.

oh i plan to start as soon as the sun is up

Possible, but not likely with painting also in this cold weather... Unless you wanna half-ass it. But the swap alone could easily be done in a day as long as one of you is competent.

im just getting some paint from my work (rattle can) i aint trying to be pro just making it look decent is the goal and it will be done in a garage

tdurr
12-24-2009, 12:43 AM
oh i plan to start as soon as the sun is up

im just getting some paint from my work (rattle can) i aint trying to be pro just making it look decent is the goal and it will be done in a garage

black spray paint will be ur friend then lol.

redrumracer
12-24-2009, 12:52 AM
i did it in 4 hours so ya

jew_boy
12-24-2009, 12:56 AM
black spray paint will be ur friend then lol.

thats exactly what i was planning on High Heat Gloss Black from Autozone :D

87 Turbo II
12-24-2009, 03:50 AM
Yeah, you can click "mah recover thread" in my signature to see proof of what a day can do. I had like 10 people but, we did engine, tranny, rear end,steering, and suspension.

DeeAOne
12-24-2009, 03:58 AM
i know you did not post this bs. lol

badassf4i
12-24-2009, 04:08 AM
i did it in my jeep wrangler and from pulling the old motor , installing new 350 and making a driveshaft and tranny mount it took us 13 or so hours

silversol
12-24-2009, 10:02 AM
2.8 ftw!!!!!!!!

wrekonize
12-24-2009, 12:10 PM
anythings possible...you just have to believe ...lol

jew_boy
12-24-2009, 03:46 PM
2.8 ftw!!!!!!!!

you should buy it then lol

the only thing im worried about is the driveshaft. i can get it made for cheap just dont feel like doing that

03RCode
12-24-2009, 05:06 PM
If you have someone that has done it before it's no issue. Me and 2 buddies managed to pull a 2.8 (already unhooked everything), get a 350 ready to pull out of one truck, pulled it and put it in the other truck, and had it running in around 6 hours. That swap is rather straight forward.

jew_boy
12-24-2009, 07:04 PM
If you have someone that has done it before it's no issue. Me and 2 buddies managed to pull a 2.8 (already unhooked everything), get a 350 ready to pull out of one truck, pulled it and put it in the other truck, and had it running in around 6 hours. That swap is rather straight forward.

never done this swap. ive dropped a few v8's but never in the s series trucks. so hooking up the motor will be no problem but just getting it in there perfect with all the mounts is my only challenge but im going to do it :D

MidLifeCrisis
12-24-2009, 11:03 PM
So.. you cant just reuse the transmission? I wa sudner the impression they used the TH350 trannys.. Whos helping you? Louis and smilar friends? In that case no way, haha. But really.. this is easier than a honda swap. When you planning on doing it?

jew_boy
12-25-2009, 09:26 AM
So.. you cant just reuse the transmission? I wa sudner the impression they used the TH350 trannys.. Whos helping you? Louis and smilar friends? In that case no way, haha. But really.. this is easier than a honda swap. When you planning on doing it?

thats the tranny im using the TH350. yeah louis is helping me along with maybe one other friend. im the only one that knows about the domestic world in our little group of friends. but im going to do it. i got 2 days off next week. the first day is getting the motor in and crank it up next day making it go down the road :D. i want to beable to drive it to the next V meet

DeeAOne
12-25-2009, 09:30 AM
i got this. :tongue1: lol

boosted b
12-25-2009, 09:46 AM
it can be done in one day

jew_boy
12-25-2009, 09:49 AM
aw.. stirfry dont think i can do it.. lol ill make sure to get it on the road that day also just for u. and the funny thing this will be beating your old drag hatch :lmfao: that was built to run 12's

MidLifeCrisis
12-25-2009, 01:52 PM
If you need proffessional help, PM me. I have free time, so we can make this happen in one day and give you a second day to tweak and road test.

jew_boy
12-25-2009, 09:01 PM
my swap date will be dec 30, 31. i will have it running for sure on the jan 1st

DirtyMechanic
12-25-2009, 09:11 PM
make sure your not going to be pumping 30-40 psi into a carb that only requires 6-8psi. other than that.. if you have the mounts and all and you know everything just drops or bolts in... i dont see why one person could do it.

if they know what they are doing.

jew_boy
12-25-2009, 09:21 PM
make sure your not going to be pumping 30-40 psi into a carb that only requires 6-8psi. other than that.. if you have the mounts and all and you know everything just drops or bolts in... i dont see why one person could do it.

if they know what they are doing.

its not fun to drop the motor by yourself got to keep it fun man, yeah i already know about the fuel i already got a mechanical pump intstead of just running a regulator.

DirtyMechanic
12-25-2009, 09:28 PM
its not fun to drop the motor by yourself got to keep it fun man, yeah i already know about the fuel i already got a mechanical pump intstead of just running a regulator.
oh yes it is.... i guess you havent done it right then. 2 motors 4 turbos 16hours... what what... from driving in, to driving out on both.

jew_boy
12-25-2009, 09:33 PM
oh yes it is.... i guess you havent done it right then. 2 motors 4 turbos 16hours... what what... from driving in, to driving out on both.

wtf does that have to dowith anything and im 19 ive done did 2 swaps but my self but it goes faster and better when you got someone to make fun of while your doing a swap

jmmx258
12-25-2009, 09:49 PM
It's a really simple and everyday swap like a b series in a civic. Up here anyways, everybody and their brother has had a blocked dime. Cept me I threw a 351 in my ranger:)

A friend of mine and I have done this swap several times. Make sure you got a big enough radiator, your probably going to have to do something with the core support, or use thin electric fans. Would be so much easier if that truck was a 4.3. You could use the stock mounts and trans :)

Are you meaning a 305? A ford 302, or a DZ chevy 302?

Aside from the Driveshaft issue, you could have this done in about 5 hours or less with some competence.

jew_boy
12-25-2009, 10:03 PM
It's a really simple and everyday swap like a b series in a civic. Up here anyways, everybody and their brother has had a blocked dime. Cept me I threw a 351 in my ranger:)

A friend of mine and I have done this swap several times. Make sure you got a big enough radiator, your probably going to have to do something with the core support, or use thin electric fans. Would be so much easier if that truck was a 4.3. You could use the stock mounts and trans :)

Are you meaning a 305? A ford 302, or a DZ chevy 302?

Aside from the Driveshaft issue, you could have this done in about 5 hours or less with some competence.

i got a couple of drive shafts that wont be a problem neither will thhe cooling. its a 305 chevy. i thought you still need mounts for the 4.3 i know the tranny will still bolt up.

jmmx258
12-25-2009, 10:15 PM
i got a couple of drive shafts that wont be a problem neither will thhe cooling. its a 305 chevy. i thought you still need mounts for the 4.3 i know the tranny will still bolt up.
I'm saying if the truck had already been a 4.3 you wouldn't need to get dif. mounts. Your 2.8 trans will not bolt up to a SB if thats what you were saying if not I stand corrected. The bellhousing from a 2.8 to a SB are way different. The 2 bolts on either side of the housing go up at an angle inward on one, and are directly over top on the others, and the upper 2 bolts are farther apart from one, than the other. I'm not 100% sure right now as i'm tired as hell from the christmas day past. lol.

Edit: also if IIRC the SB trans bell comes to somewhat of a point that the top where as the 2.8 trans will be a straight line from bolt to bolt on the upper 2 bolts.

jew_boy
12-25-2009, 10:41 PM
I'm saying if the truck had already been a 4.3 you wouldn't need to get dif. mounts. Your 2.8 trans will not bolt up to a SB if thats what you were saying if not I stand corrected. The bellhousing from a 2.8 to a SB are way different. The 2 bolts on either side of the housing go up at an angle inward on one, and are directly over top on the others, and the upper 2 bolts are farther apart from one, than the other. I'm not 100% sure right now as i'm tired as hell from the christmas day past. lol.

Edit: also if IIRC the SB trans bell comes to somewhat of a point that the top where as the 2.8 trans will be a straight line from bolt to bolt on the upper 2 bolts.

the trans part i got a tranny its a th350 the 2.8 wont work cause it is a 60 degrees v6 4.3 is a 90 degrees along as the SBC motors. what im saying i though you still need swap mounts. cause the motor mounts have to forwar alittle. im pretty knowledgeable on my swap, i know all about the trannys

jmmx258
12-25-2009, 10:47 PM
I may be wrong about the 4.3 mounts but I thought they worked. If not, summit has em for like 100 bucks lol. We made ours I'm a certified welder haha.

jew_boy
12-25-2009, 10:55 PM
oh i already got the mounts

Init2winit
12-26-2009, 09:03 AM
Why do you want to rush and do it in a day? It can be done, but you are going to run into a snag, I'm sure. What are you going to do about a transmission, because the one you have will not bolt up to a v8.

jew_boy
12-26-2009, 09:18 AM
im running a TH350 tranny. ive been doing my research for this for a while now. i got the tranny crossmember, motor mounts. fuels lines. the whole cooling system but the hoses. got 2 slim fans.the motor is basicly brand new. i dont think ill be rushing. the onlything ill be going alittle fast on is taking the front end off