PDA

View Full Version : anyone smart with texas/georgia traffic laws? need some help!

Schugg
12-23-2009, 04:40 PM
im in texas now, but back in 07 i got arrested for driving on a suspended license in georgia. thinking nothing of it, i applied for a concealed handgun license here in texas and didnt list it on my application. later i got a letter requesting info about the arrest, so i got them what they wanted and sent it. while i was waiting i looked up while they would want info on it, and seen it was a misdemeanor. but everything i can find states that it is a CLASS C misdemeanor on the first offense, but i recently got my application results back from TXDPS saying i was denied due to having a CLASS A misdemeanor, along with the fact of not stating material facts about it when i first applied.

so im trying to see if anyone knows for a fact and can tell me where to look that would state what class misdemeanor this is for either georgia or texas, or better both.

i found this, which i believe is for texas, in the bold its saying that its a CLASS A misdemeanor, IF i have been previously convicted of the charge, which im taking that as i got caught once driving on no license, then got caught again, then it would be a CLASS A. i got caught once and that was it, havent got a ticket since. not sure if im reading it right or not. but just trying to get my info straight before i decide if i want to waste more time appealing this rejecting and going to court. so any help would be appreciated!

§ 521.457. DRIVING WHILE LICENSE INVALID. (a) A person
commits an offense if the person operates a motor vehicle on a
highway:
(1) after the person's driver's license has been
canceled under this chapter if the person does not have a license
that was subsequently issued under this chapter;
(2) during a period that the person's driver's license
or privilege is suspended or revoked under any law of this state;
(3) while the person's driver's license is expired if
the license expired during a period of suspension; or
(4) after renewal of the person's driver's license has
been denied under any law of this state, if the person does not have
a driver's license subsequently issued under this chapter.
(b) A person commits an offense if the person is the subject
of an order issued under any law of this state that prohibits the
person from obtaining a driver's license and the person operates a
motor vehicle on a highway.
(c) It is not a defense to prosecution under this section
that the person did not receive actual notice of a suspension
imposed as a result of a conviction for an offense under Section
(d) Except as provided by Subsection (c), it is an
affirmative defense to prosecution of an offense, other than an
offense under Section 521.341, that the person did not receive
actual notice of a cancellation, suspension, revocation, or
prohibition order relating to the person's license. For purposes
of this section, actual notice is presumed if the notice was mailed
in accordance with law.
(e) Except as provided by Subsection (f), an offense under
this section is a misdemeanor punishable by:
(1) a fine of not less than $100 or more than $500; and
(2) confinement in county jail for a term of not less
than 72 hours or more than six months.
(f) If it is shown on the trial of an offense under this
section that the person has previously been convicted of an offense
under this section or an offense under Section 601.371(a), as that
law existed before September 1, 2003, the offense is a Class A
misdemeanor.
(g) For purposes of this section, a conviction for an
offense that involves operation of a motor vehicle after August 31,
1987, is a final conviction, regardless of whether the sentence for
the conviction is probated.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995. Amended
by Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 165, § 30.98(a), eff. Sept. 1, 1997;
Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 1207, § 6, eff. Sept. 1, 1999; Acts
2003, 78th Leg., ch. 855, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 2003.

§treet_§peed
12-23-2009, 04:44 PM
Guess I'd be SOL for the rest of my life then if I wanted to get one.

Schugg
12-23-2009, 05:08 PM
haha u can have a class A misdemeanor, just has to be older than 5 years, mine isnt. plus its a texas CHL, and its alot harder to get one here than most other states.

§treet_§peed
12-23-2009, 05:12 PM
well that means I'd have to wait another 3 years then. O well I don't really take what guns I have anywhere.

Schugg
12-23-2009, 05:23 PM
i hope they are wrong about my charge and had typo or something, i cant wait 2 more years to legally carry a gun around! if i don't get them to change their mind ill probably have to sell mine cause ill end up trying to have it with me anyway.

Schugg
12-23-2009, 05:39 PM
now i found this version of the thing above stating it is a class C....shits confusing, think ill just go talk to a lawyer

Sec. 521.457. DRIVING WHILE LICENSE INVALID. (a) A person commits an offense if the person operates a motor vehicle on a highway:
(1) after the person's driver's license has been canceled under this chapter if the person does not have a license that was subsequently issued under this chapter;
(2) during a period that the person's driver's license or privilege is suspended or revoked under any law of this state;
(3) while the person's driver's license is expired if the license expired during a period of suspension; or
(4) after renewal of the person's driver's license has been denied under any law of this state, if the person does not have a driver's license subsequently issued under this chapter.
(b) A person commits an offense if the person is the subject of an order issued under any law of this state that prohibits the person from obtaining a driver's license and the person operates a motor vehicle on a highway.
(c) It is not a defense to prosecution under this section that the person did not receive actual notice of a suspension imposed as a result of a conviction for an offense under Section 521.341.
(d) Except as provided by Subsection (c), it is an affirmative defense to prosecution of an offense, other than an offense under Section 521.341, that the person did not receive actual notice of a cancellation, suspension, revocation, or prohibition order relating to the person's license. For purposes of this section, actual notice is presumed if the notice was mailed in accordance with law.
(e) Except as provided by Subsections (f) and (f-1), an offense under this section is a Class C misdemeanor.
(f) If it is shown on the trial of an offense under this section that the person has previously been convicted of an offense under this section or an offense under Section 601.371(a), as that law existed before September 1, 2003, the offense is a Class B misdemeanor.
(f-1) If it is shown on the trial of an offense under this section that the license of the person has previously been suspended as the result of an offense involving the operation of a motor vehicle while intoxicated, the offense is a Class B misdemeanor.
(g) For purposes of this section, a conviction for an offense that involves operation of a motor vehicle after August 31, 1987, is a final conviction, regardless of whether the sentence for the conviction is probated.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995. Amended by Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 30.98(a), eff. Sept. 1, 1997; Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 1207, Sec. 6, eff. Sept. 1, 1999; Acts 2003, 78th Leg., ch. 855, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 2003.
Amended by:
Acts 2007, 80th Leg., R.S., Ch. 1027, Sec. 8, eff. September 1, 2007.

§treet_§peed
12-23-2009, 05:39 PM
I need my Boom Stick.

§treet_§peed
12-23-2009, 05:42 PM
Lol technically my last ticket wouldn't be valid then according to that. I was pulled over in my subdivision while the road was private and had not been turned over to the state. I wasn't speeding or doing anything stupid, which I was given permission to drive my bike by the owner. But i still went to jail and got my bike towed. All this for doing maintenance.

Schugg
12-23-2009, 06:16 PM
Lol technically my last ticket wouldn't be valid then according to that. I was pulled over in my subdivision while the road was private and had not been turned over to the state. I wasn't speeding or doing anything stupid, which I was given permission to drive my bike by the owner. But i still went to jail and got my bike towed. All this for doing maintenance.

yeah you probably could have fought that, probably a little late now!

§treet_§peed
12-23-2009, 06:18 PM
yeah you probably could have fought that, probably a little late now!
Nah my lawyer is fighting it currently.