PDA

View Full Version : Bypass vs Bov

chaseamundo
12-22-2009, 12:48 AM
I have a turbo kit i recently had pieced together and didnt realize my vortech "BOV" was really just a bypass valva. which i guess is why it was constantly blowing out air? I didnt know their was a difference in between the two.

I also have an idle surge and cannot figure out the problem. could this bypass valve be the problem, or my "leak"?

also theirs no way that the bypass valvae will work on a turbo kit right? considering it came off of a supercharger kit....?

Help=Reps
Gracias

RBS
12-22-2009, 12:51 AM
bypass valve is so that when the car isnt under a heavy load, it will run off vaccum. which keeps it streetable, you will always feel air come out of it as thats what it does, under load it closes or whatev and you go into boost....

thats what i think, i could be wrong though

chaseamundo
12-22-2009, 12:56 AM
thank you... that sort of makes sense...lol

dallasb84
12-22-2009, 01:26 AM
no on a 3800 supercharged gtp.. the bypass is mounted on the intake mani...

its there so that when youve built boost and let off the gas.... it releases air out of the intake manifold.....remember the supercharger is blocking the intake mani and throttle body.... if it wasnt there the there could be a small amount of pressurized air still in the intake system.... which could be annoying as it would have a lag of power loss when releasing the gas pedal..... kinda like the rpms stay up after you let off the gas..... also bad if your on the brakes too/... cuz when your on the brakes..... all of a sudden the vacum boost kicks in and your brakes lock..... :) get it???

chaseamundo
12-22-2009, 01:36 AM
yea but i have this vortech bypass valve on my turbo kit where my bov should go. and i have an idle surge. cld that be the problem?

dallasb84
12-22-2009, 01:41 AM
only if the BV is leaking air into you vac line....

un plug the vac line and close it off with you finger and see if the surge goes away

cm7k24
12-22-2009, 02:02 PM
try unplugging the line put it back to the way it is and turn it on.

and get a BOV while your at it :)

emmino has a hks ssq for 120 i think.

dallasb84
12-23-2009, 01:09 AM
bypass and bov are essentially the same thing...

it should be open or close to open at idle..... and closed when boost....

other than that it should work the same as a bov.... i see no need to swap it out unless its broke...

you deff need to take some carb cleaner and start squirting in around your intake to find the leak.... small squirts and then when your idle changes theres your leak..... like marco polo.... or cold cold cold cold warm warmer WARM HOT!!!!!!!!

get it

chaseamundo
12-25-2009, 07:30 PM
sosquirt around couplings etc?

chaseamundo
12-25-2009, 08:00 PM
so it will or wont work?

SLo_MKIII
12-25-2009, 08:02 PM
Dude just get to squirting