PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Audi A4- How long with stock Turbo last?

Reaper
12-21-2009, 01:02 PM
My little brother is looking to purchase his first car.

2005 Audi A4, white on black w/S-line package. 1.8T with 92,500miles on it. The guy that has had it has seemed to have treated it rather well. My question is obviously, when does the stock turbo need to be replaced? How much will it cost, etc?

Thanks Guys

MeFryRice
12-21-2009, 02:20 PM
C'mon James, you should know this by now. :)

The longevity of the turbo depends on the following...

How hard was the car driven?
Was the car cooled down properly?
How often was the oil changed? Does the PO have any service records to backup his claim?
Has the car been modded? If so, has the boost pressure ever been turned up above stock?

If it were me, unless the PO has a lot of the service records, I would stay away from a newer Audi that has high mileage. As you know, my dad has an '09 S4 and it seems to be in the dealership more than his driveway. Even though it's small stuff that fails, it adds up and gets old after a while.

Reaper
12-21-2009, 02:35 PM
C'mon James, you should know this by now. :)

The longevity of the turbo depends on the following...

How hard was the car driven?
Was the car cooled down properly?
How often was the oil changed? Does the PO have any service records to backup his claim?
Has the car been modded? If so, has the boost pressure ever been turned up above stock?

If it were me, unless the PO has a lot of the service records, I would stay away from a newer Audi that has high mileage. As you know, my dad has an '09 S4 and it seems to be in the dealership more than his driveway. Even though it's small stuff that fails, it adds up and gets old after a while.

Well I know all of those things. It's a stock turbo, extensive records, seems to be very clean with no issues. No accidents. Old guy owned it, very very clean car. I'm trying to get my pops to get him the V6, but this is an extremely clean turbo. Parental's know very little about cars so I figured I'd do the research. I love Audi's but never ventured into the used ones. I remember your dad getting the S4, sad to hear it's having a lot of issues.

Speaking of your dad, where is he stationed and what's his AFSC(job)?

MeFryRice
12-21-2009, 06:26 PM
It's cool. Based off the information you've mentioned, I'd say ~100-125k miles is when it'd be time to look into replacing it; if it doesn't already. Depending on where the turbo is mounted on those cars, I'd recommend taking off the intake tube to see if there is any shaft play or excessive oil in the compressor.

Have you driven the car yourself?

Humphrizzle
12-21-2009, 06:34 PM
my brother bought a 2003 audi A4 quattro 1.8t about 6 months ago with 110k miles on it.

since then he's had electrical problems and timing belt change. turbo is in good shape with no replacement. As Steve said earlier, it depends on the way the car has been treated.

good luck.. overall, i love my brother's car.. It's got a great, comfortable drive, good torque, and great gas mileage (26-35 mpg). I also love the interior styling. Sleek, sexy and sturdy.

these can easily be bought for a great price.

Reaper
12-22-2009, 08:37 AM
It's cool. Based off the information you've mentioned, I'd say ~100-125k miles is when it'd be time to look into replacing it; if it doesn't already. Depending on where the turbo is mounted on those cars, I'd recommend taking off the intake tube to see if there is any shaft play or excessive oil in the compressor.

Have you driven the car yourself?

Drove the car, got "on it" once. It boosts great, according to the owner the S-Line edition has 30more HP(can't really confirm that though) and it didn't seem to have any problems. I was guessing that it'd last till about 120k, then it'd need to be replaced, which would be right around the time he graduates, and I'm sure he'll get a newer car depending on what school gives him a scholarship. Either way we'd still have to replace it, I was looking at prices online and I'm thinking he may just need a V6 to save him from the headache. He likes nice cars but isn't really worried about the 1.8t vs V6. He just wants a nice car to get him places.

AnthonyF
12-22-2009, 09:03 AM
james, please tell me you didn't just piss away your money.

the 1.8t is the most bullshit engine. I hate pretty much the entire Audi line. Everything is over engineered and poorly designed.

I've seen turbos crap out at 40k and clutches crap at 50k. Depending on car/driver. The turbo is probably already worn out. They wear quickly on those cars. .A nice upgrade could do that car some good. Remember to replace the turbo oil lines. They get gunked up easily.You don't want to starve your new turbo.

-Ant.

Reaper
12-22-2009, 09:12 AM
james, please tell me you didn't just piss away your money.

the 1.8t is the most bullshit engine. I hate pretty much the entire Audi line. Everything is over engineered and poorly designed.

I've seen turbos crap out at 40k and clutches crap at 50k. Depending on car/driver. The turbo is probably already worn out. They wear quickly on those cars. .A nice upgrade could do that car some good. Remember to replace the turbo oil lines. They get gunked up easily.You don't want to starve your new turbo.

-Ant.

Haven't bought anything. This MAY be my brothers car. He's 16 and just wants a nice ride.

My dad and I both like Audi's but I'd rather get my brother a 04-05 5series bmw, just because all he wants is an a to b 4door with leather that'll last. He wants an auto. He's not really into cars. He needs something for soccer and long trips since he travels a lot. My dad found the Audi, I went and looked at it with him, it seems really nice, but at $12k with 92,500miles on it, I needed to know what the catch was.

AnthonyF
12-22-2009, 10:05 AM
DO NOT get him this car then. He WILL NOT be able to afford the repairs to this automobile.

12k for a piece of shit audi? LOLOL

Buy a nice Accord. Leather, more power than the audi, cheaper parts.

WHo gives a fuck if you have an Audi or Benz? If you can't afford to repair it you're just a poser.

-Ant.

MeFryRice
12-22-2009, 10:23 AM
Buy a nice Accord. Leather, more power than the audi, cheaper parts.

WHo gives a fuck if you have an Audi or Benz? If you can't afford to repair it you're just a poser.

-Ant.

I'm going to have to agree with Anthony on this. I don't understand why a 16-yr old think he needs to have a BMW, Audi, MB, etc as their first car. What happen to getting something that was fairly inexpensive and reliable? I guess it's the Peachtree City mentality that you need to have the best of the best.

Like Anthony said, show him a couple nice Accords, Maximas, etc. Those all come with leather, sunroof, cd changers, etc. You could get either one of those cars with less mileage for less money and it will be a lot more reliable. If he's not really into cars than the brand name shouldn't really matter. To give you an idea, it costs my dad ~$120 to have an oil change service on his Audi. I doubt neither him nor your dad would want to pay that every ~3k miles.

Now if your brother is paying for the car with his own dime than obviously he can purchase whatever car that's within his budget.

Paul
12-22-2009, 10:36 AM
it varies b/c i've seen some people have to change out their ko3 around 90k and i've seen others up around the 150k range. its a really cheap turbo so i would just drive it until you have a problem w/ it. I know guys w/ over 150k on stock turbos w/ upgraded software ;)

and the 1.8t power plant is a beast... i've seen it hold 450whp w/ stock internals. the biggest problems is electrical w/ european cars. my e46 was the biggest piece of shit ever.

AnthonyF
12-22-2009, 10:38 AM
I'm going to have to agree with Anthony on this. I don't understand why a 16-yr old think he needs to have a BMW, Audi, MB, etc as their first car. What happen to getting something that was fairly inexpensive and reliable? I guess it's the Peachtree City mentality that you need to have the best of the best.

Like Anthony said, show him a couple nice Accords, Maximas, etc. Those all come with leather, sunroof, cd changers, etc. You could get either one of those cars with less mileage for less money and it will be a lot more reliable. If he's not really into cars than the brand name shouldn't really matter. To give you an idea, it costs my dad ~$120 to have an oil change service on his Audi. I doubt neither him nor your dad would want to pay that every ~3k miles.

Now if your brother is paying for the car with his own dime than obviously he can purchase whatever car that's within his budget.

Totally forgot about the Maxima. I LOVE that car. It looks bad ass, the interior is sexy as fuck and damn does it HAUL ass. That 3.5 in the Altimas/Maximas will pin u into the seat. A few customers of mine have them and I love sitting in them. Big Spacious 4 door, gobs of power, parts are fairly cheap, just an awesome car. Only FLAW is that it's FWD BUTTTT so is the Audi.

-Ant.

Reaper
12-22-2009, 11:22 AM

He's paying for half the car, and we discussed Accords, but he doesn't want one because so many kids at his school has them. He wanted an older Acura like a 04 TL or 05 TSX. Since my dad's paying half he obviously has say in the purchase. He likes Audi's and VW and BMW. The maintenance has nothing to do with it. Money really isn't an issue, it's more about the trouble of just getting it fixed, something easy to maintain, reliable, nice, good mpg, and above all SAFE. My bro actually likes some Volvo's. He's saved his money for as long as I can remember and has almost 6k saved up. Dad will match whatever he puts forward. So we'll see.

Being in ptc doesn't really have anything to do with it. My first car was a 1997 V6 mustang with a 5speed in it and 120kmiles on it. Clear coat was coming up, spoiler was broken, tint peeling..and it cost $3,000. My brother has been smart with his $ and wants a nice car, he doesn't want an accord, civic or mustang, and isn't allowed to have a "fast" car. Dad saw the A4 and liked it. Thats why we are where we are right now. Being the Lexus guy I am, I'd like to see him in one, but thats up to him, it's his money.

MeFryRice
12-22-2009, 02:17 PM
He's paying for half the car, and we discussed Accords, but he doesn't want one because so many kids at his school has them. He wanted an older Acura like a 04 TL or 05 TSX. Since my dad's paying half he obviously has say in the purchase. He likes Audi's and VW and BMW. The maintenance has nothing to do with it. Money really isn't an issue, it's more about the trouble of just getting it fixed, something easy to maintain, reliable, nice, good mpg, and above all SAFE. My bro actually likes some Volvo's. He's saved his money for as long as I can remember and has almost 6k saved up. Dad will match whatever he puts forward. So we'll see.

The TL and TSX would be a good car to begin with. I would definitely stay away from VW at all costs; terrible reliability and high repair bills. I would suggest he gets something he is able to work on if it were to ever fail. This could ultimately save both him and your parents money in the long run.

Just because he's managed to save up $6k doesn't mean he should spend it all on the car. He should take into account insurance, gas, unexpected repairs, etc. Have you, him or your parent's looked to see what insurace would be for any of the cars he's interested in? That could be a deciding factor as well.

Being in ptc doesn't really have anything to do with it. My first car was a 1997 V6 mustang with a 5speed in it and 120kmiles on it. Clear coat was coming up, spoiler was broken, tint peeling..and it cost $3,000. My brother has been smart with his $ and wants a nice car, he doesn't want an accord, civic or mustang, and isn't allowed to have a "fast" car. Dad saw the A4 and liked it. Thats why we are where we are right now. Being the Lexus guy I am, I'd like to see him in one, but thats up to him, it's his money.

I thought your first car was an LS400?

Peachtree City seems to give this effect that anything shy of a European luxury car is not good enough. I'm not saying your brother has this mentality but look at how the rest of the kids are. They're used to getting H2's, E46 & E90/92 3-series, E39's etc.

Please don't take my posts as being a dick or anything, I'm just trying to play devils advocate. I'd hate to see your brother get into a car that's way over his ability to fix if it were to break. Trust me, I was the same way when it time for me to get my first car so I know what he's going through.

Reaper
12-22-2009, 04:17 PM
They'll put him on my dads Yukon so it'll be cheaper.

My first car was an LS400, but I had it for all of a month and got caught going way too fast, but it was a 1990 with 180k miles on it and I later bought a Mustang and had it for a year and a half until I got the IS300.

Everything is a factor of course, he is actually pissed about having to spend his money, but he wants a decent car. He likes the TL's way better than the TSX but he likes the TSX price. Were actually looking at cars right now and if he can find a decent TL for under 11k then they may jump on it. He gets his license in 3 weeks and I'll be gone in 3 months(no more taking him around), so I'm sure they'll decide on something soon.

You weren't being a dick bud, I know where your coming from. Your one of the few stand up guys from Fayette Co. that I actually have respect for.

MeFryRice
12-23-2009, 09:57 AM
Everything is a factor of course, he is actually pissed about having to spend his money, but he wants a decent car. He likes the TL's way better than the TSX but he likes the TSX price. Were actually looking at cars right now and if he can find a decent TL for under 11k then they may jump on it. He gets his license in 3 weeks and I'll be gone in 3 months(no more taking him around), so I'm sure they'll decide on something soon.

Instead of him being "pissed" that's he's having to spend his own money, he should be grateful that your father is being nice enough to even hand over a dollar towards his first car.

Both of those cars are really nice. Since it's a Honda, mileage shouldn't be as big of a concern as long as it's been maintained. :)

I don't know how he feels about this color combination (I personally like it) but here's a good one for the price. You could definitely talk them down in price and meet his budget.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/ctd/1517054299.html

Reaper
12-23-2009, 10:29 AM
Instead of him being "pissed" that's he's having to spend his own money, he should be grateful that your father is being nice enough to even hand over a dollar towards his first car.

Both of those cars are really nice. Since it's a Honda, mileage shouldn't be as big of a concern as long as it's been maintained. :)

I don't know how he feels about this color combination (I personally like it) but here's a good one for the price. You could definitely talk them down in price and meet his budget.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/ctd/1517054299.html

Oh he's grateful, he just doesn't want to spend a lot of his money, therefore wanting to get a less expensive car.

I'm going to show that to them this afternoon. Thanks buddy:goodjob::cheers::boobies: