PDA

View Full Version : No Power on. Need troubleshooting help

Danny
12-21-2009, 11:27 AM
One of my systems here at the office apparently died over the weekend. When i push the power switch absolutely nothing happens. At first I thought power supply, so I jumped pin 15 and 16 of the PSU to get it to turn on with everything unplugged (PSU running by itself, no power to system components). It actually turned on just fine, and a checked the voltages of the main 24pin connector, all is well. Then i thought my cases power switch might be broken, so I jumped the PS pins on the mobo, this didn't work (everything except hard drives and dvd plugged in). I then removed ram, tried both jump starting and using the case power switch, this didn't work. Then I removed the graphics card, tried the power switch (didn't work), then tried jump starting and everything appeared to fire up.

After narrowing it down a little more, its specifically once I plug in the PCIx power into the graphics card the system then fails to jump start. At no point in time could i get the system to power on using the case power switch.

Any ideas as to how to go about troubleshooting this? Could I unplug everything but the power going to the graphics card, then short out pin 15 and 16 on the 24pin connector from the PSU to see if it works. This should rule out everything except the graphics card and the PSU, right?

Any suggestions would be great. I am going to go procure a graphics card and PSU to try those out, should be able to dig those out of a box at home for testing.

Gigabyte Ultra-Durable 3 ga-ex58-ud3r
Corsair 750TX (750w)
Nvidia fx3800
Corsair 3x2gb dominator
Core i-7 2.66ghz

Danny
12-21-2009, 12:38 PM
Just swapped graphics card with another machine. The problem machine now boots if u jump the PS pins on the mobo, but doesnt boot using the case power switch.

The donor machine boots just fine, like normal, with the problem machines graphics card installed. The donor machine does have some slow graphics, but i have a feeling its just driver issues.

grizz311
12-21-2009, 01:05 PM
you could have shorted your mobo. Make sure there is nothing metal touching your motherboard on the side where its screwed into the case. Regarding your experiment = makes absolutely no sense to me..... my brain just exploded

Danny
12-21-2009, 03:13 PM
tested the power switch, its bad. So i hooked the reset switch up to the PS pins on the mobo and all is well.

I feel retarded now. How is jumping the 2 PS pins on the mobo any different than hooking a switch up to the same two pins, then pressing the switch. I am stumped. Guess i need to have a spare switch on had for testing purposes.

If anyone can shed some techy light on this, it would be greatly appreciated.

grizz, thanks man. Nothing was shorting on the back side, she has a cleannnn backside :D

grizz311
12-22-2009, 02:43 AM
tested the power switch, its bad. So i hooked the reset switch up to the PS pins on the mobo and all is well.

I feel retarded now. How is jumping the 2 PS pins on the mobo any different than hooking a switch up to the same two pins, then pressing the switch. I am stumped. Guess i need to have a spare switch on had for testing purposes.

If anyone can shed some techy light on this, it would be greatly appreciated.

grizz, thanks man. Nothing was shorting on the back side, she has a cleannnn backside :D

glad you resolved this :) I hope this doesn't happen to me, because iw ould probably just toss my pc out of my window:D

AtifSajid
12-28-2009, 08:01 PM
Regarding your experiment = makes absolutely no sense to me..... my brain just exploded

ditto that..