PDA

View Full Version : high mileage e46?

PROŽ
12-21-2009, 08:20 AM
I am thinking about selling my del sol...edit:I am going to sell my car and get another car.

I really would like to get an e46. My question is this:
One of my friends have a 2000 5 speed 323i that she is selling with 140,000+ miles.
I also found an automatic 2000 323ci with 160,000 miles on it. I am told it will need to replace throttle wiring harness for the 323ci. Anyone have any idea how much this will run?

And any advice for/against high mileage e46s?

I found a lot of insight searching through the various bmw forums, just wanted to see if anyone had additional suggestions, and moreso find out about the pricing for the harness.

Thanks/reps for help

tnomud
12-21-2009, 08:34 AM
Check for sludge and codes. I strongly suggest pulling codes and making sure the car is ready for emissions (readiness codes all ready). BMW makes a great car, but dumb little things can throw codes and cost a bundle trying to get it tagged. I am about to part out an M3, becuase it has me so aggrivated with stupid emissions BS........

Reaper
12-21-2009, 02:11 PM
Check for sludge and codes. I strongly suggest pulling codes and making sure the car is ready for emissions (readiness codes all ready). BMW makes a great car, but dumb little things can throw codes and cost a bundle trying to get it tagged. I am about to part out an M3, becuase it has me so aggrivated with stupid emissions BS........

exactly what i was going to say. E36 and E30 are much better high mileage wise. E46 has a lot of problems past 120k.

Atlblkz06
12-21-2009, 10:47 PM
Check for VANOS problems - heard it goes bad right at 100k and gets really noisy.
It's about 1k with labor to fix it with an aftermarket Dr. Vanos kit

http://www.drvanos.com/