PDA

View Full Version : Misc any wine drinkers???

EJdm
12-20-2009, 11:41 PM
okay im pretty new to wine...i had a few here and there usually at my friends places but nothing serious...i want some just to have at the house especially with the holidays around the corner...okay so here is the question which wine bottle should i get??? something dry with little alcohol just to drink and enjoy dinner...red wine...

nreggie454
12-20-2009, 11:49 PM
You can usually find a decent Australian Shiraz at a fair price.

EJdm
12-21-2009, 12:40 AM
taste wise??...strong???

ATL_EG
12-21-2009, 12:46 AM
personally i love trader joe's wine (and the price)

FasTech
12-21-2009, 12:46 AM
Most men try to play the tough game and claim they don't like wine, but most of the time its either they haven't had the right kind yet or they're flat out lying. I love certain wines. I get Tennesse mountain wine from a good friend of mine really cheap. He orders it from they people that make it in Tennesse. They have white wine, red wine, flavored wines, etc. I mostly like the white wine for special occassions or the red wine for like fine family dinners or just for drinking period. Alc. level is 14% to where as most wines in stores around here is 8% at most. I can't remember they company name right off, but I'll find out tommorrow and let you know if you're interrested in some very good wine. Pricing is different with different size bottle, flavors, etc.. but the white wine is about $30 a bottle and the red is pretty much the same if not alittle less.

If you're just wanting something simple but not expensive, arbor mist is alright. Usually go with Mixed Berry or strawberry but thats cheap and taste does get better with how much money you spend. So thats just something else to think about. Also, age is another thing that plays a big role in wine. The older it is, the better it taste. I have a bottle of Kelts homemade Kentucky wine thats like 11yrs old and I haven't opened it yet. Doubt I will until I get married or pop the magic question to whatever lucky girl. lol.

EJdm
12-21-2009, 12:53 AM
lol k...price isnt really an issue bc i sometime get nice liquor for 40-80 bucks...i just dont want to do it anymore and want to just relax with some wine now...i have had arbor mist and not a big fan lol...im looking something dry and with less then 14% maybe 8% is good...red, dry and less then 14% alc...im also looking around online...i had merlot but they're a little to strong...

FasTech
12-21-2009, 01:00 AM
lol k...price isnt really an issue bc i sometime get nice liquor for 40-80 bucks...i just dont want to do it anymore and want to just relax with some wine now...i have had arbor mist and not a big fan lol...im looking something dry and with less then 14% maybe 8% is good...red, dry and less then 14% alc...im also looking around online...

Homemade wine, done right, is what you want. Its just hard finding good homemade wine. I'm not talking bath tub whiskey wine from the hills in Bama. But, if you're just wanting something simple, price is not to much of an issue, and good clean crispy taste then I would go with Thackrey Sirius. Its around $50 a bottle but its very good. Not sure of % though. I also had a bottle of Buccella Cabernet last year for Christmas and it was extremely good. But, its pretty expensive. Depending on where you get it, it rounds from $130 to $140 a bottle.

FasTech
12-21-2009, 01:02 AM
Oh, if price is really not an option but you really don't wanna spend anything over $100... then try anything from Silver Oak. Most of there stuff is below the $100 unless you get to the more fine wine. The '91 Carbernet is alright but if I drink Silver Oak I would rather choose '92. Its a couple extra $ though.

ISAtlanta300
12-21-2009, 10:51 AM
Get some Malbec.

/thread.

EJdm
12-21-2009, 11:09 AM
okay i'll look into those...yea something under $100 should be fine...

Deke
12-21-2009, 12:29 PM
Cab and Pinot Noir are generally my favorites. There are a lot of types I haven't tried (I've dabbled with wine for awhile, but due to a new lady in my life have been drinking a lot more of it.)

Not being a huge connoisseur, I'm generally quite happy with bottles in the $15-20 price range.

5speed
12-21-2009, 01:10 PM
$10 and up is my thing. Candoni is a good Italian wine. I have tried their Pinot Grigio and Merlot. It is typically on sale at Kroger for $9. Ecco Domani is pretty good too and is about $10. That's normally what I drink since it is great and affordable for someone who drinks wine every week. Don't be fooled by the common thought that wine has to be European to be good. Wines from here are actually highly praised by Europeans.

EJdm
12-21-2009, 10:45 PM
kool...i was talking to my buddy at work and he said something about concha de toro or rose and they are pretty decent...

LizBiz
12-22-2009, 12:12 AM
I am not partial to wine but if I do drink it, I love some Moscato or a red wine sangria. I like fruity taste, but I can hang with a nice Pinot Grigio. Go to Trader Joe's downtown they have A LOT of wine to choose from. And you can also request to taste wine at some resturants. I know Cheesecake Factory does it. :cheers:

Drew
12-22-2009, 01:54 AM
One thing that makes wine so nice is that there is really no right or wrong. Just because we like something doesnt mean that you will. If I were you I would start out just trying some different types that arent so expensive. Wine mags have "Great Value" wines that are ranked high but dont cost you a lot of money especially when your just starting out. I like Wine Spectator because my taste seems to be in line with theirs. I worked at a winery for a while and can promise you, just because something is expensive or older doesnt make it good. I usually stay with a 06 to 07 Ruffino Chianti Classico or Columbia Crest Two Vines Cab. which are fairly inexpensive. Many would say to hold on to them but I like them now. Drink what you enjoy, not what is most expensive. Good luck.
-Drew

EJdm
12-22-2009, 09:49 AM
lol that true...i just wanted something nice and good just to enjoy dinner and hang out with a few friends and family...

ISAtlanta300
12-22-2009, 07:39 PM
kool...i was talking to my buddy at work and he said something about concha de toro or rose and they are pretty decent...

They have a Concha y Toro Cabernet/ Merlot blend at Costco for 7.99 for a big bottle. Can't go wrong with that.

EJdm
12-22-2009, 10:47 PM
i'll check into all of these and try everything over the years and see what i enjoy lol thanks for all the help you guys...

JDMbabe
12-29-2009, 12:29 PM
wine is gooood and i personally like arbor mist berry flava

d1esel12
01-26-2010, 11:19 PM
chardonnay and mascato are awesome. mascato is really fruity and nice to drink whenever, even though its a dessert wine.

cwhiteboy
01-26-2010, 11:52 PM
The wife and I drink a lot of white wine with our dinners. I prefer chardonnay, but the wife prefers a pinot grigio. I love all types of red wines, but they give me really bad heart burn, so I generally stick to white wines or beer (fine beer, not cheap crap)

tjmhillz
01-27-2010, 12:43 AM
my wife loves wines. she drinks blackstone merlot and some other merlot. i tried a few wines but didnt like them. so i stick to drinkin beer lol..

ISAtlanta300
01-27-2010, 01:16 PM
chardonnay and mascato are awesome. mascato is really fruity and nice to drink whenever, even though its a dessert wine.

Moscato.

I would drink that after a nice dinner.....

For something in the sweet category to have at any time, try some Riesling - Spatlese or Auslese. Perfect chilling wine.