PDA

View Full Version : Low/Rough idle on every cold start

tombie2006
12-19-2009, 09:46 AM
Alright my title states it all. Everytime I start my car first thing in the morning the idle is rough/low. You can definitely hear the intake sucking, and late throttle response. If I feather the throttle at about 1500 rpms its good and then down to about 1k and the sucking sound is gone as well. Once it hits its usual 600-700 rpms is when it just acts up. After it warms up after about 5-10 min it idles perfectly fine, 1200 rpms (little high), no more abnormal intake suckage, car runs perfect when being driven of course after warm up. After sitting a few hours, for instance at work from 7am till lunch, 11am it does the same thing again. I posted a video of just starting. What is your take on this issue? I really dont know where to start but maybe at the IACV, clean it out and possibly the pcv. Any other input would be GREATLY appreciated. I've been doing my share of "searching" and am still in the process of looking for clues, just nothing has come this way.

Before warm-up, just starting

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j57/bordercrossin/th_DSCN0583.jpg (http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j57/bordercrossin/?action=view&current=DSCN0583.flv)

After warm-up, been running 15 min

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j57/bordercrossin/th_DSCN0584.jpg (http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j57/bordercrossin/?action=view&current=DSCN0584.flv)

Tech5
12-19-2009, 10:24 AM
could be a leaking head gasket and what happens is that coolant is leaking into the cylinder after you shut it down.When you crank it up in the morning it has to burn that coolant up there for skipping , then when it burns that up it runs fine.... Had a few 240 has this problem and it never ran hot but leaked into number 1 cylinder.... After i shut it down after about hour or so driving and took that plug out I could see coolant going back into that cylinder. I took a mirror and placed it over that cylinder with the plug out and yup it was coolant for sure...

tombie2006
12-19-2009, 10:39 AM
ill surely have to take a look at that and let you know what it is, i can probably do that today, but as far as the head gasket goes, that won't be until i get my christmas/new yrs vacation when it starts on the 26th. Is the S14 sr headgasket the same as the s13 sr? I've found plenty of part #s for the s13 sr

Tech5
12-19-2009, 10:41 AM
Skipping is a misfire so either fuel injector,plug,cap,rotor,ignition,coil,headgaskt, etc

check it all

tombie2006
12-19-2009, 10:46 AM
it is "street tuned" per say, with the poor safc 2, looking into getting either power fc or greddy ultimate. the exhaust definitely smells rich. ive figured that was maybe what could be causing it as well

tombie2006
01-02-2010, 05:19 PM
Took somewhat of a stab at it this week, but throwing my guts up all week :upchuck: and my son having some sort of issue with his lungs has been taking up majority of my time. But I got a chance to look at things, kinda. My compression #s are great across the board and no signs of leaking anywhere. I unplugged my MAF the car died right away. I cleaned my IACV and no change, though I can still adjust the idle. Lastly I unplugged the TPS, the idle went up and all the issues were gone. Other than that throttle response was a little rough/sluggish, plugged my TPS back in and back to square one until the warm up. I don't have a multimeter nor do I know anyone that has one to check the ohms of my TPS. Hell, to be honest with you, I've never used one lol :doh:. Never had to. Anyways, does anyone have a vacuum diagram for the s14 blacktop (vvt)? so that i can make sure i have everything plugged that needs to be. Thanks for all of your help again guys. I've found plenty of write-ups for the voltage of the TPS, and the car is just throwing a non helpful code of 55, so that's I guess kinda good to know...kinda. Hopefully after I get the car tuned IF the problem lies within it running rich that'll cure it out.

Theycall_Metue
01-02-2010, 10:16 PM
is the car straight piped? has nothing to do with the starting issue but i notice, after warm up, it makes a skip like sound. sounds like you have a burnt vial

tombie2006
01-03-2010, 10:47 AM
You mean valve. Yeah its straight piped, from the Turbo back, no cat, no resonator. Also while I'm thinking about it, I can try the coolant temp sensor

ballistic08
01-03-2010, 07:06 PM
I had a similar problem with my prelude and it was the coolant temp sensor.

swimshark
01-04-2010, 03:06 PM
Do you know how to pull codes on your ECU? There can be codes that wont bring on a CEL. I had a knock sensor and coolant temp sensor codes on my car and CEL never came on.

tombie2006
01-04-2010, 09:09 PM
okay check this out lol. When i pulled the codes, i pulled a code 55 at first. I replaced the coolant sensor, nothing. BUT I found a i THINK a huge boost leak, right here at this tube/hose (look at picture) not sure if im supposed to block it off or what the deal is, but i blocked it off. thats where that insane suckage was coming from. anyways car is idling real low about 550ish and now throwing a code 12, (12 - Air Flow Meter). I drove it around the block hoping it would kinda work itself out...negative. When i come to a stop it dies, to keep it running i have to feather the gas. The idle wont adjust. Before i blocked it, it was throwing a code 55 and idle could adjust, WTF. about to kick my own ass :thinking: I unplugged the "boost leak" and now everything is back how it was, at least i dont have to feather it to keep it running. Also mad smoke once its blocked, would running lean make it smoke?

On cold pipe side, runs up to under where the IACV connects. Does that possibly connect on a bigger nipple on the cold pipe?

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j57/bordercrossin/DSCN0617.jpg

swimshark
01-04-2010, 11:32 PM
So does the pipe shown in the pic run to the IACV?

If it does it needs to be hooked up to the intake system also.

tombie2006
01-05-2010, 10:36 PM
well i got a nipple welded onto my cold pipe today and KAPOW :leghump:now it runs about as good as sex feels. Running a hose from that line to it. Talk about running like a champ and no more BS start ups. I want to thank you guys out there for helping me with this pain in the ass fix, not hard, but it was hidden since that tube had a rubber hose on it leading to nowhere. Figured it out after removing some stuff to replace my coolant sensor. So once again look and listen for vacuum leaks, sooner or later you're bound to find your problem causing issues IF that happens to be the case.

-Kenneth

swimshark
01-05-2010, 10:46 PM
glad it runs like a champ. sounds like it was the iacv for sure.