PDA

View Full Version : Need Audi A4 help

jhadleyh
12-17-2009, 09:08 PM
K I was going to trade a member here on IA for his 99 Audi A4. It's a awd 1.8T

This is what he sent me in a PM I'm not sure what could be wrong because im not an Audi guy. So I was hoping I could get some help here.

PM

There it is... 190k on the body (never tell it), 110k on the new motor with receipts... New timing belt, water pump, etc when the new motor was put in 20k ago

It's having an odd issue right now, the headlight switch was screwy (happens on these cars) took the steering wheel off to fix it, ever since then it's had a bad skip? Never skipped before I pulled the wheel off, battery was off for a few hours was told it may need to be reflashed... idk I'm not an Audi guy. Either way it should be a simple fix I just don't have time to mess with it. Has brand new (less than 1k miles) Cooper tires, and a nearly fresh oil change.
I wouldn't try to drive it... It runs fine above 3,000 rpms but down low it has a weird skip, and above 3,000 from time to time it shuts down... almost like it loses fuel or spark for a few..

any help will be appreciated guys reps will be given.

jhadleyh
12-17-2009, 10:08 PM
damn i thought someone would know lol

Elbow
12-17-2009, 10:18 PM
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeromain?id=61

Tech5
12-17-2009, 10:29 PM
sounds like someone has a POS

jhadleyh
12-17-2009, 10:30 PM
sounds like someone has a POS

Yeah thanks for the help.:goodjob:

Tech5
12-17-2009, 10:35 PM
Yeah thanks for the help.:goodjob:
Glad I could tell you the truth, hope you have a merry christmas

jhadleyh
12-17-2009, 10:42 PM
Glad I could tell you the truth, hope you have a merry christmas

It's not a piece of shit....I'm not sure if you have a problem with VW's/Audi's but the car is in immaculate shape. The car hasn't been dogged on or anything. Like it states when he took the wheel off to fix the headlight problem it started skipping. The headlight problem is fixed now BTW he just texted me and told me that.

Tech5
12-17-2009, 10:47 PM
Sorry to bust your little bubble, but taking the steering wheel off has NOT one thing to do with the engine skipping...

Start with

Plugs,coil packs I have replaced these coil packs many manyy timesssss

unplug each one while its running an see which one doesnt change any idle or surging.... If you unplugg and the motor boggs, go to the next the one that does nothing that is the cylinder that is skipping, try plug, then coil...Most likely a coil man.,...

and yes I hate these cars, I work on them all the time and are some bigg POS.... Yes I said that due to all the time they are in the shop even at 50k miles...and they smell like crayons!

jhadleyh
12-17-2009, 10:51 PM
Sorry to bust your little bubble, but taking the steering wheel off has NOT one thing to do with the engine skipping...

Start with

Plugs,coil packs I have replaced these coil packs many manyy timesssss

unplug each one while its running an see which one doesnt change any idle or surging.... If you unplugg and the motor boggs, go to the next the one that does nothing that is the cylinder that is skipping, try plug, then coil...Most likely a coil man.,...

and yes I hate these cars, I work on them all the time and are some bigg POS.... Yes I said that due to all the time they are in the shop even at 50k miles...and they smell like crayons!

ok anyway. Im just giving you the info I was given bro. Like I said he took the wheel of to fuck with a headlight switch or some shit and when he put it back on that's when the problem occurred. Your not busting my bubble, I'm just looking for suggestions on what is wrong with the car not opinions on what people think about Audi/VW. But yeah thanks I'll check the coil and plugs and see if that's what it is.

Tech5
12-17-2009, 10:56 PM
Well he is either not telling you the truth, or at the same time his coil pack went out, or fauled plug, or timing issue, or headgaskt/warped head Not all the times it runs hot, could be leaking into that one cylinder...

Also had a problem with a bad ECU but it was with 2 cylinders though...... also could be a injector but these don't go out that bad but could....

I work on these for a living as most our customers own audii and volks and from me working on about 4,000+ of these cars i can tell you first hand they are crap , hope you think about a better car next time though....... I have seen some run really well and last alittle while, but rare... They have a lot of problems

tranny,axles,wiring,coil packs,maf,turbo,cats,etc you name it I fixed it before on these cars...

Only thing I can nOT seem to fix is the beetles crayon smell ! lololol

Hope some of my info will help you , but I can also tell you the parts are not cheap either

jhadleyh
12-17-2009, 10:58 PM
Well he is either not telling you the truth, or at the same time his coil pack went out, or fauled plug, or timing issue, or headgaskt/warped head Not all the times it runs hot, could be leaking into that one cylinder...

Also had a problem with a bad ECU but it was with 2 cylinders though...... also could be a injector but these don't go out that bad but could....

I work on these for a living as most our customers own audii and volks and from me working on about 4,000+ of these cars i can tell you first hand they are crap , hope you think about a better car next time though....... I have seen some run really well and last alittle while, but rare... They have a lot of problems

tranny,axles,wiring,coil packs,maf,turbo,cats,etc you name it I fixed it before on these cars...

Hope some of my info will help you , but I can also tell you the parts are not cheap either

Yeah this is just gonna be a toy so I don't mind little problems here and there. If it tears up I will just build the shit out of it when i get back from Iraq.

Tech5
12-17-2009, 11:00 PM
thanks for serving

jhadleyh
12-17-2009, 11:04 PM
thanks for serving

Thank You for appreciating it.

Tech5
12-17-2009, 11:16 PM
My Freedom speaks enough but I need to tell it !!!

nsany(atl)
12-18-2009, 08:29 AM
a poorley maintained 1.8 is othing but trouble. All starts with the turbo and an owner who didn't do regular maintence

Elbow
12-18-2009, 08:36 AM
Even a well maintained Audi is nothing but trouble lol.

HotSauce
12-18-2009, 09:08 AM
OP, if you want, I have a VAG-COM and can scan the car. As big a PITA they can be, they usually tell you what's wrong.

I'd bet a ton of money he doesn't have the updated coilpacks installed. That said, there are a number of other items I would check, most importantly timing belt and control arms.

*edit* After re-reading it, I'd put even more money on the coil packs. Car is probably in limp mode. Check engine light flashing?

envision
12-18-2009, 11:26 AM
the worse thing with these cars is once they start having problems they never seem to stop having them.

To bad they usually look so nice

03RCode
12-18-2009, 12:01 PM
OP, if you want, I have a VAG-COM and can scan the car. As big a PITA they can be, they usually tell you what's wrong.

I'd bet a ton of money he doesn't have the updated coilpacks installed. That said, there are a number of other items I would check, most importantly timing belt and control arms.

*edit* After re-reading it, I'd put even more money on the coil packs. Car is probably in limp mode. Check engine light flashing?

Updated coil packs were installed when the new motor was installed. Timing belt is brand new, new spark plugs. I haven't checked the coil packs yet as I haven't had time to mess with it, but when the car misses it acts like you cut the switch off for about a full second then it picks back up... didn't really seem like a coil pack issue to me, then again I've never messed with these cars. Car ran excellent until the day I pulled the steering wheel off to fix the headlight switch, battery stayed unhooked for a full day as I kept getting distracted while working on it, the next day as soon as it fired it wasn't running right.

03RCode
12-18-2009, 12:03 PM

No loss of coolant, runs cool as can be. Put in brand new plugs, and they all still look good. Did the throttle body alignment before I fired the car up. I'm totally clueless on these cars, all I know is that it was running great one minute, after I fixed the headlight switch it started running rough.

Tech5
12-18-2009, 01:15 PM
I still bet its a coil pack

Tech5
12-18-2009, 01:16 PM
Unless 2 cylinders are missing then it would be the ignition control module its on the passenger side fender

HotSauce
12-18-2009, 02:07 PM
Unless 2 cylinders are missing then it would be the ignition control module its on the passenger side fender

This is another good guess as well. What year is the A4? I still think pulling codes on this thing is by far the easiest way out.

Also, is the CEL on? If so, is it solid or flashing?

Tech5
12-18-2009, 02:10 PM
This is another good guess as well. What year is the A4? I still think pulling codes on this thing is by far the easiest way out.

my guess is that its flashing, also I have seen this happen to this same car, that it will throw a misfire codes and come to find out someone installed the timing belt gear on backwards causing it to be off time there for going into limp mode... talking about a mad customer after they paid a show 800 bucks, but now they have to pay me as I am not that shop...But I only charged them 200 bucks the whole front end has to come off

jhadleyh
12-18-2009, 02:19 PM
my guess is that its flashing, also I have seen this happen to this same car, that it will throw a misfire codes and come to find out someone installed the timing belt gear on backwards causing it to be off time there for going into limp mode... talking about a mad customer after they paid a show 800 bucks, but now they have to pay me as I am not that shop...But I only charged them 200 bucks the whole front end has to come off

Holy shit I hope the timing belt gear isn't on backwards. I will be aggravated.

jhadleyh
12-18-2009, 02:20 PM

it's a 99

Tech5
12-18-2009, 02:23 PM
Holy shit I hope the timing belt gear isn't on backwards. I will be aggravated.

I have seen this before as it looks it could go on both ways

jhadleyh
12-18-2009, 02:28 PM
I have seen this before as it looks it could go on both ways

I will cry if I have to do something as simple yet so aggravating since you say you have to remove the whole fucking front end.

Tech5
12-18-2009, 02:31 PM
Yup sure do....and if it was me I would take this to a shop , that can diagnos it for you

HotSauce
12-18-2009, 03:38 PM
it's a 99

Is it an early or late build 99? Are the headlights one or two piece?

jhadleyh
12-18-2009, 03:41 PM
hell i don't know here's the pics of the car no front shot though.

Tech5
12-18-2009, 03:43 PM
On the inside of the door is the VIN tag... If its before built meaning

1/99 then its a 98 after 6/99 its a 99 makes sense>?

jhadleyh
12-18-2009, 03:45 PM
On the inside of the door is the VIN tag... If its before built meaning

1/99 then its a 98 after 6/99 its a 99 makes sense>?

yeah that makes sense but im not around the car to look at it. It's 2 hours away from me.

VTECking
12-18-2009, 03:46 PM
ok anyway. Im just giving you the info I was given bro. Like I said he took the wheel of to fuck with a headlight switch or some shit and when he put it back on that's when the problem occurred. Your not busting my bubble, I'm just looking for suggestions on what is wrong with the car not opinions on what people think about Audi/VW. But yeah thanks I'll check the coil and plugs and see if that's what it is.
If you want a German car your better off with a E30 or a E36 BMW. They are built nice and their motors are damn near industructible.

jhadleyh
12-18-2009, 03:47 PM
If you want a German car your better off with a E30 or a E36 BMW. They are built nice and their motors are damn near industructible.

right......I don't want a e30 or e36 Im trading this car straight up for another vehicle so yeah :goodjob:

Tech5
12-18-2009, 03:48 PM

True story but if parts fail still cost a lot

VTECking
12-18-2009, 03:51 PM
right......I don't want a e30 or e36 Im trading this car straight up for another vehicle so yeah :goodjob:
Then Id rocomend finding a new car that you can trade straight up with because Audi and VW are absolute nightmares with all their electrical and motor issues.

Tech5
12-18-2009, 03:52 PM
another true story

VTECking
12-18-2009, 03:53 PM
Im just saying if you trade this guy for his Audi you will most likely regret it in the NEAR future.

Tech5
12-18-2009, 03:54 PM
Im just saying if you trade this guy for his Audi you will most likely regret it in the NEAR future.

You mean now!

VTECking
12-18-2009, 03:55 PM
You mean now! Lol, yea now. I fucking hate Audi and VW. To be honest I'd rather have a KIA over a Audi or VW any day.

Tech5
12-18-2009, 03:57 PM
Lol, yea now. I fucking hate Audi and VW. To be honest I'd rather have a KIA over a Audi or VW any day.

I would own a ford before I own a audii or Volks... Oh wait I do own a ford:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

4eyedbox
12-18-2009, 04:17 PM

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p228/1crxsir/E36%20M3/Engine%20Build/9.jpg

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p228/1crxsir/E36%20M3/Engine%20Build/4.jpg

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p228/1crxsir/E36%20M3/Engine%20Build/1.jpg

Of course the hydrolock from a cracked cylinder didn't happen until 205K, but still it wasn't indestructible.:D

True story but if parts fail still cost a lot

Not really. Their are a couple companies that sell OEM parts for European cars for pretty cheap.

HotSauce
12-18-2009, 08:49 PM
That's an early build 99. The reason I ask is because the 99.5 is the most desireable year, and worth a bit of coin, especially if you're looking to go big turbo.

My bet is the fix for this car is less than $200. Not to mention those sport seats are awesome.

03RCode
12-19-2009, 02:41 AM
Car has been running right for months, and has a brand new ICM.

Assolairoff
12-20-2009, 06:20 PM
We are at a total loss as what to get our DD5 for her "big" Gift this year... we have asked and asked - we have had her look through all the toy catalogs and asked her to circle things and tell us what she wants... We have good little ideas but we always like to get her one "big" gift. We already have a Wii which we love... Shes all girl - loves Hannah, icarley, Strawberry Shortcake, horses, and all things girlly... Would love some help...