PDA

View Full Version : General Chat Do you think the term JDM is over used..??

lcortes32
12-17-2009, 11:03 AM
I know this has been asked before, but just wondering what new commers think.I see the Term JDM every where is it being used correctly? Are people over using it? I see people saying "JDM KING" or "JDM BABE" damn come on JDM Means Japanese Domestic Market and you are not the king of it nor your the babe of it.

Just Sayin'

Please Discuss..

JDMbabe
12-17-2009, 11:04 AM
that was a nickname my boyfriend gave to me before i was even on here

PSINXS
12-17-2009, 11:05 AM
u cant really overuse something that has true meaning.

PSINXS
12-17-2009, 11:06 AM
that was a nickname my boyfriend gave to me before i was even on here

bish wasnt nobody talkin about yo damn name. come off your high horse.

lcortes32
12-17-2009, 11:06 AM
I mean but do you think the term gets misused or overused?

JDMbabe
12-17-2009, 11:07 AM
are you serious?
it clearly says JDM BABE!
please read thread AGAIN
ok thank you

n00bsrus
yes. it has. half the time what people claim is "JDM" ends up being "EBAYDM"

PURP
but the majority of the people using the term JDM have rotas and ebay coilovers... so yes, it is overused... They think if they have an advan sticker or spoon sticker above their side markers, then they automatically qualify for saying they're jdm as fuck

PURP
12-17-2009, 11:08 AM
Oh.... this is also the wrong section for this.. this belongs in the car talk section..

quickdodgeŽ
12-17-2009, 11:08 AM
u cant really overuse something that has true meaning.

Most of the time it's not true meaning. My car? One of the only cars on this site that is true JDM. Later, QD.

JDMbabe
12-17-2009, 11:09 AM
i agree its over used as well
idek how to change my name and
ive been wanting to

oneSLOWex
12-17-2009, 11:10 AM
This thread is JDM as fuck dude. LOL

Just because its clean and simple does not make it JDM. Rotas and Drags do not make you JDM either...

PSINXS
12-17-2009, 11:10 AM
are you serious?
it clearly says JDM BABE!
please read thread AGAIN
ok thank you

hey woman. hush up. before i put my jungle in yo fever.

but overused? i cant really say so. jdm girls do exist( aka japanese girls like jdm babe) the jdm market is still poppin. so i cant say its misused.

only when referring to lame ass cars wit no authentic jdm parts is when the misuse occurs.

lcortes32
12-17-2009, 11:12 AM
but the majority of the people using the term JDM have rotas and ebay coilovers... so yes, it is overused... They think if they have an advan sticker or spoon sticker above their side markers, then they automatically qualify for saying they're jdm as fuck

Bravo

Couldn't of said it better sir

PSINXS
12-17-2009, 11:18 AM
Most of the time it's not true meaning. My car? One of the only cars on this site that is true JDM. Later, QD.

i know u got an old school civic. ive never sen it though. how is it JDM?

G'd[UP]
12-17-2009, 11:20 AM
even jdm parts dont make your car JDM... it just means you have a honda or nissan with overly priced cup holders, mirrors and other pointless parts... you car still is not jdm.

EJ25RUN
12-17-2009, 11:20 AM
I think threads like this were overused in 2007.

quickdodgeŽ
12-17-2009, 11:27 AM
i know u got an old school civic. ive never sen it though. how is it JDM?

It's as JDM as you can get. Back in the 70s Hondas for America were made in Japan and shipped here for sale. You can see it all over the car. My antenna is on the roof over the passenger side. My radio has the ON/OFF/VOLUME switch is on the passenger side of the radio while the tuning knob is on the driver's side. Even the push button presets are backwards to USA. The FM presets are on the right side and AM presets on the left side. This was all because the Japanese made as few "modifications" to the cars being shipped to the USA as they could. I even have holes (on the passenger side) in my floorboard/firewall where the clutch/gas/brake/steering column go through to the engine bay. All the brake hardware under the hood is right there on the passenger side as well. You've never seen my car?

;38621216"]even jdm parts dont make your car JDM... it just means you have a honda or nissan with overly priced cup holders, mirrors and other pointless parts... you car still is not jdm.

Exactly. I agree.

I think threads like this were overused in 2007.

Yes. Later, QD.

PSINXS
12-17-2009, 11:34 AM
It's as JDM as you can get. Back in the 70s Hondas for America were made in Japan and shipped here for sale. You can see it all over the car. My antenna is on the roof over the passenger side. My radio has the ON/OFF/VOLUME switch is on the passenger side of the radio while the tuning knob is on the driver's side. Even the push button presets are backwards to USA. The FM presets are on the right side and AM presets on the left side. This was all because the Japanese made as few "modifications" to the cars being shipped to the USA as they could. I even have holes (on the passenger side) in my floorboard/firewall where the clutch/gas/brake/steering column go through to the engine bay. All the brake hardware under the hood is right there on the passenger side as well. You've never seen my car?

now that sir is JDM as fuck. nah i dont think i have. i may have seen u riding around town thinking it was Adam Malleys old car. but i cant say i have really seen your civic.

quickdodgeŽ
12-17-2009, 11:38 AM
now that sir is JDM as fuck. nah i dont think i have. i may have seen u riding around town thinking it was Adam Malleys old car. but i cant say i have really seen your civic.

I don't know, lolol. I bought my car from Adam but this one he never drove. He hasn't driven one in years so it wasn't him either. It could have been mine. Below are the "JDM" parts, lolol. And a pic of my car when you may have seen it before paint.

A REAL JDM car, folks, lolol. Later, QD.

PSINXS
12-17-2009, 11:48 AM
yea it def had to be you. that car is really nice.

MeFryRice
12-17-2009, 12:03 PM
I have to agree that the saying/word "JDM" is thrown around a lot more than it should be. One thing that sticks out in my mind that irritates me is all the fuktards that think their Yakima roof rack is JDM. Sorry to break it to you but it's not, nothing about it is. Yakima is an American based company.

Like QD said, 99% of the cars on here are not JDM. Sure they're designed by a Japanese based company but more than likely, your Toyota was assembled in Kentucky. Unless your car is fresh off the boat, it's not to be considered "true" JDM. Just because you bought an overpriced Gathers radio does not make it JDM, it only means your going for the JDM theme.

/rant.

mocha latte cupcake
12-17-2009, 12:17 PM
i <3 my jdm. but i don't rock anything right now, however my little pure jdm is cause i only used parts you couldn't get over in the states, now a days having front end conversions and things like that don't set you apart.

if you wanna get REALLY technical unless your ish says assembled, made and built by japan peoples, in a japanese factory, using japanese technology, or fuji heavy industries i'd say about .01 percent of the cars here are "jdm"

JDM is not subjective but it is objective now a days. simply b/c america has tightened standards on certain cars with importing laws. so i feel that the average car with HKS this(being a Kansai Services part), GReddy that (better say TRUST if its jdm though), Sun Automotive *etc etc i could go on but you get the point*

when you can't afford the RHD OEM skyline or evolution whatever, you're objective is to Immitate/recreate the car with whatever means you can. Bringing seriousness to a hobby/fun scene creates tensions and loses its meaning... however seeing "jdm and ROTA" in the same sentence makes me wanna stab someone with a chopstick.

Total_Blender
12-17-2009, 12:18 PM
I have nothing to add to this thread other than that its mad tyte.

And that since the trend in Japan is replicating what the trend is here in the US, I am predicting that since the symbol used to mean "mad tyte JDM" in the US is the Japanese symbol for "student driver", I am thinking the Japanese will probably be rocking this look eventually:

http://sehlhorst.smugmug.com/Other/blog/student-driver/62702460_M7jhV-O.jpg

and they will call it "mad tyte USJDM"

BRB I'm going to find all this type of stuff I can and post it on Japanese E-bay.:ninja:

DustnU
12-17-2009, 12:22 PM
Nicely done guys!! JDM is very over used and will continue to be by the younger generations because they get even more STUPID by the year!!! Now QD that is a JDM beast LOL!

stormcrow
12-17-2009, 12:59 PM

Like QD said, 99% of the cars on here are not JDM. Sure they're designed by a Japanese based company but more than likely, your Toyota was assembled in Kentucky. Unless your car is fresh off the boat, it's not to be considered "true" JDM. Just because you bought an overpriced Gathers radio does not make it JDM, it only means your going for the JDM theme.

/rant.

Even though I understand the logic behind these, I have to disagree. Even a car that was built on Japanese soil and shipped to the States is not JDM. As the OP pointed out, JDM stands for Japanese Domestic Market. The vehicles produced in Japan and shipped here are for the USDM or United States Domestic Market.

Even though there are major similarities between the two, there are a significant differences that should be noted. The US has different emissions standards, different fuel standards, and different safety standards. This means that different components are added or subtracted depending on the market in which they are destined. There are also significant differences in ECU programming.

Heck, even the GT-R has significant differences between the different markets to which they are shipped.

Point? The only true way to be "JDM" is to purchase a vehicle that was produced for the Japenese Domestic Market. There are plenty to be had on the black/grey market. Just pray that the Feds don't come knocking on your door to impound it. :)

quickdodgeŽ
12-17-2009, 01:50 PM
if you wanna get REALLY technical unless your ish says assembled, made and built by japan peoples, in a japanese factory, using japanese technology, or fuji heavy industries i'd say about .01 percent of the cars here are "jdm"

Like I said, mine was completely, 100% built in the Land of the Rising Sun. YAY ME!!!

JDM is not subjective but it is objective now a days. simply b/c america has tightened standards on certain cars with importing laws. so i feel that the average car with HKS this(being a Kansai Services part), GReddy that (better say TRUST if its jdm though), Sun Automotive *etc etc i could go on but you get the point*

Even though I understand the logic behind these, I have to disagree. Even a car that was built on Japanese soil and shipped to the States is not JDM. As the OP pointed out, JDM stands for Japanese Domestic Market. The vehicles produced in Japan and shipped here are for the USDM or United States Domestic Market.

Even though there are major similarities between the two, there are a significant differences that should be noted. The US has different emissions standards, different fuel standards, and different safety standards. This means that different components are added or subtracted depending on the market in which they are destined. There are also significant differences in ECU programming.

You're right in some cars, especially the newer ones. But back in the 70s, my car, being built in Japan had only 2 differences. The engine (for emissions) and the placement of the steering controls/acceleration/brake pedals. Everything else is the same as it is for JDM. The radio was not American-ized. As I stated before, I still have the holes behind the dash to move everything back over to make it RHD. Later, QD.

stormcrow
12-17-2009, 01:54 PM
You're right in some cars, especially the newer ones. But back in the 70s, my car, being built in Japan had only 2 differences. The engine (for emissions) and the placement of the steering controls/acceleration/brake pedals. Everything else is the same as it is for JDM. The radio was not American-ized. As I stated before, I still have the holes behind the dash to move everything back over to make it RHD. Later, QD.

Being that the engine has changes and it is not a right-hand drive means that it was USDM. :) That was my point. Your car, even though you believe it to be, is not JDM. It's USDM.

quickdodgeŽ
12-17-2009, 02:02 PM
Being that the engine has changes and it is not a right-hand drive means that it was USDM. :) That was my point. Your car, even though you believe it to be, is not JDM. It's USDM.

We'll leave it at agree to disagree. The fact that my car was built over there and has all the little Japanese accessories makes it a true Japanese car. Later, QD.

stormcrow
12-17-2009, 02:05 PM
We'll leave it at agree to disagree. The fact that my car was built over there and has all the little Japanese accessories makes it a true Japanese car. Later, QD.

Wanna settle this with a race? :D (of course, i jest.)

quickdodgeŽ
12-17-2009, 02:11 PM
Wanna settle this with a race? :D (of course, i jest.)

All 72 of my horses against what you have? I don't even have to ask what you drive because I'm sure it's not lower than what I have, lolol. Later, QD.

stormcrow
12-17-2009, 02:14 PM
All 72 of my horses against what you have? I don't even have to ask what you drive because I'm sure it's not lower than what I have, lolol. Later, QD.

I could reverse both turbos, have them sucking air from my intake and still make more than 72hp. :lmfao:

You should have responded with - "sure, but loser is winner, right?" :)

DustnU
12-17-2009, 02:15 PM
Look in his sig, thats what he drives LOL. I'll bet on the tourtise cuz it's a HONDA!!! Nissan FTL!!

quickdodgeŽ
12-17-2009, 02:19 PM
I could reverse both turbos, have them sucking air from my intake and still make more than 72hp. :lmfao:

Probably could. But I wouldn't swap my car for anything else on the road. Later, QD.

stormcrow
12-17-2009, 02:23 PM
Probably could. But I wouldn't swap my car for anything else on the road. Later, QD.

And as well you shouldn't. Love for the car is where it's at. :)

HypnoToad
12-17-2009, 02:26 PM
my car was built in japan but its the usdm model,lol

but i could give a rats ass bout jdm.

bu villain
12-17-2009, 02:48 PM
As has been said before, JDM = Japanese Domestic Market. The keyword here is "Market" which is in reference the initial point of sale. If the car/part's initial point of sale was in Japan, then it's JDM. If the exact same car/part was sold in America then it is USDM.

Where the item was created is irrelevant.

Additionally, who really cares. A part made in Japan is not automatically better than a part made in any other country.

volk_ef9
12-17-2009, 03:29 PM
jdm is the new rice in my opinion.

lcortes32
12-17-2009, 03:35 PM
Well as I sit back and read all these post I must agree with everyone that stated that nothing is really JDM unless intended for sale in the specified market. I believe no matter what is put on a car from any country that it is still part of the market where it was first sold. Now wouldn't it be redicoulous for another country to try to make everything they have to USDM? Of course that would piss us off because we know that its not USDM therefore JDM is only trully in Japan..

Nuff Said"

5speed
12-17-2009, 05:37 PM
I can't even stand the term at all now that I have read all of these posts. The only thing I like about "JDM" parts is that they are usually great quality. Using JDM to describe your style is stupid. It doesn't make you cool..well maybe to the GayDM kiddies it does. The term is used too much as a way to up your status in the "scene."

stormcrow
12-17-2009, 06:30 PM
what's ironic and humorous at the same time is the fact that many Japanese GT-R owners want our (USDM) amber side markers and red rear reflectors. they also want all four of their tails to light up under braking as ours do... they are selling kits in Japan to modify the tails to do just this... :)

so, i guess in the GT-R world in Japan, they want to be "USDM"... :lmfao:

bu villain
12-18-2009, 01:31 PM
I can't even stand the term at all now that I have read all of these posts. The only thing I like about "JDM" parts is that they are usually great quality. Using JDM to describe your style is stupid. It doesn't make you cool..well maybe to the GayDM kiddies it does. The term is used too much as a way to up your status in the "scene."

The ironic thing is, is that people who really know whats up are laughin at those guys. Take the whole sashinoya badge thing. I can't help but laugh when I see that on someone's car.

quickdodgeŽ
12-18-2009, 03:10 PM
The ironic thing is, is that people who really know whats up are laughin at those guys. Take the whole sashinoya badge thing. I can't help but laugh when I see that on someone's car.

For me, I have a koreisha mark on my car. It is simply towards my car and myself as we are both old, experienced drivers. Later, QD.

5speed
12-18-2009, 03:21 PM
For me, I have a koreisha mark on my car. It is simply towards my car and myself as we are both old, experienced drivers. Later, QD.
I was gonna post that you are the only one I know of that rocks the badge properly but didn't see the point in doing so.

quickdodgeŽ
12-18-2009, 03:24 PM
I was gonna post that you are the only one I know of that rocks the badge properly but didn't see the point in doing so.

Lolol. Yeah, I'm not following some sort of fad with that. My sticker is only about an inch big and resides on my rear glass. Not the size of a basketball draped over my fenders, lolol. Later, QD.

01CDMLUDER
12-18-2009, 03:25 PM
Fuck jdm...My car is CDM! Thats right its canadian!

My car has the jdm engine in it and the speedo is in kilometers and is better than the jdm speedo. It also has heated seats that aren't available here nor japan I believe.

But Honda of japan did make a prelude type s thats bad ass and was only available in japan. To me unless u have a true type s lude then its not jdm enough. And I only know of one person with a type s and its a chick

and if unless u have a real jdm itr,ctr,type s, euro r, fair lady, gto, or whatever than its not jdm... it might look jdm and be clean as fuck but don't say its jdm

quickdodgeŽ
12-18-2009, 03:31 PM
and if unless u have a real jdm itr,ctr,type s, euro r, fair lady, gto, or whatever than its not jdm... it might look jdm and be clean as fuck but don't say its jdm

Disagreed. Later, QD.

boosted_nonv
12-18-2009, 03:35 PM
seriously whats the purpose of this thread, we all know the answer the the JDM thing why talk about it again and again

EJdm
12-18-2009, 03:37 PM
honestly i've heard the word JDM use SO MUCH since i moved here to Georgia LOL...

quickdodgeŽ
12-18-2009, 03:37 PM
Because other people want to voice their opinions. You know, the purpose of a forum. Later, QD.

5speed
12-18-2009, 03:38 PM
Lolol. Yeah, I'm not following some sort of fad with that. My sticker is only about an inch big and resides on my rear glass. Not the size of a basketball draped over my fenders, lolol. Later, QD.
Ha, yeah. I can't stand the people who use the badges just to be "JDM." Even if they aren't really bad drivers they still badge their cars. It's dumb, but I like your reason for having it. And the fact that you aren't flashy with it.:goodjob:

DC2NR
12-22-2009, 10:46 PM
JDM is just another bandwagon.