PDA

View Full Version : Timing belt tensioner B16a

preferredduck
12-17-2009, 12:28 AM
i may have one going bad, my car kind of sounds like it has a supercharger on it that sounds like it changes gears when i'm not. i have no loss of power or power surges but i now there are only a few bearings on that side of the car connected to a belt. if anyone needs i can record the sound and upload. my car sounds quick but it could go BOOM!! lol

dallasb84
12-17-2009, 03:30 AM
just disconnect your accesories one by one...... until the noise stops

Formally...
12-17-2009, 07:28 AM
May be waterpump going bad. How many miles on it?

SPOOLIN
12-17-2009, 08:17 AM
i think the water pump is usually the screamer before anything else, since when a small seal fails water gets in the bearing and starts slowly eating it.

Barefoot
12-17-2009, 01:09 PM
all are correct

preferredduck
12-17-2009, 02:19 PM
just disconnect your accesories one by one...... until the noise stops

you are dead on, while driving to the shop i made it 1/20th of a mile away and an accesory belt went nuts. it was the idler pulley for the A/C belt, hence i could not tell if it was coming from inside the timing cover(thank god). the tensioner/idler pulley actually froze up and fell off right at the shop so i had to cut my gates belt and weasle the tensioner out. water pump has abt 60k miles on it and it's oem honda, for some reason no parts store had the right pump cuz the pulley's were different, so anyone with a b16a beware of this fact i found out the hard way by visiting 6 parts stores before going to honda. reps to all. now i need to find an idler pulley so i can have my a/c working for rainy days.

envision
12-17-2009, 04:43 PM
I may have that pulley in my junk box I'll look when I get home

If i got it you can have it

envision
12-17-2009, 08:40 PM
the one I have is broken sorry

dallasb84
12-17-2009, 10:20 PM
you should be able to use most of the b series pulleys..... youll just need a diff size belt... for instance i am using a d16y8 pulley on my b18 with a delsol ac bracket and tensioner.....

it too a few guesses at pepboys but i got it right

Tech5
12-17-2009, 10:25 PM
^^^ Gheettoo

BTW I found many cars sounds like a supercharger due to the last one that installed a new timing belt and made it toooo tight!!

Dumb asses

preferredduck
12-22-2009, 04:11 PM
you should be able to use most of the b series pulleys..... youll just need a diff size belt... for instance i am using a d16y8 pulley on my b18 with a delsol ac bracket and tensioner.....

it too a few guesses at pepboys but i got it right

i have a y8 pulley and i may have a b-series one somewhere around here. i think i took one off a b16 i had a few years ago. need to check that box.