PDA

View Full Version : Perhaps a noob question...

Echonova
12-15-2009, 07:59 PM
Would a dead battery prevent my car from turning over? Here's the story... Nissan 240 SR20DET swap blah blah blah... Spun a bearing, rebuilt the motor (8 months later) ran for a couple days, then blew the fuel pump. Replaced the fuel pump (and ran new wiring for it as well) and all is good. Now usually if I don't start my car at least once a week the battery dies and I have to jump it off. No biggie. Haven't driven the car in a couple months (only 200 miles since the rebuild), went to start it to make sure everything cool for the Cruise for Kids this weekend... Battery is dead (I figured) hook up jumper cables and nothing... No clicking... Nothing. Haven't tried tapping the starter with a hammer yet, nor checked the voltage to the starter, it's too dark and cold to worry about it tonight. But I guess my question is... I knew the battery was on it's last leg, but could it be my problem even though I had jumper cables hooked to the Hemi Ram of Doom?

SleeperWRX
12-15-2009, 08:15 PM
It should still turn over and make a clicking noise, try hitting the starter with a hammer. Do the dash and cluster lights come on?

tank500999
12-15-2009, 08:18 PM
yeah depending on what kind of cable you have the need to be a decent quality, try a thicker gauge jumper cable

Echonova
12-15-2009, 08:21 PM
It should still turn over and make a clicking noise, try hitting the starter with a hammer. Do the dash and cluster lights come on?Yep, dash and cluster still comes on, everything else works lights etc...

yeah depending on what kind of cable you have the need to be a decent quality, try a thicker gauge jumper cableI have a good set of cables. Positive that's not it, but thanks for taking the time to think about it.

SleeperWRX
12-15-2009, 08:30 PM
Yep, dash and cluster still comes on, everything else works lights etc...

I have a good set of cables. Positive that's not it, but thanks for taking the time to think about it.

hmmmmm, any clicking noise? my hatch does about the same, go try again, it might start. My car won't start sometimes but in like 20 mins, it'll start. Try push starting it, if it won't make a clicking noise, it's your starter.

Echonova
12-15-2009, 08:36 PM
hmmmmm, any clicking noise? my hatch does about the same, go try again, it might start. My car won't start sometimes but in like 20 mins, it'll start. Try push starting it, if it won't make a clicking noise, it's your starter.Yeah... No sound at all, but I havent tried push starting it and popping the clutch, mainly because my driveway is uphill to the street. I guess I'll break out the tow chain and haul it up to the street to give it a whirly dingy tomorrow.

SleeperWRX
12-15-2009, 08:49 PM
Yeah... No sound at all, but I havent tried push starting it and popping the clutch, mainly because my driveway is uphill to the street. I guess I'll break out the tow chain and haul it up to the street to give it a whirly dingy tomorrow.

It's your starter or alternator, if you push start it and get it to start tommorow, while the car is on, take off the negative terminal off the battery, and if it shuts off, its your alternator.