PDA

View Full Version : MR2 emissions

Tinton
12-15-2009, 04:58 PM
Hey I know most of you will prolly be smartasses, but I figured I'd try this anyways. My MR2 turbo won't pass emissions and I need it to pass soon, my birthday's tomorrow and I'm looking at not having a car to drive at all, I won't be able to get food, go to class, work, etc, or anything. Yea I can technically drive the car with expired registration but I don't want it to come to that. I've spent the past week calling my friends and getting them to talk to their friends and so far no luck, I've tried a dozen places at least. I also tried a normal test and the car failed on all 3 things (HC, NOx, CO), simply adding a temp. cat won't help. I bought the car last year with greddy exhaust and no cat or other emissions equipment (I've never looked for a EGR, it might have 1). To get it to pass it pretty much needs to be set back to stock, which I don't have the time or money to do. Can anyone PM me a shop that'll pass my 2, please? Its OBDI, obviously.

punkr6
12-15-2009, 05:00 PM
Hey I know most of you will prolly be smartasses, .

:2up: 1st

Tinton
12-15-2009, 05:01 PM
:2up: 1st

:lmfao:

Tech5
12-15-2009, 05:01 PM
sounds like you have a POS..... But I would start with a Cat and O2 sensor....BTW any CEL??? (check engine light)?

Tech5
12-15-2009, 05:03 PM
being all 3 failed seems you have more then one problem....a good cat (new) after about 30miles on it or so should fix it, but that is only the HC,NOx, the CO would be many things..... Then again I still think you have a POS lol I kid man......

Tinton
12-15-2009, 05:43 PM
being all 3 failed seems you have more then one problem....a good cat (new) after about 30miles on it or so should fix it, but that is only the HC,NOx, the CO would be many things..... Then again I still think you have a POS lol I kid man......

Its a 1991 MR2 Turbo running 20psi of boost on the ct26b. It was all recently rebuilt, but not by me, the previous owner. The car doesn't have a cat and its not tuned so that explains why it fails. I'm not spending $1000 on a piggyback fuel management system and a dynotune, and I don't want to have to set the car back to stock. Isn't there a place that can pass it?

And its not a POS, its an awesome car, kinda quick too. I've had it over a year and I haven't had any problems with it, I don't consider failing emissions a mechanical problem, its just Georgia's bullshit :rolleyes:. Come on, doesn't anyone know a place that'll pass this car? I fucking know a lot of you guys aren't running cats either.

This is the car in question:
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b375/POV-Exdeath/MR2/PB060001800x600.jpg

And BTW there's no check engine light. The car's running perfectly fine, it just doesn't have emissions equipment.

Tech5
12-15-2009, 05:46 PM
having cars like this you have to keep in mind , like emissions.. Get it tuned or try lowering the boost to pass

Tinton
12-15-2009, 05:49 PM
having cars like this you have to keep in mind , like emissions.. Get it tuned or try lowering the boost to pass

I'm not paying $1000 for a tune. Especially not when I can't even fucking drive. It doesn't have a boost controller either so I can't lower the boost, the previous owner fucked up the wastegate to get it to run 20.

Tech5
12-15-2009, 05:51 PM
Sounds like a POS........

If you don't want to get it tuned, or lower boost via spending money then I guess you will be driving without a tag, and good luck if you get caught its a 1000.00 ticket