PDA

View Full Version : Dyno pointers for first timer?

Schroeder
12-14-2009, 08:25 PM
Hey guys,

I'm heading to the Dyno here in the next couple of weeks to finally get my combo tuned. I was wondering if any of you had some good tips for a first timer I.e. what to do before and what not to do while there, any special tools to bring etc? I do plan on bringing everything to tune/change jets and rods in my carb, a good timing light, small set of hand tools.

Thanks!

SHHHH
12-14-2009, 08:28 PM
Make sure your running the type of gas you want tuned for in the vehicle prior to putting it on the dyno. You wont do anything if you bring it to a good shop. Just hand over the keys and get ready for your #'s. Also, dont get mad if they tell you they cant dyno it because of something wrong with the vehicle or ect. Its for the better that you get your car running 100% then to just throw a tune on it while you're having problems.

Edit: Im assuming the shop will have different jets and what not since you are talking about a carb setup.

JDMJAYDC2
12-14-2009, 08:29 PM
from the many i have seen at topspeed

i suggest extra plugs,tps sensor and you should be set good luck on the tune

JDMJAYDC2
12-14-2009, 08:30 PM
^^^agreed i was going to put gas but i thought that was a given

Schroeder
12-14-2009, 08:34 PM
Make sure your running the type of gas you want tuned for in the vehicle prior to putting it on the dyno. You wont do anything if you bring it to a good shop. Just hand over the keys and get ready for your #'s. Also, dont get mad if they tell you they cant dyno it because of something wrong with the vehicle or ect. Its for the better that you get your car running 100% then to just throw a tune on it while you're having problems.

Edit: Im assuming the shop will have different jets and what not since you are talking about a carb setup.

I already know I need a new set of plug wires and possibly a new coil. I just made a small order at Summit and plan on another next week for the left overs. And as for the Gas, just standard 93 Pump is all that I plan on running.

from the many i have seen at topspeed

i suggest extra plugs,tps sensor and you should be set good luck on the tune

I have a set of plugs one heat range colder and hotter sitting in the glove box now, I still need to get another set of the ones i currently have installed now. I haven't had any Det problems so far, i just want to be safe in case it starts during the tune.

JDMJAYDC2
12-14-2009, 08:41 PM
your in good shape then man

teh_mugen18
12-14-2009, 09:12 PM
I had the same exact question, im getting ready to go dyno as well, and its my first time too. I'm gonna be keeping watch on this thread to see what other suggestions are offered. :goodjob:

ueyedgr8tness
12-14-2009, 09:21 PM
I only take my car and a 2nd pair of plugs the most thing i have found out that goes wrong on a dyno is the car not running good enough for tune.That is your worst nightmare is to get there and spend all kind of crazy $ on fixing the car while it is on the machine.

BABY J
12-15-2009, 01:12 AM
I always revert to this page - he's only 1 of the best tuners in the nation :

http://www.evans-tuning.com/pre_tuning_checklist.html

Evil Goat
12-15-2009, 12:39 PM
i know of a quiet place, with no prying eyes, no ego inflated tuners, using a new mustang dyno in Madison, GA, owned by one of the top carb tuners in the SE....pm me if you're interested...

$50/hr, you tune it....i wanna say $75/hr if he tunes, but i can't say for sure to be honest

Nemesis
12-15-2009, 12:44 PM
You drive a Mustang, all you need to do is make sure the dyno will support Gods Chariot.

Evil Goat
12-15-2009, 12:45 PM
You drive a Mustang, all you need to do is make sure the dyno will support Gods Chariot.

lol at the quote in your damn sig.... :lmfao:

Z U L8R
12-15-2009, 02:07 PM
Xtra plugs and your usual gas. U could bring ur timing light but that's like bringing toothpaste to a dentists office, aka you shoulnt have to. But u need to establish who's gonna be tuning it. You or them.

A wideband bung for each bank would be good. I'm not a fan of tailpipe sniffing.

Biggest and most important advice is to fix ANY existing issues you already know u have before you go. Once EVERYTHING is in order to the best of your knowledge then you hit the dyno and if there's any other issues that you can catch because it's on the dyno then try to be prepared aka bring your jets like you mentioned.

Other than that you should be good

teh_mugen18
12-15-2009, 02:52 PM

rep for this one :goodjob:

Tree
12-15-2009, 03:13 PM

great site... i'm going to use this when its time for me to get tuned +8 for you

Got Milk?
12-15-2009, 05:59 PM
All you do is give the keys to who ever is gona run your car on the dyno.

Evil Goat
12-15-2009, 08:55 PM
All you do is give the keys to who ever is gona run your car on the dyno.

go change your vtec fluid you idiot

QKJUICEDPONY
12-16-2009, 09:52 AM
Spray 200 first pull or you're a pussy!

Schroeder
12-16-2009, 11:09 AM
Spray 200 first pull or you're a pussy!

I find that is the best way to find out if you've built a strong motor. Only use lotsa Nitrous with very very little fuel, nice and lean so it cleans out your combustion chamber!!!! You know they say lean is fast!!! :D

Nemesis
12-16-2009, 01:49 PM
Youtube videos of nitrous backfires on dyno

LOL Thatll make you feel even better. Seriously, when I was using the juice, I was nervous as fuck my first dyno session on spray.

Schroeder
12-16-2009, 03:20 PM
Youtube videos of nitrous backfires on dyno

LOL Thatll make you feel even better. Seriously, when I was using the juice, I was nervous as fuck my first dyno session on spray.

I'm not quite ready for the spray yet, still have to get some minor things ironed out before I spray it, that and stronger axles. But I am looking forward to that day, thats for sure!!!

QKJUICEDPONY
12-16-2009, 09:06 PM
I find that is the best way to find out if you've built a strong motor. Only use lotsa Nitrous with very very little fuel, nice and lean so it cleans out your combustion chamber!!!! You know they say lean is fast!!! :D

All I can say i that it's a true story.

Throw some gas on that thing and lets get to tuning it.

Evil Goat
12-16-2009, 09:42 PM
guess i'm the only one in here with the kahunas to spray a big shot and not be scared of it :D

QKJUICEDPONY
12-16-2009, 09:47 PM
guess i'm the only one in here with the kahunas to spray a big shot and not be scared of it :D

You are second in line grasshopper.