PDA

View Full Version : Geminids Meteor Shower Tonight

G.C
12-13-2009, 10:25 AM
Start Time:Sunday, December 13, 2009 at 9:00pm
End Time:Monday, December 14, 2009 at 5:00am

This year is favorable for the Geminids, the year’s grand finale. As a general rule, it’s either the Geminids or the August Perseids that give us the most prolific meteor display of the year. Unlike many meteor showers, you can start watching for the Geminids around 9:00 to 10:00 p.m., although this shower tends to gain strength after midnight and to climax at roughly 2:00 in the morning. With maximums commonly reaching 50 meteors per hour, this is a glorious time of year to sprawl out on your reclining lawn chair and to take in the show. Just be sure to bring along warm clothing, blankets or sleeping bags, and a thermos with a warm beverage. With an exceedingly thin waning crescent moon to rise at or shortly before dawn, the stage is set for a dark sky and a grand Geminid display. The best viewing of these often bright, medium-speed meteors should be from late night December 13 till dawn December 14.

Copy and pasted from Facebook.

S13_Chody
12-13-2009, 10:27 AM
HELL YEA!!

98blackcivic
12-13-2009, 10:31 AM
well its raining right now...but it might clear up later

quickdodge®
12-13-2009, 10:34 AM
Rain is supposed to move out this afternoon, but it's supposed to be heavily clouded tonight. Probably won't see anything, but as always, I'll give it a shot. Later, QD.

98blackcivic
12-13-2009, 10:39 AM
i see meteors every clear night..i guess living in the country has advantages!

Lankhoss
12-13-2009, 10:39 AM
Rain is supposed to move out this afternoon, but it's supposed to be heavily clouded tonight. Probably won't see anything, but as always, I'll give it a shot. Later, QD.

Same. Last time I tried to watch, I saw nothing but clouds......oh, and ONE meteor heh

I do wish the weather was a lot nicer for these showers though, we get the short end of the stick!

quickdodge®
12-13-2009, 10:46 AM
i see meteors every clear night..i guess living in the country has advantages!

Living in the country has no advantages if there are clouds in the sky.

Same. Last time I tried to watch, I saw nothing but clouds......oh, and ONE meteor heh

I do wish the weather was a lot nicer for these showers though, we get the short end of the stick!

Same here on the first part. Nothing but clouds. And yes, we seem to always get shitty weather every time a "shower" comes along. Later, QD.

UpSideDownDesi
12-13-2009, 03:58 PM
cloudy rite now...eh

JJSPEC Racing
12-13-2009, 04:14 PM
Looks like the only way you might see one tonight is if it lands in your front yard:(