PDA

View Full Version : Blown Headgasket?!? D15b7

bigdare23
12-11-2009, 02:12 PM
For years, my wife has been battling an overheating problem with her 93 Civic. Damn near everything coolant related has been replaced (radiator, thermostat, radiator cap,...). Once the parts gets replaced the overheating problem goes away, but shows up again months later. Back in July, we drove her car from GA to NC and about 2hrs before our destination, the car started to run hot. After popping the hood, I notice coolant shooting out of the coolant reservoir. So after letting the car cool for a few hours, I topped off the radiator and the reservoir, and was able to make it the rest of the trip without overheating. There, we took it to Firestone, and they said it was the "thermostat", which I didn't believe would fix the problem since coolant system seemed to be pressurized, but the car hasn't overheated since then (The car has been driven back and forth to GA once again, and I drive about 300miles a week for class). Cool right?!? Naw, Even though the car hasn't "overheated" since then, I notice that coolant has been disappearing without any visual leaks, and the coolant reservoir has a like a nasty brown tint to it. She want's us to drive to GA this weekend (from NC), but honestly, I don't think her car is capable of making a 6hr drive without any problems, and the last thing I want to do is get stuck in GA with money being tight due to Christmas. Honestly, I believe it's a blown headgasket, but she wants to get "it checked out first" :rolleyes:. So if anyone can help me determine the problem before we get raped by Honda LMK. Thanks!

*Cliffnotes*
-Car used to run hot
-Replace everything coolant related
-Doesn't run hot now, BUT
-Loses coolant without any visual leaks
-Coolant reservoir has a nasty tint

88NaCivic
12-11-2009, 02:23 PM
warped head

MidLifeCrisis
12-11-2009, 03:13 PM
Easy way to check man, let it get to running temperature from cold (make sure the coolant is full before you start), id say 15-20 minutes. Cut the car off, pull the #1 spark plug wire and plug out and put a mirror (a makeup style compact one will work) over the hole for 20-30 seconds.if you pull it off and theres condensation on the mirror, then you got coolant leakage in that cylinder. put the plug back in, and go down the line making sure to only have 1 plug out at a time, and doing it in a timely manner.

dirk-diggler
12-11-2009, 04:13 PM
man i had da same problem change everything and it was da head gasket, u can get a block tester and it will tell if it is a head gasket in seconds , but i say change head gasket , it abut a 45min to a hr job , no biggie

DustnU
12-11-2009, 04:23 PM
Just get a honda dealer to do a headgasket test on it. Hell if you are close to unioncity pm me ur number and i can hook you up.

six7teen
12-11-2009, 04:27 PM
man i had da same problem change everything and it was da head gasket, u can get a block tester and it will tell if it is a head gasket in seconds , but i say change head gasket , it abut a 45min to a hr job , no biggie

yeah, it might be a quick job, but if you change a blown headgasket on a warped head, its gonna do the exact same thing within 100 miles of driving it...
id say do what midlifecrisis says with the mirror trick..if it turns out to be a blown headgasket, and you are the one that is planning on changing it, take it to a machine shop first to make sure nothing is warped.. if not, you will have the same problems all over again..

green91
12-11-2009, 04:47 PM
Dare go to Napa and pick up a block tester. They are pretty cheap and will definitively tell you if you've got exhaust gasses in your coolant system.. IE a blown HG. Its also possible that you've got a sunken sleeve, cracked or warped head etc. Unfortunately there's no way of knowing which is causing the leak without removing the cylinder head. But at least a block test will let you know if you're looking at a gasket leak or if the problem is elsewhere.

bigdare23
12-11-2009, 05:04 PM
Thanks guys will do! Reps to everyone (if I can rep ya).

gsrteg
12-12-2009, 09:44 AM
is you engine light on? Is it throwin any misfire codes, & is there white smoke from your exhaust? Check your engine's oil, is it thinned out or milky? AND, does the car have trouble cranking? If so, then its most likely the headgasket.

Grab a really good flashlight, open up all sparkplugs, and shine light down the each cylinder & check if theres moisture or leaking coolant in there.

91LudeSiT
12-12-2009, 09:48 AM
I have a 95 civic hatch with the same exact symptoms. It was also a d15b7, I ended up doing a compression test and finding out it was a blown head gasket. Good luck to you, I was too lazy to change the head so I sold the car.

Barefoot
12-12-2009, 10:13 AM
Easy way to check man, let it get to running temperature from cold (make sure the coolant is full before you start), id say 15-20 minutes. Cut the car off, pull the #1 spark plug wire and plug out and put a mirror (a makeup style compact one will work) over the hole for 20-30 seconds.if you pull it off and theres condensation on the mirror, then you got coolant leakage in that cylinder. put the plug back in, and go down the line making sure to only have 1 plug out at a time, and doing it in a timely manner.that right there is whats up. saw a tech do that once thought he was crazy but it worked.

Tech5
12-12-2009, 12:42 PM
that right there is whats up. saw a tech do that once thought he was crazy but it worked.

yup I have done this many times too. My dad showed me this when I was little

JDMGRNAV6
12-12-2009, 09:11 PM
def a good idea, ima remember this piece of advice, learn somethin new everyday and this is what i learned today!

JJSPEC Racing
12-12-2009, 09:28 PM
Definately take the head to the machine shop for a deck job. It wont be much and they should be able to check the valves for you also.

Mr. Fix-it.
12-13-2009, 11:57 AM
my car has been doing the same thing. exept when my coolant disapears, and i refill it, it doesnt ever have a dark tint to it. so idk where the heck mine is going. no leaks either. but it does sound like you have a blown head gasket.

MidLifeCrisis
12-13-2009, 03:40 PM
that right there is whats up. saw a tech do that once thought he was crazy but it worked.

in the 100+ honda head gasket jobs ive done, 99% failed this test.

r_Senik
12-13-2009, 03:54 PM
same problem with me,same motor too..changed out everything possible,except head gasket. end up giving my cousin the car and he put a jdm replacement motor.
wish i could help..but i think thats the best way out.

Starrfire
12-13-2009, 04:26 PM
Its definitely a head gasket issue. I had a d15 in my 4 door when I got it that was doing this. Then one day right before my gsr swap I was about to do about a mile away from my house it started blowing out white smoke like dammit, and the heat went cold, and then it started to overheat on the guage. I drove it the mile home and took out the plugs and looked down the hole. water in the #1 cylinder so I knew it was time lol.

But take the head off,definitely get it decked if it isn't warped too much, and then maybe do a tune up while you are at it.
But it could go at any time now.