PDA

View Full Version : Car wont Start

-EnVus-
12-07-2009, 02:49 PM
So i just bough this civic about 3 months ago and drove it home car ran and drove fine. I parked it up till today not needing to drive it. I tried starting the car and it wont fire up but just turns over. I check for a spark at the wires and Dist. and nothing.
I have swapped out the cap,rotor,wires and still no spark.
When i turn the switch over i notice no CEL is on or even working.
Shouldn't it come on when star6t up ?
HELP!!!!
Car is a 96 coupe

quickdodgeŽ
12-07-2009, 02:50 PM
Battery? Later, QD.

-EnVus-
12-07-2009, 02:53 PM
Battery? Later, QD.
battery is good and charged

gsrteg
12-07-2009, 03:18 PM
check alternator, any loose power lines to your fuse box and starter, any fuses blown, check you timing belt (to see if i didnt snap, or missing teeths)

-EnVus-
12-07-2009, 03:32 PM
check alternator, any loose power lines to your fuse box and starter, any fuses blown, check you timing belt (to see if i didnt snap, or missing teeths)
all these things are fine and i read that if my CEL isnt coming on then no power to the ECU so i may have a issue there:cry:

.:Stirfry:.
12-07-2009, 03:56 PM
what about the coil in the dizzy. did you check that

-EnVus-
12-07-2009, 03:59 PM
what about the coil in the dizzy. did you check that
yes those are good but would those effect my CEL not working ?

Hektik
12-07-2009, 04:02 PM
check all your grounds...

-EnVus-
12-07-2009, 04:13 PM
check all your grounds...
locations ?

uproot
12-07-2009, 04:15 PM
check your starter. my wifes car did the same thing yesterday and it was the starter.

-EnVus-
12-07-2009, 04:15 PM
check your starter. my wifes car did the same thing yesterday and it was the starter.
Starter works good car turns over fine also.....will this cause the CEL not to come on ?

civicturbo10
12-07-2009, 04:27 PM
Are you sure it isn't the battery? I let my other car sit and it drains the battery after while. Three months is long time to sit. Hell i have to trickle charge it to maintain some sort of charge on it and the car is driven a few times a month to keep it flowing. Now the battery is low and i drive it for 30 min to juice it back up but eventually i'm gonna have to replace it. Trickle charge is your friend.....

-EnVus-
12-07-2009, 04:30 PM
Are you sure it isn't the battery? I let my other car sit and it drains the battery after while. Three months is long time to sit. Hell i have to trickle charge it to maintain some sort of charge on it and the car is driven a few times a month to keep it flowing. Now the battery is low and i drive it for 30 min to juice it back up but eventually i'm gonna have to replace it. Trickle charge is your friend.....
new battery just installed

pm ash7....he'll know what to do
lol ok

civicturbo10
12-07-2009, 04:47 PM
Well new batteries can go bad if you have a constant parasitic draw. Just sayin....

Hey does your headlights come on? Just curious....

-EnVus-
12-07-2009, 04:59 PM
Well new batteries can go bad if you have a constant parasitic draw. Just sayin....

Hey does your headlights come on? Just curious....
yeah and i even had a car jumping it so i wouldnt drain my new battery so i know 100% its not a battery power issue

civicturbo10
12-07-2009, 05:06 PM
HHHMMM....
Check main relay? Common wear item...for my model.

D3UC3S
12-07-2009, 05:12 PM
yes...borrow a friends working main relay and see what happens

j0nbunklah0m
12-07-2009, 05:12 PM
this happened to be before. and it was the battery. even jumping the battery wouldnt work. so i ended up connecting a bigger batter from another car n it worked. try it. :)

D3UC3S
12-07-2009, 05:14 PM
This is true also...did you get a battery with enough CCA's?

-EnVus-
12-07-2009, 05:16 PM
HHHMMM....
Check main relay? Common wear item...for my model.
I am tomorrow

yes...borrow a friends working main relay and see what happens
I will see tomorrow a buddy has one i will try

this happened to be before. and it was the battery. even jumping the battery wouldnt work. so i ended up connecting a bigger batter from another car n it worked. try it. :)
I did i was using jumpers with a grand marquis and its bigass battery lol

MidLifeCrisis
12-07-2009, 05:25 PM
Honestly man with no CEL coming on at all, as long as it came on when the car was starting fine, could be an ECU issue. check behind the carpet for moisture and then find someone who has a good working ECU and try swapping them around..

STRteg
12-07-2009, 05:26 PM
test another ecu may be faulty or just recheck all your wiring

-EnVus-
12-07-2009, 05:29 PM
Honestly man with no CEL coming on at all, as long as it came on when the car was starting fine, could be an ECU issue. check behind the carpet for moisture and then find someone who has a good working ECU and try swapping them around..
yeahs its gay it ran and drove fine and i checked around it looks fine ill try the relay t/m then move to the ECU if no luck.

test another ecu may be faulty or just recheck all your wiring
yeah maybe

punkr6
12-07-2009, 05:30 PM
main relay or dizzy, How did you check the dizzy ?

also can you hear the fuel pump come on when you turn the key on...?

-EnVus-
12-07-2009, 05:43 PM
main relay or dizzy, How did you check the dizzy ?

also can you hear the fuel pump come on when you turn the key on...?
i checked to see if it had power going to the terminals lol
I dont think i did hear the pump either but i know the main relay isnt clicking when the key is turned like its supposed to do.

D3UC3S
12-07-2009, 05:48 PM
I dont think i did hear the pump either but i know the main relay isnt clicking when the key is turned like its supposed to do.

there is your problem

-EnVus-
12-07-2009, 05:49 PM
there is your problem
Yeah i think so and hope so also...Tomorrow i will know for sure keep fingers crossed :rolleyes:

-EnVus-
12-08-2009, 05:41 PM
A Ground wire for my ECU that was on the Thermostat house was barely on due to being broke. I fixed it and the car runs fine now. Thanks everyone and reps to all that helped when i can rep again !!

jdm>usdm
12-09-2009, 12:12 AM
A Ground wire for my ECU that was on the Thermostat house was barely on due to being broke. I fixed it and the car runs fine now. Thanks everyone and reps to all that helped when i can rep again !!

Same damn thing happened to me.

I spent hours underneath the dash tracing grounds and power wires.lol :headslap:

dirk-diggler
12-11-2009, 04:25 PM
main relay