PDA

View Full Version : bent valves?

DaRussian
12-05-2009, 07:52 PM
ok heres the deal. i was chaning my headgasket on a ls b18 motor, and after i put everything on set the timing and everything tried to start the car and it didnt start. i looked and the timinb belt is really loose. if i didnt tighten the tensioner and it fell off (not sure if it did or not because i was pissed and didnt want to take the cover off to check) while i was trying to start the car could i have bent the valves doing that? or did the cams just snapped back into the place where they are not opening any valves?

dallasb84
12-05-2009, 07:58 PM
yes

DaRussian
12-05-2009, 08:03 PM
yes as in bent valves?

Theycall_Metue
12-05-2009, 11:03 PM
from what i understand, yes it'll bend the valve(s), because the timing belt isn't turning the cams, due to this the valve(s) wont move. but the cylinders are still active because its on the crank. as the engine tries to crank it'll turns over moving the cylinders up and down, if the valve(s) don't move along with the cylinders, it'll get hit causing the rod to bend.
that's why you don't crank the car after a timing belt snap.

DB4LYFE ™
12-05-2009, 11:42 PM
:2up: timing... g.l dude!

~DB4LYFE

hondaxpurt
12-06-2009, 07:12 AM
bent. anytime the car is cranked when the t-belt is off or not tight at all, bye bye valves, if interference motor. dude up there is right, your crank is stil turning, when the cam is not, which in turn, makes the pistons hit the valves causing the valve stem to bend. this is what i assume happened, the belt being loose it wasnt turning the cam... sorry dude.

Barefoot
12-06-2009, 11:31 AM
bent valves all day. somethings need to be left to the pros if the owner is feeling lazy on anything. or is unsure about any part and timing is 1 of them. put the belt back on the correct way. then run a comp test to confirm.

DaRussian
12-06-2009, 07:06 PM
Yea that's what I figured, that's not my first time setting timming on a ls motor it's just I was in a hurry and didn't double check. What are the chances that the cams piped back to the place where both of them are not really opening any valves?

Barefoot
12-06-2009, 09:33 PM
What are the chances that the cams piped back to the place where both of them are not really opening any valves?huh

81911SC
12-07-2009, 05:42 PM
Lol, being lazy might have just cost you a few hundred. That was stupid.

Master Shake
12-07-2009, 05:45 PM
Yea that's what I figured, that's not my first time setting timming on a ls motor it's just I was in a hurry and didn't double check. What are the chances that the cams piped back to the place where both of them are not really opening any valves?
.....what?

do you mean, what are the chances the cams didn't move while turning the car over and none of the valves moved enough for them to get fucked?

i say slim.

get to double checkin man. work smarter, not harder!

teh_mugen18
12-07-2009, 11:01 PM
bent valves all day. somethings need to be left to the pros if the owner is feeling lazy on anything. or is unsure about any part and timing is 1 of them. put the belt back on the correct way. then run a comp test to confirm.

x238923794623589623958million on the compression test. Will tell you how everything inside the motor is going to run before you even try running it, that way if its messed up in any way, you'll know it before things can be made worse. :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

EDIT: to the OP, i have a couple spare LS heads with good valves, and valve seals in them if you'd like to buy one from me for the low-low....only need is for it to be resurfaced before you put it on. LMK.

ash7
12-07-2009, 11:21 PM
What are the chances that the cams piped back to the place where both of them are not really opening any valves?

zero - the cams are always operating a set of valves at any angle they're at.

-jonathan