PDA

View Full Version : how the cover of this months modified was made....

CHADbee
12-04-2009, 10:48 PM
Photography is courtesy of Peter Tarach, Michael Scheartze, and David Pratte and post processing by Jeff Creech. This edit probably contains pieces from over 8 images composited into one. Many of the pictures were of the cars sitting still so there was a lot of airbrushing needed to eliminate reflections and create the illusion of motion. Check out the animation below to see the whole process.

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/1358/befored.jpg

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/9267/cover2animation.gif

:screwy: :eek: :crazy:

EJ25RUN
12-04-2009, 10:50 PM
I'm surprised these publications still find funds since real magazines like Turbo have fallen away.

chameleon30038
12-04-2009, 10:51 PM
pretty cool !!

Alan®
12-04-2009, 11:16 PM
WOW

Alan®
12-04-2009, 11:17 PM
I'm surprised these publications still find funds since real magazines like Turbo have fallen away.
Regarding this, I have always thought Sport Compact was more legit than Turbo.

tdurr
12-05-2009, 12:36 AM
sweet. kinda sad to think all 3 cars werent rolling together lol.

CHADbee
12-05-2009, 12:41 AM
sweet. kinda sad to think all 3 cars werent rolling together lol.

thats photography for ya. dont always believe what you see lol

Brian*
12-05-2009, 01:06 AM
Damn man, that's awesome

RL...
12-05-2009, 01:24 AM

automobile is still around, its the only automobile mag I subscribe to

ash7
12-05-2009, 01:31 AM

on this topic; S3 gets a 10/10 on the legit scale in my book. :goodjob:

-jonathan

.93lude
12-05-2009, 02:29 AM
saw that on mycanikon, pretty sick

0-60 mag? anyone?

speedminded
12-05-2009, 04:35 AM
sweet. kinda sad to think all 3 cars werent rolling together lol.Wouldn't be possible unless all three were strapped and being pulled by one car so it was going the exact same speed within hundredths of a MPH.

Elbow
12-05-2009, 06:38 AM
Haha that's pretty cool.

roscoe
12-05-2009, 08:08 AM
interesting to see the process

DB4LYFE ™
12-05-2009, 08:38 AM
Easy! ive done 1234567890 mag covers.. of course not professional. this is just time consumin, this is my other hobby.

~DB4LYFE

BABY J
12-05-2009, 08:41 AM

I was gonna say WTF then I looked at your age (no offense). Tubo mag is what SCC wishes it could grow to become.

dragoncelica
12-05-2009, 10:27 AM
Neather of them so called magazines where real magazines, all of them where just advertising joke magazines with couple of lame pictures of a group of jap import owners to exploit the scene back then, focusing only on the west coast and bringing some lame drag race coverage of the FWD hondas of the left side of the nation, no wonder they went bankrupt right away, i never buy em back then and never will today, i just watch em in the stands and left em there.

I remember when they advertise the first 10.9 second FWD, it was the CRX of Dave Shi, and by that same time in Puerto Rico was a guy with a Suzuki Swift that was running 10.6 one year before him, and they try to get it in the turbo mag. and the editor of the so call magazine back then Michael Ferrara just ignore the guys from PR and did send them a letter saying that they didnt belive such thing cuz it wasnt a Honda, it wasnt till they went to Atco NJ to cover the Pan Ams held there for more than 10 years by P-Ricans, when they realize the P-Rican drag scene was bigger than they could ever dream, when they personally withness the first ever 7 second import doorslamer pass in the 1/4 mile by the mitsubishi Sakura Racing a G54B Starion Powered RWD car,
It took the P-Ricans to bring their cars to the states to make that Pussy of an editor to realize we where the real deal, and the Magazine start to feature The pocket rockets from PR, but it was to late for them cuz other magazines and the readers already knew by them those so called Import oriented Magazines where just a Joke and they still!

Just chek by yourself and count how many pages of real info they got, i did one time and from almost 180 pages just 15 where usefull the rest was just advertising and trust me i wont going to pay 5 bucks for advertisement, never did, and never will!

By the way nice Photochoped picture!

BABY J
12-05-2009, 10:36 AM
Say waaaaah.

Turbo mag is an ICON in import performance. Do your homework. If Guiness says that the oldest man in the world is 100 years old, and you are a 105 year old reading that article then maybe you need to send in your PROOF and get your just due credit... not sit on a web forum and whine about it. Mags can't run to every nook and cranny of the earth to follow-up on every ones claims. ESPECIALLY back in the day when there wasnt a web presence like there is now.

There is NO ONE who has been in this scene for 10 years or longer than won't tell you what Turbo did for spo com as a whole. I'm sorry your guy didn't get his credit. It happens - but that DEFINTIELY doesn't discredit Turbo Mags ENTIRE 23 year run, starting in 1985.

dragoncelica
12-05-2009, 10:46 AM
Say waaaaah.

Turbo mag is an ICON in import performance. Do your homework. If Guiness says that the oldest man in the world is 100 years old, and you are a 105 year old reading that article then maybe you need to send in your PROOF and get your just due credit... not sit on a web forum and whine about it. Mags can't run to every nook and cranny of the earth to follow-up on every ones claims. ESPECIALLY back in the day when there wasnt a web presence like there is now.

There is NO ONE who has been in this scene for 10 years or longer than won't tell you what Turbo did for spo com as a whole. I'm sorry your guy didn't get his credit. It happens - it def doesn't discredit an ENTIRE magazines run for 23 years.
NO you get it wrong, that was just an example that is well documented, but they didnt gives a fuck cuz it wasnt a jap or oriental guy who did it, if you read the Mag. back then they where asking for cars that where in that range to feature em, If you realize PR is USA soil and we are just like Hawaii but without the statehood you'll understand, but as i say before They where a BIG JOKE back then all the way till they went away, and today Still a BIG JOKE!

And yeas you are right before the big import scene of that era, people didnt even know they exist cuz real magazines like Hot Rod, Popular Hot Roding, Car Craft and others where always better in every aspect!

BABY J
12-05-2009, 10:52 AM
Well of COURSE there are gonna be errors - it's journalism man. And of COURSE the guys in the know - and I mean REALLY in the know want the MEAT. I realized that i was maturing in the scene when I started reading them from the back to the front (i STILL do this - lol). I go STRAIGHT for the shop advertisements to see who is who and to make sure I have a broad pallette of knowledge on who is doing what. So yea - there is always gonna be fluff b/c they have to pay their bills.

But to just broadly say that "Turbo Mag is a Joke" is definitely disrespect to a pioneer of SpoCom coverage... no other mag had the balls to cover such a "small" segment of enthusiasts (at that time) highlighting cars that some hadn't even been in the country for 10 years yet. SpoCom was still grassroots in the early 80s.

Every1 has their own opinion though - and that's kool.

PS: PR was always on the map. But they weren't doing "more with less" like here in the states b/c PR was getting engines that we couldn't get --- entire CARS (example: Impreza) that weren't coming to mainland America were legal in PR. So PR was doing "more with more". ;)

You have to tell the WHOLE story if you're gonna tell the story man.

dragoncelica
12-05-2009, 11:16 AM
PS: PR was always on the map. But they weren't doing "less with more" like here in the states b/c PR was getting engines that we couldn't get --- entire CARS (example: Impreza) that weren't coming to mainland America were legal in PR.

You have to tell the WHOLE story if you're gonna tell the story man.
Ohhhhh Now you getting me going my friend,:D:lmfao:
This is the thing that always messed up everything, "KNOWLEDGE"
It looks you lack of a litlle or need to read more cuz in PR we get the same we get here in the states nothing less nothing more as i said before we are just like a state and USA Soil my friend we in PR dont get the JDM stuffs we get the same we get here in the state as the laws and DOT regulations are the same and they are breadge by the USA DOT and federal goverment of the USA, also we as enthusiast got to custom built all our stuff in the backyard, with no big sponsors, no big custom specialized machine shops, and no rich parents, so "YES WE DID MORE WITH LESS"
Eather way we still got the World Fastest 4 Cylinder doorslamer Car running 6.83 at more than 197mph, and the World fastest 13B dorslamer in the 7.06 also at more than 195mph , and trust me i feel real proud of my fellow P-Rican racers for that!
Also i wasnt talking about Turbo Magazine specificlly all of them back then where and still a JOKE And yes it is just My Opinion only!;)

BABY J
12-05-2009, 11:26 AM
Ohhhhh Now you getting me going my friend,:D:lmfao:
This is the thing that always messed up everything, "KNOWLEDGE"
It looks you lack of a litlle or need to read more cuz in PR we get the same we get here in the states nothing less nothing more as i said before we are just like a state and USA Soil my friend we in PR dont get the JDM stuffs we get the same we get here in the state as the laws and DOT regulations are the same and they are breadge by the USA DOT and federal goverment of the USA, also we as enthusiast got to custom built all our stuff in the backyard, with no big sponsors, no big custom specialized machine shops, and no rich parents, so "YES WE DID MORE WITH LESS"
Eather way we still got the World Fastest 4 Cylinder doorslamer Car running 6.83 at more than 197mph, and the World fastest 13B dorslamer in the 7.06 also at more than 195mph , and trust me i feel real proud of my fellow P-Rican racers for that!
Also i wasnt talking about Turbo Magazine specificlly all of them back then where and still a JOKE And yes it is just My Opinion only!;)

So if PR is like the US and everything is the same why are you trying to make the distinction? LOL

CHADbee
12-05-2009, 01:23 PM
saw that on mycanikon, pretty sick

0-60 mag? anyone?

whats your SN on there?!?!

claybird
12-05-2009, 01:51 PM
I love the pic and really enjoying the background info

JEY$JDM
12-05-2009, 02:04 PM
Ha.. thats cool

e30pwr
12-05-2009, 06:18 PM
and this is why i hate commercial photography sometimes. cloning the rig out is perfectly acceptable, but to hide behind photoshop, is a bitch move. There is two categories for digital images now, true photography, and photo manipulation. I would've loved to think all shots done for mags and ads weren't edited as much as they are but whatever, thats the new age media for ya

dragoncelica
12-05-2009, 06:19 PM
So if PR is like the US and everything is the same why are you trying to make the distinction? LOL
I did not make the distinction Baby, it is just always been that way, dont ask me why :D:lmfao::lmfao:

BABY J
12-05-2009, 06:27 PM
^^ LOL. So the PRs just have been blessed from God to be the shit from birth. I can dig it man - LOL. I must be Peurto Rican. :)

dragoncelica
12-05-2009, 07:00 PM
^^ LOL. So the PRs just have been blessed from God to be the shit from birth. I can dig it man - LOL. I must be Peurto Rican. :)
Maybe, maybe is just luck, or maybe we just make what we got to work regardless what others opinions are, everything is posible my friend, the only diference is how bad you want it, and never give up when things dont go the way you want it!
A good friend of mine R.I.P. always said; "Haters call my Knowledge, LUCK" i think we want to be the best at what we do not just another one!
Yeap we are the best at what we want and love to do!

BABY J
12-05-2009, 07:02 PM
Well get that Celica together so I can pretend that I'm gonna build something faster, LOL. (I'm not - I have no desire for a drag car.) ;)

dragoncelica
12-05-2009, 07:07 PM
Well get that Celica together so I can pretend that I'm gonna build something faster, LOL. (I'm not - I have no desire for a drag car.) ;)
HEHHEHEE i am doing my best, but it is on the side for the winter, but trust me i want to finish with it ASAP cuz i want to race i got many years out of the scene and want to come back, i can tell you that much :rolleyes:

BABY J
12-05-2009, 07:12 PM
HEHHEHEE i am doing my best, but it is on the side for the winter, but trust me i want to finish with it ASAP cuz i want to race i got many years out of the scene and want to come back, i can tell you that much :rolleyes:

Sweeten the deal on those carbs and that will be a good headstart on funding the Cel. I need them for my turbo 1200 Civic.

dragoncelica
12-05-2009, 07:24 PM
Sweeten the deal on those carbs and that will be a good headstart on funding the Cel. I need them for my turbo 1200 Civic.
Ufff the where gone like a week after you ask my friend, i told you they sell like hotcakes sorry!
Just get yourself a set of 45's webbers and i can converted for you!

PS
by the way lets talk in PM to stop the hijack in this thread :(:rolleyes::???::lmfao:

BABY J
12-05-2009, 07:27 PM
Chad won't mind the bumps - LOL. But I'll hit you up! ;)

dragoncelica
12-05-2009, 07:30 PM
:rolleyes: OK :D

imperception
12-06-2009, 09:18 AM
thats MARKETING for ya. dont always believe what you see lol

fixed

CHADbee
12-06-2009, 11:17 AM
Ufff the where gone like a week after you ask my friend, i told you they sell like hotcakes sorry!
Just get yourself a set of 45's webbers and i can converted for you!

PS
by the way lets talk in PM to stop the hijack in this thread :(:rolleyes::???::lmfao:
its all good dude lol

:stupid:

fixed

hahahhaaa thats true

Slow Motion
12-06-2009, 02:44 PM
S3 Magazine.END Thread.