PDA

View Full Version : 97 gsr over heating

shane94
12-03-2009, 07:55 AM
so my new car is a 97 gsr and when i get on it, it starts to over heat and the over flow bolt starts boiling, but its not throwing a check engine light and there is no oil around the head... What could it be??

Grimm Reeper
12-03-2009, 08:00 AM
Thermostat :thinking: I had that same issue. Could be due to air still inside not causing the thermostat to not open, try running your heat to see if it heats up pretty quick and if you want to try as an option before getting another thermostat, try adding more coolant while the car is running to circulate the flow and get the air out :thinking: :D

shane94
12-03-2009, 08:09 AM
i just changed the theo out... It takes like 10 to 15mins to warm up

could it be the head gasket

Grimm Reeper
12-03-2009, 08:14 AM
i just changed the theo out... It takes like 10 to 15mins to warm up

could it be the head gasket

You probably still have trapped air inside, if it was the head gasket the coolant would be mixing with the oil and you'll be seeing a particular cloud of smoke coming from your exhaust :ninja: besides noticing the obvious signs

oneSLOWex
12-03-2009, 08:15 AM
Would bleeding the coolant system help?

Grimm Reeper
12-03-2009, 08:17 AM
Would bleeding the coolant system help?

yep but still have to maintain adding coolant to make sure of getting all the air out.. hell this could take up to 30+ mins :goodjob:

oneSLOWex
12-03-2009, 08:19 AM
yep but still have to maintain adding coolant to make sure of getting all the air out.. hell this could take up to 30+ mins :goodjob:

NO! not 30 min!? :lmfao:

Barefoot
12-03-2009, 08:19 AM
so my new car is a 97 gsr and when i get on it, it starts to over heat and the over flow bolt starts boiling, but its not throwing a check engine light and there is no oil around the head... What could it be??air in the lines or blown head gasket.

You probably still have trapped air inside, if it was the head gasket the coolant would be mixing with the oil and you'll be seeing a particular cloud of smoke coming from your exhaust besides noticing the obvious signs

not always.

Grimm Reeper
12-03-2009, 08:22 AM
NO! not 30 min!? :lmfao:

lol True Story, I had to do that while I was at work, I was like WTF yo!!!!

air in the lines or blown head gasket.

yay!!!!! I seen you all ninja up in here I was wondering when you were going to say something lol

Grimm Reeper
12-03-2009, 08:23 AM
not always.

Thank you sir :goodjob:

Barefoot
12-03-2009, 08:24 AM
yay!!!!! I seen you all ninja up in here I was wondering when you were going to say something lol
yah i was aobut to reply then i got a call from the cop about the break in.

Grimm Reeper
12-03-2009, 08:27 AM
yah i was aobut to reply then i got a call from the cop about the break in.

damn........ :(

98blackcivic
12-03-2009, 09:15 AM
change your headgasket and water pump
i guarantee you your car will not over heat or have coolant overflow after you do
have seen this occur in 2 gsrs and my civic
its time to get that headgasket changed buddy
dont beat around the bushes

shane94
12-03-2009, 09:21 AM
damn........ :(

a buddy told me that it could be the relay for the fan, because his teg did the same thing and it was the relay so i guess that will be the first thing that i do... And the car doesnt over heat when in just driving it, just when i get on it hard

Grimm Reeper
12-03-2009, 09:48 AM
a buddy told me that it could be the relay for the fan, because his teg did the same thing and it was the relay so i guess that will be the first thing that i do... And the car doesnt over heat when in just driving it, just when i get on it hard

you can test it by bridging it or smell the fuse to see if it smells burnt

shane94
12-03-2009, 11:01 AM
you can test it by bridging it or smell the fuse to see if it smells burnt

i was going to switch the a/c relay, because there the same relay, if i smell it burned up and i want to say thank to everyone that is thereing to help me out

88civic_hatc
12-03-2009, 11:15 AM
does the fan come on, is it leaking coolant somewhere, try bleeding it

shane94
12-03-2009, 11:28 AM
does the fan come on, is it leaking coolant somewhere, try bleeding it

when i changed the theo last saturday, i let the car run for like 15mins and the fans never kicked on and im not leaking coolant and please tell me how to bleed it so i do it right

Captain-Obvious™
12-03-2009, 11:41 AM
Shane, just let the car idle with the radiator cap off. If you have air in the system you will see bubbles coming up to the top. As the coolant level goes down just add more. And if your fan does not kick in that is also a problem. You can always jump the fan to where it stays on and see if that does anything.

shane94
12-03-2009, 11:58 AM
Shane, just let the car idle with the radiator cap off. If you have air in the system you will see bubbles coming up to the top. As the coolant level goes down just add more. And if your fan does not kick in that is also a problem. You can always jump the fan to where it stays on and see if that does anything.

yea there was bubbies i just thank its that i didnt get all the air out and the fan isnt coming on

Captain-Obvious™
12-03-2009, 12:01 PM
yea there was bubbies i just thank its that i didnt get all the air out and the fan isnt coming on

Did you let it idle all the air bubbles out? If so, then you're straight on that. As far as the fan goes, if it keeps over heating, unplug the wire from right where the thermostat is and loop it with a short piece of wire. This will keep your fan running constantly. If that fixes the problem than you know you need to get the fan running properly.

shane94
12-03-2009, 12:08 PM
Did you let it idle all the air bubbles out? If so, then you're straight on that. As far as the fan goes, if it keeps over heating, unplug the wire from right where the thermostat is and loop it with a short piece of wire. This will keep your fan running constantly. If that fixes the problem than you know you need to get the fan running properly.

no and i let the car run for like 15mins and the fan never came on

civic gsr
12-03-2009, 03:15 PM
plug the fan to the battery or put a switch on see if it turns on or maybe change the plug that sends signal to the fan........

civic gsr
12-03-2009, 03:17 PM
that shit usualy sends a signal to the fan to turn on it cost like 20 bucks or cheaper thats what was wrong with my hatch and check the front fuse box

DamnDisLaOsBoY
12-03-2009, 03:40 PM
HG or water pump??

shane94
12-03-2009, 07:09 PM
i got flow going throw the hose's and there is no water in the oil and no white smoke...
but i found out that the fan isnt kicken on so i thank thats what is wrong... but if you have something you thank else please let me

shane94
12-03-2009, 07:10 PM
plug the fan to the battery or put a switch on see if it turns on or maybe change the plug that sends signal to the fan........

will do

Barefoot
12-03-2009, 07:12 PM
U need to diag the fan asap it will do the same things your describing.

shane94
12-03-2009, 08:11 PM
U need to diag the fan asap it will do the same things your describing.

so what do i need to do then

Barefoot
12-03-2009, 08:35 PM
Pretty much check your fuses relay fan motor and the fan switch. If all those are working u have an electrical issue.

shane94
12-03-2009, 08:40 PM
Pretty much check your fuses relay fan motor and the fan switch. If all those are working u have an electrical issue.

i checked the fuses and relay and still nothing so in going to check the fan motor tomorrow and if it good then im going to straight wire it

Barefoot
12-03-2009, 08:43 PM
DO NOT straight wire.

shane94
12-03-2009, 09:06 PM
DO NOT straight wire.

ill go throw the wiring and check it all and see if i can found whats not letting the fan cut on

SlamminCRX
12-04-2009, 12:23 AM
fan switch prolly took a shit.

Tech5
12-04-2009, 12:28 AM
i checked the fuses and relay and still nothing so in going to check the fan motor tomorrow and if it good then im going to straight wire it

No, just take a paper clip and go to the thermostat housing and take the fan switch connector and jump it and leave the clip in the connector I have done this and lasted yearrrsss no problems... fan comes on when you turn you're key...
But if you are driving and its overheating and boiling over I doubt its you're fan. might have been you're fan at the begining but now it sounds like a Warped head or gasket .....

If you are driving its getting plenty of air , but if you come to a stop like a redlight and it over heats then maybe fan, but while driving and under a hard load sounds more major then simple .

DC2NR
12-04-2009, 01:50 AM
As stated above, jump the switch. If the fan doesn't come on then your fan is dead. I had the same problem.

Also you might want to just flush the system and put a correct mix of coolant in there. Could be boiling over due to having too much water in the system.

http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=210503&stc=1&d=1259874928

civic gsr
12-07-2009, 11:12 AM
u copied me lol

NEMO
12-07-2009, 11:57 AM
i would still make sure all the air is out of the system. running with the cap off doesnt always get all the air out. there is also a bleeder valve at the thermostat housing

shane94
12-07-2009, 06:59 PM
its was the fan switch and there was air in the lines still... It wasnt the head gasket the oil is fine no milk in the oil and no oil around the head... And after i switched the fan switch i got on it and it didnt over heat or boil, so i guess its fixed i hope

98blackcivic
12-07-2009, 07:49 PM
its was the fan switch and there was air in the lines still... It wasnt the head gasket the oil is fine no milk in the oil and no oil around the head... And after i switched the fan switch i got on it and it didnt over heat or boil, so i guess its fixed i hope

maybe his aint bad enuff to where the coolant is leaking into the oil
i had a bad headgasket and yes i was loosing coolant @ an alarming rate, my oil looked FINE
headgasket was just STARTING to go bad

14thecount
12-08-2009, 11:38 AM
my buddy has the same issues with his but its a built ls turbo but the problem that he found out was when the decked the block is was not deck right and ever time he would get on it and get into boost the thing would run hot and i hade the smae problem and it was my head gasket and the funny thing was it was my old 97 integra gsr lol! the point is if the head gasket was replaced once before then you might have a whorped head and it might needed to be reserfeced. or maybe bad head gasket.

shane94
12-13-2009, 09:16 PM
ttt

dirk-diggler
12-13-2009, 10:17 PM
not if u use a colant bleeding funel

green91
12-14-2009, 05:18 PM
IF it only boils over when your driving it hard, its not a fan issue. The easiest way to test the fan is to use a multimeter and test for voltage at the fan connector.

You need to have a block test done. While common signs of a blown head gasket are to see mixing of oil and coolant and also to see oil around the head, the most common area to leak first is coolant into the combustion chamber. A block test allows you to test for exhaust gasses within your cooling system to see if the head gasket is indeed leaking.