PDA

View Full Version : Religion Crossroads....

ISAtlanta300
12-02-2009, 12:54 PM
Let's say you die.....

And awaken in an empty, black space.

To the right is heaven. To the left, hell.

Each has a receptionist.

You go and check out Heaven first.

"Here are the rules" the receptionist angel says.

"You will be in a beautiful golden city, with emerald walls and streets of pure gold. Beyond that, there are endless pastures of the greenest grass. All wildlife animals, all fruit trees that you can think of. The most succulent milk and honey flow like rivers. Anything you taste will taste like the sweetest thing you have ever eaten. You will meet all of your past relatives. There will be Joy. There will be Happiness. And there will be peace. Your loved one will be waiting for you, and you will live together forever and ever, in immortality."

"But here is the kicker" the angel continues "You will not have any meat, because there will be no more death or killing of living things. You can eat all the fruits, milk, honey, etc that you want, and everything will taste fantastic. Just no steaks, fish, etc. You will not have any vices. No smoking. No alcohol. No drugs. The water will taste like the sweetest (non-alcoholic) wine. We have banned all seven sins. There will be logic and wisdom. There will be no greed. No lust. No sloth. No gluttony. No Anger. No Pride and no envy, and once inside heaven, you will not possess any emotion anymore BUT happiness and joy. That means no anger, but also no sorrow. And definitely no pain, neither emotional nor physical. There will never be the sorrow of death or losing another loved one. No sorrow of war, crime, or diseases. There will also be no sex or any carnal pleasures (no lust), so there won't be any emotions for jealousy or rage etc. Just one great happy family. United with all your loved ones. Your kids and life partners, together in paradise. And you will relive your happiest moments forever and ever".

Compare this to the planet "Vulcan" in Star Trek.

You then go to Hell

"Hi there" the dark angel says.

"The rules are simple. First of all, forget everything about torture and fire/ brimstone. Those are myths. Here is the real truth. You will be in a huge city, close to any major city in the world. You will be allowed any and all vices. As much alcohol, drugs, sex, and smoking as you want. You will be allowed all emotions, just as on earth, and you are free to engage in all of the so called 'deadly sins'. Be lazy if you want to. Be greedy. Be angry. Just be human. We are basically giving you back your humanity."

"But here is the kicker" the dark angel says. "You will relive all of life's hardships and sorrow. You will meet all of your past relatives and loved ones here too, but have to relive their deaths over and over. There will be war. There will be pestilence and diseases. There will be crime and murder. There will be rage. And there will be hardship, just like life on earth was. Things will cost money, and in order to get them, you can either work or kill. But also be killed. And there will be pain, and you will feel it both physically and emotionally. You can have sex with your life partner, but there will also be jealousy. You are basically allowed endless 'alternate universes' of your own life on earth, but each with all the hardships, pain and suffering as on earth. And you will relive this life as it was on earth, forever and ever.

Compare this to the city in 'The Matrix', where you get re-inserted over and over.

Which would you chose? Will you give up your humanity and emotions for pure bliss and joy? Or will you prefer all your human senses and emotions in exchange for some suffering?

ISAtlanta300
12-02-2009, 01:06 PM
BTW this is not a push for or against religion. Just putting 'generally accepted knowledge' from both spectrums together and get an idea on what people are willing to sacrifice and why.....

Would be interesting to pick some brains and is for discussion only.

mocha latte cupcake
12-02-2009, 01:16 PM
being what i accept as truth. i'd choose heaven. its going to be real hot down there, and just cause i'm a nice person doesn't mean i'm not going to get shot every single day i'm down there, what says i don't end up in a "3rd world country" every time i get "re-inserted" i'd rather take my chances being happy and "missing out" than to re-live painful, hurting experiences and be all around.

bu villain
12-02-2009, 02:36 PM
Many of those descriptions do not make sense to me. For example, how can you have happiness without sadness? They are not two things that exist independently. They define eachother. This hurts my head trying to imagine cutting concepts like emotions in half.

ISAtlanta300
12-02-2009, 05:22 PM
In this scenario, pretend that the happiness is as a result of absense of sorrow / sadness. Remember, you just died.... and experienced both feelings when alive. But in this excercise, sadness would be removed in Heaven. However, You'll still have both feelings / emotions in Hell.

Dr.G35
12-03-2009, 12:15 AM
In this scenario, pretend that the happiness is as a result of absense of sorrow / sadness. Remember, you just died.... and experienced both feelings when alive. But in this excercise, sadness would be removed in Heaven. However, You'll still have both feelings / emotions in Hell.
Then what would there be to be sad about then?

japan4racing
12-03-2009, 01:55 AM
while we are on the topic of magic ill take hell....its seems more fun....but it dont matter, i dont believe either place exsists. when we die we die and thats it. its comforting to think of a possible afterlife but i dont buy it. to each his own...you beleive more power to you.....my choice is hell

bu villain
12-03-2009, 02:54 PM
Then what would there be to be sad about then?

Exactly! If you are eternally happy then everything else in this scenario is irrelevant. You could watch your family get hacked to bits in front of your eyes and you wouldnt be sad because there are no emotions but happiness right?

TheProfiteer
12-03-2009, 07:08 PM
Following said circumstances I would choose Hell.

geoff
12-03-2009, 08:43 PM
seems to me in your description of hell you didnt describe the matrix you described earth just as it is now. an amazing place isnt it

Dr.G35
12-04-2009, 01:59 AM
Exactly! If you are eternally happy then everything else in this scenario is irrelevant. You could watch your family get hacked to bits in front of your eyes and you wouldnt be sad because there are no emotions but happiness right?
mm kinda but he said there would be peace so your second sentence wouldn't be valid. I choose heaven.

The Creeper
12-04-2009, 02:02 AM
Give me hell...

bu villain
12-04-2009, 11:09 AM
mm kinda but he said there would be peace so your second sentence wouldn't be valid. I choose heaven.

That is true but my point is that if everyone is nothing but happy then peace and all that other stuff he mentioned is irrelevant.

ISAtlanta300
12-04-2009, 11:56 AM
The notion of Heaven seem kind of boring, as it is described by most christians......

Often makes me think: "What will there be to do in Heaven?"

then again..... lol

geoff
12-04-2009, 08:57 PM
im not sure what there will be to do in heaven but its better than eternal sadness, torment, and torture. weather its literal fire or just hell in our minds. i choose heaven x10000000000

bu villain
12-07-2009, 02:35 PM
The notion of Heaven seem kind of boring, as it is described by most christians......

Often makes me think: "What will there be to do in Heaven?"

then again..... lol

Can't be boring because there is no emotion but happiness/joy.