PDA

View Full Version : General Chat GM CEO to replace Fritz Henderson. He wanted Saab to close.

EJ25RUN
12-02-2009, 12:40 PM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/12/2010-saab-9-5-dead-on-630-1259769682.jpg

Autoblog

As General Motors suddenly finds itself in search for a new CEO to replace Fritz Henderson, it is also looking to secure a buyer for perennially troubled Saab. GM originally thought it had a new parent for the brand in Koenigsegg, but after that deal went sour, Detroit officials confirmed that it they would give themselves up until the end of the year to find a new buyer instead of simply shutting Saab down.

A number of parties have expressed interest in purchasing the brand since that time, and it has now been confirmed that the Swedish marque has another supercar-building pursuer: Spyker. The Netherlands-based exotic manufacturer has just issued a brief statement confirming that it – along with its shareholders at the Convers Group – has indeed "expressed an interest in Saab Automobile AB" (text available after the jump). Spyker has never been a brand short of ambition (remember its ill-fated Formula One effort?), but taking on Saab would be its most ambitious undertaking yet.

In related news, marque website Saab History is reporting that the US-based Merbanco group has not been chosen by GM as a possible purchaser. According to the SH, Merbanco CEO Christopher Johnston released a statement to the enthusiast group that says:

"As most of you know, we ride with the brand, the fit was good, and were up to the challenges ahead. It is now time for us to depart the field and support the company and its outstanding people.
We are grateful to all of you, fellow Saab enthusiasts and the Saab team for the support you have us. It will never be forgotten. Heartfelt thanks, Ryan and friends for your support."

(Saab History had previously conducted an interview with Johnston, the contents of which you can find here.)

Interestingly, UK buff book Autocar is reporting that yesterday's ousting of Fritz Henderson could stem from the exec's apparent desire to close Saab, a viewpoint that was evidently not shared by the rest of GM's board. We suspect there were a whole host of issues that led to Henderson's resignation, but it's likely that GM's trustees would prefer to offload the brand rather than incur substantial shutdown costs. Call it a "potential contributing factor," if you will.

Either way, do you think Saab will survive this tumult? Drop us a line in 'Comments.'

MongolPup
12-02-2009, 12:55 PM
Those bullshit commercials with jets piss me off to no end. Saab Automobile AB and Saab AB are not the exact same thing. The boys didn't finish the Grippen and then go work on the 9-5 sports sedan. Yes in 1944 they said "yo son let's build a car", but that led to the formation of a new division!

EJ25RUN
12-02-2009, 01:02 PM
Those bullshit commercials with jets piss me off to no end. Saab Automobile AB and Saab AB are not the exact same thing. The boys didn't finish the Grippen and then go work on the 9-5 sports sedan. Yes in 1944 they said "yo son let's build a car", but that led to the formation of a new division!

Rolls Royce cars and Rolls Royce engines have been separate since the 70's but because by Parliament law they can share a name and a badge, people associate them as one.

The issue here is GM ruined Saab. Saab was an engineering pioneer. In some ways, Saab cars were more revolutionary than Saab planes. For example, the Saab 92 and 93 (Not 9-3) gave the industry new aero and engine advancements. Especially Saabs use of two strokes. Saab is still considered one of the most accomplished marks in rallying before the WRC era began.

5speed
12-02-2009, 05:34 PM
EJ25EUN FTW! I like Saab. I they are underrated, but at the same time I am not sure about the dependability.

Nerdsrock22
12-02-2009, 06:39 PM
I had a GM900 (I'd still consider it a real Saab) for a few months in 2003 and that car had serious character. While it had some serious reliability issues, I've never lost my love for the brand. I'd had to see it shut down, but I'm also nervous about Chinese ownership.

Maybe Spyker can pick them up and do something.

EJ25RUN
12-02-2009, 11:15 PM
I had a GM900 (I'd still consider it a real Saab) for a few months in 2003 and that car had serious character. While it had some serious reliability issues, I've never lost my love for the brand. I'd had to see it shut down, but I'm also nervous about Chinese ownership.

Maybe Spyker can pick them up and do something.

Denmark over China.

Just look what's been happening with MG because of China ownership.