PDA

View Full Version : 93 civic VX - water pump needs replaced, what else with it?

Schugg
11-28-2009, 05:40 PM
my civic decided to start leaking at the water pump after about 250k miles. based on the mileage and the fact that it will have been showering in coolant for a while by time i replace this im going to do the timing belt too. anything else i need to think about swapping while im at it? dont know for sure but im pretty positive its about time for a new clutch, (i keep stalling out alot and the pedal has to be to the floor almost to work right, so it i need a new one or i am getting worse at driving). so chances are i may just take the whole motor out to do everything, so anything that i should go ahead an do while its out, or is usually done the same time as the timing belt, water pump, or clutch?

punkr6
11-28-2009, 05:42 PM
timing belt tensioner should be changed along with the belt and pump...

JJSPEC Racing
11-28-2009, 05:43 PM
Cam and Crank seals. If you are doing the clutch a lightweight flywheel would be a nice touch and putting a rear main in would be a good idea too.

Schugg
11-28-2009, 06:00 PM
timing belt tensioner should be changed along with the belt and pump...

was thinking of doing that too, just wasnt sure if it was needed or how they go bad

Cam and Crank seals. If you are doing the clutch a lightweight flywheel would be a nice touch and putting a rear main in would be a good idea too.

was just about to ask if anyone knew a good kit i should get for that. dont really care for some 4-500 dollars clutch/flywheel kit, just something better than whats in there. any you would recommend? forgot about all those seals, probably do those too. been so long since i had a motor out of a car just to work on it! hope i remember how to do everything

88civic_hatc
11-28-2009, 06:51 PM
replace water pump timing belt get the component kit and tentioner, valve cover gasket cams seals and front crank seal my friend

punkr6
11-28-2009, 06:56 PM
cheapest clutch kit is on ebay, I have used the gripforce kits with good results, around $140 bucks will get you the whole kit i belive....

TommyD1919
11-28-2009, 10:23 PM
I personally wouldn't spend the money on a lightened flywheel, a 93 vx with 250k miles will see no results. Don't get me wrong, Im not knocking your car. I think that thing still has alot of life but why spend money for zero results... Timing belt, tensioner, waterpump, crank seal, cam seal, resurface flyheel, and new clutch kit. I would also check my axle seals since tranny is out...

Barefoot
11-29-2009, 01:09 AM
id change the cam seal oil pump seal and for 250k the oil pump.

Schugg
11-29-2009, 04:51 PM
id change the cam seal oil pump seal and for 250k the oil pump.

didnt think of that, probably needing one of those.

I personally wouldn't spend the money on a lightened flywheel, a 93 vx with 250k miles will see no results. Don't get me wrong, Im not knocking your car. I think that thing still has alot of life but why spend money for zero results... Timing belt, tensioner, waterpump, crank seal, cam seal, resurface flyheel, and new clutch kit. I would also check my axle seals since tranny is out...

i was kinda thinking the same thing, all i want is higher mpg, and i dont know if lightened flywheel will get it much higher than it is, and im not trying to make it fast cause its a civic and i dont try to go fast anyway! but yeah for the mileage it has its doing pretty good, it doesnt smoke at all, and has a few minor leaks, which will probably be fixed when im done changing everything.

Barefoot
11-29-2009, 04:54 PM
its a lil more work but well worth it in the end.

if u want a higher mpg ever thought about having it tuned for gas savings.

Schugg
11-29-2009, 09:33 PM
its a lil more work but well worth it in the end.

if u want a higher mpg ever thought about having it tuned for gas savings.

dont remember if ive ever done a oil pump before but im sure i can figure it out. right now its getting about 40mpg,which isnt to far under what they got new which was like 45-55 or something. never thought of having it tuned for better gas mileage cause it was VX and figured it was probably already as good as it was going to get since thats what the model is for. may think about doing that later but right now i dont even feel like doing all this work! but its excuse for me to go buy a bunch of stuff i dont have like an engine hoist, air compressor and tools so guess it will be worth it.

Barefoot
11-30-2009, 01:02 AM
forgot u had a vx

k3tsurui
11-30-2009, 06:16 AM
if you are going to do all that stuff anyways, then you mind as well pull the whole motor and rebuild it from the ground up.......a vx is most def worth rebuilding and d series are as basic as it gets.......i rebuild a d with like 400 bucks worth of egay parts and it had and still have a whole lot of life left

checklist:
timing belt
tensioner
serp belts
oil and water pump
along with their respective gaskets and orings
all of the rubber shit in the head should be rep
headgasket
piston rings
rod bearings (crank bearings too, but these never spin so its probably safer to leave intact)
oil pan gasket
head studs
i am sure i left out a bunch but you get the idea

Barefoot
11-30-2009, 09:30 AM
Boy stop.

If that bitch aint knocking and has good compression u just wasted your time.
if you are going to do all that stuff anyways, then you mind as well pull the whole motor and rebuild it from the ground up.......a vx is most def worth rebuilding and d series are as basic as it gets.......i rebuild a d with like 400 bucks worth of egay parts and it had and still have a whole lot of life left

checklist:
timing belt
tensioner
serp belts
oil and water pump
along with their respective gaskets and orings
all of the rubber shit in the head should be rep
headgasket
piston rings
rod bearings (crank bearings too, but these never spin so its probably safer to leave intact)
oil pan gasket
head studs
i am sure i left out a bunch but you get the idea

Turbodude06
11-30-2009, 09:40 AM
250K, and because its leaking. Just do the timing belt, tensioner, and water pump and call it a day... If your going to do all that other stuff then u might as well rebuild it like k3tsurui said.... Just my opinion but those are like a$$holes everyone has one lol..... Good luck....

k3tsurui
11-30-2009, 09:06 PM
any car (no matter how well it currently runs) that is 200k+ needs a rebuild...assuming that the person rebuilding has the ability to do it... if you can change out the water pump and timing belt etc, then i dont see why not

Barefoot
11-30-2009, 09:12 PM
any car (no matter how well it currently runs) that is 200k+ needs a rebuild...assuming that the person rebuilding has the ability to do it... if you can change out the water pump and timing belt etc, then i dont see why not
if u saw so... do what u do...

k3tsurui
11-30-2009, 09:48 PM
boooooooooooooooooooooooooooost

SlamminCRX
11-30-2009, 10:07 PM
oil pump and seals.
clutch,
just resurface your stock flywheel
timing belt tensioner
cam seal
rear main while you doing the clutch

any other seals/gaskets you can do without doing a lot of work, like oil pan gasket or VC gasket
also if the water pump took a shit i would do the headgasket...might have fucked it up if it overheated or something, just check how your coolant is looking.

Barefoot
11-30-2009, 10:14 PM
oil pump and seals.
clutch,
just resurface your stock flywheel
timing belt tensioner
cam seal
rear main while you doing the clutch

any other seals/gaskets you can do without doing a lot of work, like oil pan gasket or VC gasket
also if the water pump took a shit i would do the headgasket...might have fucked it up if it overheated or something, just check how your coolant is looking.
:thinking::thinking::thinking:

dont support extra work that isnt needed.

SlamminCRX
11-30-2009, 11:00 PM

lol my bad, i tought i read something about him changing the clutch and rear main while hes at it.

but yea, if the clutch is good no need to do that.

k3tsurui
12-01-2009, 05:31 AM
what's wrong with putting in extra wrench time on your own car? Just because something isn't broken or smoking doesn't mean you can't change it out. If for nothing else, then for good maintenance purposes. But I do agree that if you have coolant leaking issues, then it is a safe bet that the head gasket may be in question. And besides if you do take the whole right side apart and the tranny to do the clutch, then you are like 20 min of wrenching away to do the head gasket, and 10 min from the rod bearings. I am stretching it aren't I, lol. I guess it all depends on how much you love your car. I rebuild my car every 25k; I also ride around with an open wastegate all day long

Barefoot
12-01-2009, 12:23 PM
to each his own.

Schugg
01-16-2010, 06:20 PM
got the timing belt and water pump how important is it to get the tensioner? no where around here has one unless i order it, but was trying to get it done this weekend. should i be fine with the pump and belt, or should i stop wanting to be so impatient and order the rest?!

Barefoot
01-16-2010, 06:55 PM
got the timing belt and water pump how important is it to get the tensioner? no where around here has one unless i order it, but was trying to get it done this weekend. should i be fine with the pump and belt, or should i stop wanting to be so impatient and order the rest?!ive done 100s only replaced tensioner twice.

Schugg
01-16-2010, 08:10 PM
ive done 100s only replaced tensioner twice.

haha alright, i decided im still gonna wait and order the cam and crank seals. probably get the tensioner anyway. not going to worry about the clutch stuff right now, ill do that when it doesnt work

Tech5
01-17-2010, 01:28 AM
Timing belt, tensioner, cam and crank seal , water pump

Theycall_Metue
01-17-2010, 02:40 AM
sounds like your clutch is still good, sounds like a lose clutch cable or low on fluid in the master cylinder. clutch going out dont make your peddle go all the way to the ground to catch. check on the clutch would be rolling and stump the gas, if the rpm jumps and car not going anywhere then thats a bad clutch that is going out.

Schugg
01-17-2010, 11:10 PM
sounds like your clutch is still good, sounds like a lose clutch cable or low on fluid in the master cylinder. clutch going out dont make your peddle go all the way to the ground to catch. check on the clutch would be rolling and stump the gas, if the rpm jumps and car not going anywhere then thats a bad clutch that is going out.

ill probably check the clutch pedal and all that, then flush the master cylinder and lines out when im done doing all the timing belt and water pump stuff. was kinda thinking it was still good after i tried to make it slip like you were saying, and it wouldnt. i think i may have bled the clutch a while back so i may have did it wrong or something.

Schugg
01-18-2010, 04:43 PM
alright managed to find all the parts and get it done. worse part was i got the parts last night then by 8pm it comes to put everything on and they gave me the wrong water pump. wake up as soon as they open and go get that, go to put the belt on and its to big! go back to swap that out and they didnt have it....went to about 5 stores to find it! so after finally getting it done, it runs great, alot stronger, and everything is good.

just one question, what would cause a whining noise during acceleration? doesnt really bother me but just want to make sure nothings wrong or its not going to screw anything up. could it be from the timing or alternator belt being to tight? when i was tightening the tensioner it seemed like the timing belt was pretty loose with just tightening the bolt, so i stuck something down the cover and pulled up on the arm of it then tightened it and i felt that it was good. if this is the case and its the timing belt is to tight, should i have any worries if i just go loosen that tension bolt to get rid of the extra tightness i pulled into it, and retightened it normally? i just dont like the idea of doing that and not knowing how loose/tight the belt is

Theycall_Metue
01-18-2010, 11:15 PM
not sure how tight it needs to be but you can tell if its too loose when the car is running and you can see the belt flap. a lose belt shouldnt make a whining noise when your accelerating, if its gona make a noise it'll always do it not only when your moving. does it make the whining noise like when your reversing? might be a axle issue

Schugg
01-19-2010, 07:58 AM
not sure how tight it needs to be but you can tell if its too loose when the car is running and you can see the belt flap. a lose belt shouldnt make a whining noise when your accelerating, if its gona make a noise it'll always do it not only when your moving. does it make the whining noise like when your reversing? might be a axle issue

pretty sure the noise wasnt present before i did it, and nothing was done with the axles, so dont see them causing that. it i can idle in neutral and not hear it, can here it if i hit the gas in neutral but not as loud, mainly just when the motor actually has to work to turn over