PDA

View Full Version : Handling Mods Repainting wheels

Paintballer
11-27-2009, 08:07 PM
I have some 5 spoke wheels that I got from a friend for cheap and I want to repaint them. They have some rust and am looking for tips on how to get rid of the rust. Also, which paint should I use.
Thanks,
Wes

Just looking for some people's :2cents:

PURP
11-27-2009, 08:17 PM
Take some decent grit sand paper to the wheels... maybe 220/320, just to remove the rust. Go back over the whole wheel with a little bit of a lighter grit. Then pick your paint. Alot of people use high temp paint. You can get it just about anywhere. biggest place would be autozone. Choose color, tape up tires, and start spraying. Hit it with a light coat. let the paint get tacky, then spray a full coat. let paint get tacky and then spray another. So on and on and on... untill the entire wheel is covered to your liking. You can even spray some clear on them as well.

Paintballer
11-28-2009, 12:31 AM
Thanks alot for your advice. Im gonna hit that up tomorrow.
Reps +

iEvo
11-28-2009, 08:05 PM
good tip, i always used notecards instead of tape. stick the notecards between the rim and tire. just a lot-a-bit faster

Paintballer
11-28-2009, 08:25 PM
Thanks. I started doing the rims today and we tried many different techniques. We ended up finding this airplane paint stripper and used that all over the rim to get all brake dust and rust off. Then we polished the whole wheel with a drill and a wire head. Then we sand blasted parts that we could not reach with that. Then we scrubbed the lip and stuff with very fine sandpaper. Then painted 2 coats on top of that and then we quit for the day. We only got two wheels done so we will have to finish the other two tomorrow. But thanks again for all the tips.

RL...
11-29-2009, 12:00 AM
If you want your wheels done right my friend does them...

ducati 1198
11-29-2009, 12:06 AM
good tip, i always used notecards instead of tape. stick the notecards between the rim and tire. just a lot-a-bit faster

I did the notecard thing when i painted mine, it worked pretty good.