PDA

View Full Version : Computer crashed. Need some help

1badgvr4
11-26-2009, 10:26 PM
Well my cousin left this Hp dv6000 here and says its broken. I tried to boot it up and the Hp recovery system comes up I go through it all and then it tries to do it all over again.

Mk3Jesse
11-26-2009, 10:35 PM
Well my cousin left this Hp dv6000 here and says its broken. I tried to boot it up and the Hp recovery system comes up I go through it all and then it tries to do it all over again.
do you have the Recovery disc's? or are you talking about the on board recovey?

1badgvr4
11-26-2009, 10:55 PM
do you have the Recovery disc's? or are you talking about the on board recovey?
On board.

Mk3Jesse
11-27-2009, 01:13 AM
try reformating the hard drive and installing a fresh copy of OS if you dont need to save any files.
If you got it from some one chances are you should anyways, probably loaded with junk you dont need.

guinness
11-27-2009, 08:02 AM
try reformating the hard drive and installing a fresh copy of OS if you dont need to save any files.
If you got it from some one chances are you should anyways, probably loaded with junk you dont need.

agreed!!

grizz311
11-27-2009, 08:03 AM
sounds like your recovery partition on your hard drive is corrupted. Go into Bios by tapping F10 before boot up. Look for diagnostics, and perform a hard drive check just in case. Try to find someone who has the recovery discs, or make your own. Change the boot order to boot from dvd, put in recovery discs, and do the recovery process. Should be good after that.....If not, reformat the hard drive with a new OS ^^^^^^

1badgvr4
11-27-2009, 09:20 PM
Im not really a computer guy. How do I go about reformatting the hard drive?

Mk3Jesse
11-28-2009, 01:16 AM
Im not really a computer guy. How do I go about reformatting the hard drive?

http://lifehacker.com/157578/geek-to-live--how-to-format-your-hard-drive-and-install-windows-xp-from-scratch

jorgen
11-28-2009, 08:57 AM
that guide is pretty good.
install drivers FIRST.
run the updates, they are important.

my personal advice, get a second hard drive and store all your data there.
if this happens again, you can wipe the OS drive and not have to worry about your data.

jorgen
11-28-2009, 09:01 AM
oh, and i really hope you don't have a problem with the key.
that can be a pain in the ass.

make sure you have the right copy of your OS.
Vista doesn't matter, everything is on one cd.
XP is different.
If you have home, you must use a copy of home.
If you have pro, a home cd and pro key will not work, and vice versa.
If you happen to stumble upon a Volume license cd, that will not work.
if you happen upon an OEM cd, that will not work.
and the best news of all, there is no way to tell what kind of XP install CD you have besides installing it.
If there is, someone please tell me.

Mk3Jesse
11-28-2009, 01:57 PM
and if you dont have the recovery cd's you may try contacting HP and getting them