PDA

View Full Version : single cam boost or ls swap ?

jdmblock
11-24-2009, 10:27 PM
so i have a 93 civic coupe. i have an ls motor layin around and i dont know if i wanna throw that in the car or sell it and boost the mini me (d15 block d16 head) that im throwin in the civic tomorrow. any comments or input you got let me know.

STRteg
11-24-2009, 10:29 PM
single cam boost

JJSPEC Racing
11-24-2009, 10:37 PM
[email protected]
450 WHP
32 mpg on the street

These are my reasons for the SOHC boost answer.

punkr6
11-25-2009, 07:04 AM
[email protected]
450 WHP
32 mpg on the street

nuff said...

95integra123
11-25-2009, 08:14 AM
yea sohc boost it, i was there for that 11.10 run.

Barefoot
11-25-2009, 09:09 AM
fuck yall everybody on this single cam bandwagon these days. im ls boosted. no need to post up #s u can find them your self all over the site.

SLo_MKIII
11-25-2009, 09:11 AM
fuck yall everybody on this single cam bandwagon these days. im ls boosted. no need to post up #s u can find them your self all over the site.
correct me if im wrong but from what i read ls boost wasnt a option

Barefoot
11-25-2009, 09:17 AM
correct me if im wrong but from what i read ls boost wasnt a option
stop knit picking I read the shit I know the option and I gave him a 3rd. Don't like it owell.

lol sry typing the phone still getting used it to.

SLo_MKIII
11-25-2009, 09:23 AM
No nit picking I read the shit I know the option and I gave him a 3rd. Don't like it owell.

just saying no need to get defensive... :2cents:

tmracing83
11-25-2009, 10:10 AM
"If you don't" boost that single cam. "the fuck you"

Boost d ftmfw. DAMN!

Tech5
11-25-2009, 02:59 PM
[email protected]
450 WHP
32 mpg on the street

this guy is talking about a stock motor vs a stock motor turbo

Not a Full built G's tied into it....

I would never spend the money you did to build a SOHC...

Either H2b Turbo
K swap Turbo

Cheap bastards

ueyedgr8tness
11-25-2009, 03:02 PM

Either H2b Turbo
K swap Turbo

Cheap bastards

he is not fully built bro.If he was fully built he would be around the 700hp range and be running mid 9's rods+pistons+turbo=win win

Tech5
11-25-2009, 03:40 PM
he is not fully built bro.If he was fully built he would be around the 700hp range and be running mid 9's rods+pistons+turbo=win win

NO stock SOHC will take 450 HP

turd

Hell blew up a Great running stock SOHC at 200hp

not once but many times

jhadleyh
11-25-2009, 03:43 PM
ill be back later...this thread may get tasty

Tech5
11-25-2009, 03:49 PM
ill be back later...this thread may get tasty

If your looking for something to taste I got something right here:smackass:

Formally...
11-25-2009, 04:03 PM
Boosted SOHC will be more bang for your buck. Will make more power then LS and be more fun on streets.

I would do headstuds just to be safe. Dseries like to blow headgaskets when boosted.

Tech5
11-25-2009, 04:06 PM
Boosted SOHC will be more bang for your buck. Will make more power then LS and be more fun on streets.

I would do headstuds just to be safe. Dseries like to blow headgaskets when boosted.

and slinging rods

Ls boosted would make more power then a sohc boosted anyday!

But to the OP I would do a LS swap and turbo later

slostang
11-25-2009, 05:02 PM
boosted single FTW!

Formally...
11-25-2009, 05:11 PM
and slinging rods

Ls boosted would make more power then a sohc boosted anyday!

But to the OP I would do a LS swap and turbo later

Slinging rods:thinking:

Okay the LS TURBO (not NA LS like OP said) could make about 30-50whp more stock then a dseries but you have to factor in the price of a tranny, axles, shift linkage. etc

The dseries is plenty strong. Scotty (scttydb411) has tried many times to blow his BONE STOCK 140k mile Y7 up on the dyno and it is still going strong (255whp). I have turned up the boost on my daily to 15psi when it was only tuned for 9psi (motor was already making funny noise and i didn't care). Still made 220whp the day I pulled it out.

SoLJames95
11-25-2009, 05:39 PM
Slinging rods:thinking:

Okay the LS TURBO (not NA LS like OP said) could make about 30-50whp more stock then a dseries but you have to factor in the price of a tranny, axles, shift linkage. etc

The dseries is plenty strong. Scotty (scttydb411) has tried many times to blow his BONE STOCK 140k mile Y7 up on the dyno and it is still going strong (255whp). I have turned up the boost on my daily to 15psi when it was only tuned for 9psi (motor was already making funny noise and i didn't care). Still made 220whp the day I pulled it out.

X2
I was in the dilema, and Its only how you drive it and tuned is the key! My first boosted d had 202k and it was a d15b7 and made 190/181 at 9 psi Stock internals. Ran for a year( thats with me racing street light to street light and racing it on the track and Charles launching like a mofo!:lmfao:) It lasted a year, and the only reason it blew was because I was doing 155mph going to Columbus and lost oil and cracked a sleeve.:eek:
So say D..... Also in the long run cheaper to fix. I rather have a boosted d then my ls/v.:yes: Maintence prices on a ls are cheaper then d series. Also D has gets better gas.;)

punkr6
11-25-2009, 06:21 PM

there's a light, you're just not seeing it...:eek:

punkr6
11-25-2009, 06:24 PM
you simply can't beat a boosted D on a power to cost ratio....

JJSPEC Racing
11-25-2009, 06:27 PM

X2 on the studs, Good advice!

Either H2b Turbo
K swap Turbo

Cheap bastards

Actually it isnt a fully built engine, just some pistons and rods that had about 30000 miles on them, a set of arp head studs, and a blockguard. The rods had to be resized due to someone not checking oil and heating up a bearing a little. I didnt even pull the crank out of the block because it ran so good so it even has the original main bearings. You sound so hateful calling everyone "cheap bastards". There is nothing wrong with being frugal and saving a few dollars. A lot of people are having to scale back on spending due to the economy and paying bills. I would rather see someone spend a few dollars wisely and enjoy their setup than to spend a lot of hard earned money and not be able to enjoy it because they are constantly worried about breaking something and then not having the money to fix it. I can call 3 people and get a block right now if I break the one I am currently using. I cant do that with a B series.

NO stock SOHC will take 450 HP

turd

Hell Scotty blew up a Great running stock SOHC at 200hp

not once but many times

I dont know if a stock LS would take 450 WHP either:thinking: I blew up a few good running D series engines because I would push them to the limit to see how far they could go. This gave me the experience that has allowed me to take a stock sleeved, stock head D series to the level that it is now. Plus, my customers can count on my experience to help them with their vehicles.

Have a nice day and a good Thanksgiving!

punkr6
11-25-2009, 06:32 PM

Actually it isnt a fully built engine, just some pistons and rods that had about 30000 miles on them, a set of arp head studs, and a blockguard. The rods had to be resized due to someone not checking oil and heating up a bearing a little. I didnt even pull the crank out of the block because it ran so good so it even has the original main bearings. You sound so hateful calling everyone "cheap bastards". There is nothing wrong with being frugal and saving a few dollars. A lot of people are having to scale back on spending due to the economy and paying bills. I would rather see someone spend a few dollars wisely and enjoy their setup than to spend a lot of hard earned money and not be able to enjoy it because they are constantly worried about breaking something and then not having the money to fix it. I can call 3 people and get a block right now if I break the one I am currently using. I cant do that with a B series.

I dont know if a stock LS would take 450 WHP either:thinking: I blew up a few good running D series engines because I would push them to the limit to see how far they could go. This gave me the experience that has allowed me to take a stock sleeved, stock head D series to the level that it is now. Plus, my customers can count on my experience to help them with their vehicles.

REPS

JJSPEC Racing
11-25-2009, 06:34 PM
Thanks!

boosted b
11-25-2009, 06:40 PM
jjmastertech owns him now

ueyedgr8tness
11-25-2009, 08:10 PM
jj>all

Wildebeest
11-25-2009, 10:48 PM
Its really just a personal opinion... I would chose the SOHC

Tech5
11-25-2009, 10:53 PM

You got to be one of the on IA where in the hell did i say a stock LS will hold 450 hp???

you took all that time to type for nothin:screwy:

You posted your first post in here with your power and times like saying this guy could take his stock SOHC to that power...

Good luck getting 212 hp with a stock D series with it lasting

we are talking about a stock LS Vs a Stock D series Turbo... can you understand what he wrote

I would take his money and b swap that car and later turbo it and he could get more power out of a LS turbo (STOCK)
Vs A STOCK D series any day!!

You understand or do I need to call you ?

JJSPEC Racing
11-25-2009, 11:30 PM
:D I had a bone stock D16 with a turbo that had 226 whp and drove it for over 10000 miles before I put pistons and rods in it to make me feel better about turning it up. Just sayin.

-S Double C-
11-25-2009, 11:33 PM
ive personally had a boosted ls that was tuned on 12lbs and made 270 something and ran 12.7's on drag radials bogging and also had a d16y8 completely stock other the 500 dollars in rods/pistons and headstuds that made 360hp and 280trq on 20lbs and pump gas that ran 11.80's you dumb fuckers do the math! Had 1000 in the ls swap plus another 1500 for all the turbo stuff and another 500 for the tune. Had 400 for the d series swap, 500 to build it and 800 in turbo stuff plus 420 to tune it.....WHICH CAME OUT BETTER?!!!!!

Tech5
11-25-2009, 11:34 PM
:D I had a bone stock D16 with a turbo that had 226 whp and drove it for over 10000 miles before I put pistons and rods in it to make me feel better about turning it up. Just sayin.

want a cookie or a dill dough?

I had a "

Who cares what you had , MASTERMEOFF

1 out of 10 lasted that long you got very lucky and you know it too that is why you went threw it... 10K is not a LONG time. Hell I drive 3K miles a Month..So to take a perfect running motor to only last 10K miles is a waste!

-S Double C-
11-25-2009, 11:35 PM

oh and before the motor was built i had 254whp for 9 months till i only had 1 qt. of oil and spun a rod bearing

Tech5
11-25-2009, 11:37 PM
ive personally had a boosted ls that was tuned on 12lbs and made 270 something and ran 12.7's on drag radials and also had a d16y8 completely stock other the 500 dollars in rods/pistons and headstuds that made 360hp and 280trq on 20lbs and pump gas that ran 11.80's you dumb fuckers do the math! Had 1000 in the ls swap plus another 1500 for all the turbo stuff and another 500 for the tune. Had 400 for the d series swap, 500 to build it and 800 in turbo stuff plus 420 to tune it.....WHICH CAME OUT BETTER?!!!!!

How is 270 hp running 12.7's
and one running 360 hp running 11.80???

Hummm dont add up right my friend..

Trying to type some BS to get reps ok I am sending you some:lmfao:

-S Double C-
11-25-2009, 11:39 PM
How is 270 hp running 12.7's
and one running 360 hp running 11.80???

Hummm dont add up right my friend..

Trying to type some BS to get reps ok I am sending you some:lmfao:

I hear yah you bad ass mr ase technician you, you ever heard of TRACTION why your talking all this shit what do you run down the track? hmm? I had the slips of what i ran when i sold the teg that ran 12.70's the d series was replaced by a sleeved 84mm ls/vtec. I dont give a FUCK about no damn reps dude, BIG DEAL does it make your dick hard to neg rep someone?

Tech5
11-25-2009, 11:54 PM
I run a Pinto wagon

JJSPEC Racing
11-25-2009, 11:57 PM
want a cookie or a dill dough?

I had a "

Who cares what you had , MASTERMEOFF

1 out of 10 lasted that long you got very lucky and you know it too that is why you went threw it... 10K is not a LONG time. Hell I drive 3K miles a Month..So to take a perfect running motor to only last 10K miles is a waste!

Good tuning, is key, my friend. Like I stated, I wanted to turn it up so I felt pistons and rods would be good insurance.

Tech5
11-25-2009, 11:58 PM
Good tuning, is key, my friend. Like I stated, I wanted to turn it up so I felt pistons and rods would be good insurance.
lolol... true true .....

REPS giving for your badass sig!:goodjob::goodjob:

JJSPEC Racing
11-26-2009, 12:01 AM
Thanks.

punkr6
11-26-2009, 03:14 AM
D is the new B, that is all....

greasemunkey
11-26-2009, 03:43 AM
man i guess i went wrong... i should of kept the d15 i had forever ago and boosted it with the 1700 i sepnt on a gsr swap :( o well it was worth it in the long run i guess :-)
just my 2cents is d boosted could make that tree huggin girl you were talking to last week like ya more then a oil/gas burning B... just saying i had 200k on my d not a drop of burnt oil and then i drop a gsr with like 140k and burn like a motha fh... but anyway if you wanna just have something fun for drivin to point a/b and cheap i would say D boosted but i have no experince in it so i guess my 2cents aint worth its wieght.

scttydb411
11-26-2009, 08:39 AM
to correct slight misinformation:
1. I haven't blown my d-series. the only d i've seen blown on the dyno were: (a) built d series that machine shop had pist/wall clearances way too tight (no signs of detonation when we pulled it apart (b) unknown motor charles dropped in his car that was left over after a swap that popped headgasket before turning up the boost.
2. still have the stock y7 in my 2000 civic...149k miles now boosted it @ 62k...85k plus miles bosted stock
3. no headstuds...didn't I say stock
4. if it's a good motor 180 for d15 and 190 for d16 will be reliable forever so long as user error doesn't come in to play. more power if you take care of it.

scttydb411
11-26-2009, 08:45 AM
also, since u have both and if both engines are not beat and turbo is option for both and going to remain completely stock then I would go ls-turbo.

with the properly sized turbo they both will make tons of tq...the ls will make more hp with less work.

I personally like the d series though b/c it is pretty damn cheap.

14thecount
11-26-2009, 10:12 PM
stop knit picking I read the shit I know the option and I gave him a 3rd. Don't like it owell.

lol sry typing the phone still getting used it to.
hell yea ls boosted is the way to go i have my da and i couldnt emagine if i boosted mine your right man ls's has more torque and more stock then a single came its a no brainer! a ls swap you could get for like 500.00ish and a ebay kit for like 500.00is and bam you got a 230 to 250hp car!

TommyD1919
11-27-2009, 07:55 AM
If you have everything or almost everything to do the LS swap, I would go that route. Because even though a properly tuned d series turbo is great and reliable, its still hard to beat OEM Honda reliability.. Ls swap will have great power with no worries. I am alittle "old" school I guess because in my world B series over D series. Not bashing anyone, this is just what I have grown use too..

punkr6
11-27-2009, 08:13 AM
If you have everything or almost everything to do the LS swap, I would go that route. Because even though a properly tuned d series turbo is great and reliable, its still hard to beat OEM Honda reliability.. Ls swap will have great power with no worries. I am alittle "old" school I guess because in my world B series over D series. Not bashing anyone, this is just what I have grown use too..

I used to be the same way " b-all the way " but as time has went on by, The lil' D has gotten more and more powerful and reliable, due to tuning and knowlage of parts ect. I have had a number of gsr/lsvtec/buids and now just about to finish my first turbo d build. I can't believe how cheap and easy its become. I paid $250 for a complete d16y7 swap, $100 for a z6 head and another $100 for an ex/si tranny. I then sold all the left over parts and have about $250 bucks in my complete sohc vtec swap. ( all bought on IA :goodjob: ) Thats before machine work and new rods, pistons ect. But you can see how cheap it really is. In the end it's all personal preference/HP goals and your budget . Just think of how much fun you can have being the underdog, and if it blows you can fix it for almost nothing....:D

TommyD1919
11-27-2009, 06:36 PM
I used to be the same way " b-all the way " but as time has went on by, The lil' D has gotten more and more powerful and reliable, due to tuning and knowlage of parts ect. I have had a number of gsr/lsvtec/buids and now just about to finish my first turbo d build. I can't believe how cheap and easy its become. I paid $250 for a complete d16y7 swap, $100 for a z6 head and another $100 for an ex/si tranny. I then sold all the left over parts and have about $250 bucks in my complete sohc vtec swap. ( all bought on IA :goodjob: ) Thats before machine work and new rods, pistons ect:D. But you can see how cheap it really is. In the end it's all personal preference/HP goals and your budget . Just think of how much fun you can have being the underdog, and if it blows you can fix it for almost nothing....:D

And they are cute too...:D

JJSPEC Racing
11-27-2009, 06:56 PM
And they are cute too...:D

Never tell a man that his engine is cute, lol!

goi_ek
11-27-2009, 09:17 PM
lol

JVP
01-29-2010, 06:48 PM
single cam boost better !!