PDA

View Full Version : Powermat

SPOOLIN
11-23-2009, 02:40 PM
Discuss

http://www.powermat.com/us/home/

I think the technology is cool but this implementation lacks the idea of wireless for sure. I want to just sit my phone on there and it charge, not sit my phone in a dock and then sit it on the mat, thats just adding clutter .

dorin48
11-23-2009, 03:26 PM
Why would you need the dock? Charging pad plus attachment pad, no dock. You would only use your dock if you don't want to attach the receiver pad to your phone directly.

Mk3Jesse
11-23-2009, 03:28 PM
thats neat, seen the wireless charging laptops from dell. Pretty neat stuff.

civicturbo10
11-23-2009, 05:48 PM
looks pretty neat. Doesn't look like the dock is needed. Just the pad and the casing for phone. Lay the encased phone on the pad /mat and it charges. A nice tidy solution, i suppose. Maybe it will take off market wise...the iphone did.

man
11-24-2009, 12:39 AM
I looked at them, but honestly it's an over-priced gimmick. Is it really worth $300+ to not have to plug it in? Not to me personally. Now if they made a whole desk out of it I would reconsider, although it would probably be a 5 grand. lol

dorin48
11-24-2009, 10:09 AM
I looked at them, but honestly it's an over-priced gimmick. Is it really worth $300+ to not have to plug it in? Not to me personally. Now if they made a whole desk out of it I would reconsider, although it would probably be a 5 grand. lol

I agree, but the technology is still new in the consumer world. In a few years manufacturers will build the charging receiver into any battery powered device and the cost will go down for the pads so power cords will become obsolete.

DemonEyez
11-24-2009, 07:01 PM
if people built in the coils to the devices wont need any docks or additional cases etc.

but i had to do a research study on this technology about a year ago.
Unfortunately, until they figure out how to not cause cancer, while quickly charging things *aka higher power* it won't go very far beyong small devices.

The goal was eventually to charge implanted medical devices, laptops and then possibly full range electronics. but again. higher power = cancer. at least a year ago

sikfricks
11-24-2009, 07:05 PM
something similar has been out for gaming systems for awhile

Sol-Badguy
11-26-2009, 03:21 AM
I just bought a wireless charging mat for my Wiimotes today. The thing is awesome!