PDA

View Full Version : Extended time...

quickdodgeŽ
11-23-2009, 11:51 AM
Just found out that I will now be on vacation until January 2010. Another month. Damn. Later, QD.

S2KJD
11-23-2009, 11:52 AM
just in time for the holidays :goodjob:

thegovanator
11-23-2009, 11:53 AM
That sucks

Echonova
On the upside you'll be able to...

Well, there is no real upside.

HalfBaked
Apply to be a substitute teacher.

IndianStig
Paid vacation?

Sucks if not.

What do you drive around in them trucks QD? I figured it woulda been busier around this time....

punkr6
11-23-2009, 11:54 AM

x2, might be a blessing, more family time during the holidays....

HalfBaked
11-23-2009, 11:55 AM
Also if you're looking for something to do I bet UPS is hiring seasonal employees. I know they get slammed this time of year.

§treet_§peed
11-23-2009, 12:00 PM
Shit I bet QD is going out of his mind right now.

quickdodgeŽ
11-23-2009, 12:03 PM

x2, might be a blessing, more family time during the holidays....

Not good. I spend plenty of time with the family during normal work weeks. But it is unpaid so this is not good.

Paid vacation?

No sir. Five months unpaid leave. I haul whatever, pretty much. Anything from paper towels to groceries to tractors and lawn mowers. You name it, I've pretty much hauled it. And the winter months are the worst times in trucking. Except for my position. I actually make more money hauling empty trailers during the cold months than I do hauling freight in the warmer ones.

Also if you're looking for something to do I bet UPS is hiring seasonal employees. I know they get slammed this time of year.

I'm not looking for any work, man, but thanks for the tip. By the time I get in and trained, it would be time for me to quit.

Later, QD.

HalfBaked
11-23-2009, 12:11 PM
It is seasonal stuff, I doubt they'd really train very long.

Just something I saw when searching for seasonal work for friends.

xxbckiexx
11-23-2009, 12:13 PM
Not good. I spend plenty of time with the family during normal work weeks. But it is unpaid so this is not good.

No sir. Five months unpaid leave. I haul whatever, pretty much. Anything from paper towels to groceries to tractors and lawn mowers. You name it, I've pretty much hauled it. And the winter months are the worst times in trucking. Except for my position. I actually make more money hauling empty trailers during the cold months than I do hauling freight in the warmer ones.

I'm not looking for any work, man, but thanks for the tip. By the time I get in and trained, it would be time for me to quit.

Later, QD.

No training necessary for UPS. You just load/sort or deliver packages. They hire people during holidays and then lay them off afterwards.

Double_0_Rusty
11-23-2009, 01:00 PM
Sucks right? Ive been out of work for 3 weeks now, and Ive been pulling my hair out.....

ep9716
11-23-2009, 01:52 PM
Sucks right? Ive been out of work for 3 weeks now, and Ive been pulling my hair out.....
Get off line and look for work..That might help.

Sammich
11-23-2009, 02:54 PM
that sucks man, were/are u able to get some unemployment benefits during ur down time?

quickdodgeŽ
11-23-2009, 03:16 PM
that sucks man, were/are u able to get some unemployment benefits during ur down time?

I didn't attempt. Since it would still come from my employer (they would be contacted about my departure) and I am going back to work for them, I didn't want to take a chance on causing a rift between us. Later, QD.

Double_0_Rusty
11-23-2009, 04:39 PM
Get off line and look for work..That might help.

No need to be an asshole, I have 40 applications out, in less than three weeks still haven't recieved and benefits, and I have bills backed up. This weather has my side work screwed up. They ARE jobs posted on the internet now too, welcome to 2009.

cm7k24
11-23-2009, 08:25 PM

Later, QD.

you've been on vacation for 5 monthes??

damn.

AllTheDude
11-23-2009, 08:52 PM
Sucks...I hope y'all get back to work soon.

Sammich
11-24-2009, 09:05 AM
I didn't attempt. Since it would still come from my employer (they would be contacted about my departure) and I am going back to work for them, I didn't want to take a chance on causing a rift between us. Later, QD.
i was always under the impression that unemployment benefits always came from the state...when my old job that i just got cut off went to 20hrs/wk i got partial unemployment. i hope teh best man, only thing i can say is do a little side hustle wedding yards or detailing cars on the side..something.

Greddypacked
11-24-2009, 09:56 AM
And the winter months are the worst times in trucking. Except for my position.

Later, QD.

Very true... there is just something about not wanting to sit at truckstops way up north in the freezing snow not moving anywhere due to the roads being closed... and your spending money left and right on survival. In truck driving I would put in a 2 weeks notice about the beginning of November due to the winter driving, and go work somewhere for about 4 months until March and get back on the road again if I was doing OTR again lol. Also driving up mountains in weather around the 30's isnt fun. I heard of trainees driving up cold mountains and waking their trainers up to an almost falling down the mountain due to hitting ice lol. Now when the spring and the warm sun hit back up... that's when most truckers start making the money again like cha ching.

quickdodgeŽ
11-24-2009, 10:30 AM
Very true... there is just something about not wanting to sit at truckstops way up north in the freezing snow not moving anywhere due to the roads being closed... and your spending money left and right on survival. In truck driving I would put in a 2 weeks notice about the beginning of November due to the winter driving, and go work somewhere for about 4 months until March and get back on the road again if I was doing OTR again lol. Also driving up mountains in weather around the 30's isnt fun. I heard of trainees driving up cold mountains and waking their trainers up to an almost falling down the mountain due to hitting ice lol. Now when the spring and the warm sun hit back up... that's when most truckers start making the money again like cha ching.

I was referencing a question as how busy truckers are during the winter.

i was always under the impression that unemployment benefits always came from the state...

Employers pay into unemployment. Later, QD.

SicStang03
11-24-2009, 10:51 AM
This sounds more like being laid off and not accepting it to me LOL

You could have gotten unemployment for this long ass wait.

quickdodgeŽ
11-24-2009, 11:20 AM
This sounds more like being laid off and not accepting it to me LOL

You could have gotten unemployment for this long ass wait.

I wasn't laid off. And again, I wasn't risking my return with filing for unemployment. Especially since I was financially ok. Later, QD.

Greddypacked
11-24-2009, 03:25 PM
I was referencing a question as how busy truckers are during the winter.

Ah still I wouldnt like the snow driving in the winter. To slow, to cold, and just not very comfortable is what im saying. If you drive for some companies you will make less money in the winter due to slow driving and closed roads. If you get paid by the mile that would suck.

DB4LYFE ™
11-24-2009, 04:52 PM
Sorry dude!

~DB4LYFE

quickdodgeŽ
12-07-2009, 12:06 PM
In my final month, WAHOOO!!!

About 3 weeks. I'm good to go on the 16th of this month but have to wait until January before I can get back at the company. Later, QD.

JJSPEC Racing
12-07-2009, 07:47 PM

True, the employer always receives notice when a laid off employee asks for benefits and has to fill out paperwork. I hope for the best for you QD and if you are down in Macon and want to handle the phone for a few hours let me know.

quickdodgeŽ
12-07-2009, 07:57 PM
I want to come down to the shop for sure, man, and meet you folks. Would be cool to meet some IA folks in another area. Later, QD.

JJSPEC Racing
12-07-2009, 08:04 PM
Carpool Saturday and hope to see you there!

quickdodgeŽ
12-09-2009, 11:19 AM
Carpool Saturday and hope to see you there!

I wish I could, man. I had actually talked to the weef about it, but then I got a call about an old school gathering on the same day and I do have to hit that up. If for nothing else, because it's closer and saves gas/money.

I am going to come down sometime in February so that I can bring the Civic with me though.

ONE WEEK LEFT!!! Later, QD.

imperception
12-09-2009, 11:36 AM
I read unpaid...ouch man, I hope they clear that up soon for you.

quickdodgeŽ
12-11-2009, 09:43 PM
I read unpaid...ouch man, I hope they clear that up soon for you.

Four more days and it's all good. Of course I have to wait until January before I go back to work, though.

The end is near. Bet you never heard anyone say they miss working. Later, QD.

UpSideDownDesi
12-11-2009, 09:48 PM
dang that suck, but 1 more month and you are back makin money. I am just going back in from 2 weeks paid vacation. Felt good lol.

quickdodgeŽ
12-11-2009, 09:53 PM
It does suck. I lost my seniority and everything. Next year would have put me at three $1,000 bonus checks per year and all. Now I have to start over with one $400 check until I hit my second year. But I don't have to go through training since I wasn't away for long enough. And I get to go right back where I left off and that spot is a dream spot for everyone in the company. There is no less than 200 people/terminal on the waiting list to get on this account. So I'm just happy they held my spot for me. I'll just come back in 2010 and kick some ass. And get my car finished. Later, QD.

Mantooth
12-11-2009, 09:55 PM
Four more days and it's all good. Of course I have to wait until January before I go back to work, though.

The end is near. Bet you never heard anyone say they miss working. Later, QD.I was laid off in August '08. Found a job 3 months later. The first few weeks were fun, then I was really wanting to work. Problem was, I'm specialized in my field, so I wasn't going to take just anything until I absolutely had to. GL, man. Hope it gets back to normal soon.:goodjob:

ATLTSX
12-11-2009, 09:57 PM
It does suck. I lost my seniority and everything. Next year would have put me at three $1,000 bonus checks per year and all. Now I have to start over with one $400 check until I hit my second year. But I don't have to go through training since I wasn't away for long enough. And I get to go right back where I left off and that spot is a dream spot for everyone in the company. There is no less than 200 people/terminal on the waiting list to get on this account. So I'm just happy they held my spot for me. I'll just come back in 2010 and kick some ass. And get my car finished. Later, QD.

That is pretty :gay: but atleast you got the job back.
:cheers:

quickdodgeŽ
12-11-2009, 10:02 PM
Hope it gets back to normal soon.:goodjob:

Preciate it, man.

but atleast you got the job back.

Yes. For sure. Great money for easy work. I could honestly say that I used to just wait for the weekend to end so I could get back to work on Monday. Truly. That's how good my job was/is. Later, QD.

Jblizzard
12-14-2009, 10:58 AM
Gives you plenty of time to find out about that dog you saw... that disappeared

imperception
12-14-2009, 11:10 AM

The end is near. Bet you never heard anyone say they miss working. Later, QD.

Least of all me, at least for a short period of time. I had it made for a while in PR position. Loved it, but not dependable at all. Now it's back to work like regular folk. Hope it's over by now man. :goodjob:

quickdodgeŽ
12-14-2009, 11:22 AM
Hope it's over by now man. :goodjob:

Wednesday, everything is clear for me to return to work. Two more days. Later, QD.

umairejaz
12-14-2009, 12:02 PM
I hope everything goes well getting back at it, seems you really miss it. I can't even spend Sundays without wanting to head to the office for a few hours.