PDA

View Full Version : bad diff? drivetrain noise

dallasb84
11-22-2009, 09:43 PM
i have a ls tranny with an obx lsd..... ive had the car driving for the last 3 months since install....

well ive never had a noise grind or anything until tonight...

finally got the car boosted and have given it about 15 hard pulls......

it will wheel spin to 80 mph when i let off and its a wet out.... pretty much just spinning wheels and so on. well

i pull into my driveway and any slight turn i hear GRRRRR pause GRRRRRR pause GRRRRR pause GRRRRRR at slow speed (like barely creeping) if im straight nothing.....

well im worried its my differential but at the same time it may be the axles???

i have 30 weight motor oil in the case and well..... after working alllll day on it im tired and dont feel like draining some tranny fluid....

any ideas folks?

81911SC
11-22-2009, 09:56 PM
Why would you spin your tires to 80 on the speedo?

dallasb84
11-22-2009, 10:01 PM
srsly man? does your question have anything to do with what i asked????

come on dude i just want some ideas about whats might be messed up or if its noisey..... ive heard quaife and obx helicals can be noisey...... it doesnt do it at say 15 mph and faster

81911SC
11-22-2009, 10:05 PM
srsly man? does your question have anything to do with what i asked????

come on dude i just want some ideas about whats might be messed up or if its noisey..... ive heard quaife and obx helicals can be noisey...... it doesnt do it at say 15 mph and fasterIf it's coming from your diff, I'd check there.

Barefoot
11-22-2009, 10:51 PM
If it's coming from your diff, I'd check there.
x2

dallasb84
11-22-2009, 11:10 PM
im not sure where its coming from/.... i just took it to checkers.... and there was no noise... im thinking the beating i gave it did something??? can the diff get hot and make noise?? or how about the axles can they do that??? this is wierd

Barefoot
11-23-2009, 12:11 AM
im not sure where its coming from/.... i just took it to checkers.... and there was no noise... im thinking the beating i gave it did something??? can the diff get hot and make noise?? or how about the axles can they do that??? this is wierdim not a transmission person by any means. i do know ive never heard axles make the noise u described.

dallasb84
11-27-2009, 09:53 PM
update:

main diff bearing took a shit.... lsd is ok.... just swapped trannys on my holiday vacation.... god damn

JJSPEC Racing
11-28-2009, 05:37 PM
You can put bearings in, you dont have to replace the whole trans.

scttydb411
11-28-2009, 09:39 PM
update:

main diff bearing took a shit.... lsd is ok.... just swapped trannys on my holiday vacation.... god damn

so you ended up making it up to virginia ok? how was the ride up? did you get your dump tube done yet?

dallasb84
11-30-2009, 01:52 PM
yeah i barely made it up..... ha ha

once i got there i bought another ls 5 speed and swapped it in..... im going to tear apart my other tranny and fix it.... dump tubes not done but i did get a check engine light.......

i havent tried to pull codes off it yet to see what it is..... but the motor ran great.

scttydb411
12-01-2009, 12:21 PM
pull the code and let me know asap.