PDA

View Full Version : S13 runnin very weird

Wildebeest
11-22-2009, 10:33 AM
Strange thing happened last night...

I was driving home from my girlfriends house last night, on the way down the hill out of her hood my car started running real rough. I didnt know what the hell had happened, loss of power car sounded like a WRX. Turned outta the hood and started going down the road and it ran fine. Got about 1/2 a mile down the road to a light and stopped. Then it started running rough again, Idling real low. Turn around and go back to her house, her brother and I take a peek and he says that it sounded like i had a plug go out, we take it out, and its ok. we test the plug wire, and its ok as well. So he says that I might have dropped a cylinder :cry:. But i wonder, If I had dropped a cylinder it would have ran like shit the entire time, not have been fixed momentarily then run like shit again?? So maybe a valve got stuck? Any ideas from the mechanical wizards out there??

Me86Rob
11-22-2009, 10:37 AM
Mass Air Flow?

Wildebeest
11-22-2009, 10:44 AM
Couldnt have been the MAF cause we took out the #1 cylinder plug and it ran exactly the same as it had been, take out 2,3,and 4 and it ran worse?

HMGDRFTER
11-22-2009, 12:08 PM
check your MAF,knock sensor, timing, fuel injectors, fuel filter, nissans have a lot of electrical stuff, fastest way to figure out whats wrong is Check your ECU for codes.. or you can also reset the ECU, just go to the ECU, there should be a little knob thingy you can turn with a flat head screw driver, as soon as you turn it all the way around your car check engline light should blink.. if it blinks 5 long ones and 5 short ones, that means everything is fine, if any other codes like 3 long and 4 short is 34 which is your knock sensor i think, but im just using it as an example.

To reset, turn your key on, but don't turn on your car, and then turn the ECU knob to show you the codes, if it is 55 it's fine, if it gives you any other code, after you turn the knob, turn it back so no codes are showing, take out your key, put your key back in, and repeat the steps and it should reset your ECU back to 55 (which is no problems), turn on your car for a couple a mins so the ECU can recheck the codes, if 55 shows up then you shoudl be good, if any others keep showing up then you should get them replaced.

dohc4.6sc
11-22-2009, 01:31 PM
Couldnt have been the MAF cause we took out the #1 cylinder plug and it ran exactly the same as it had been, take out 2,3,and 4 and it ran worse?

who are you in douglasville? and if it ran the same with #1 plug out the replace it.

Me86Rob
11-22-2009, 02:33 PM
how does the mas air flow co-incide with the plugs? My Z did the same thing. Just started running like shit one day. it was the mas air flow. Check it. Im telling you.

TommyD1919
11-22-2009, 02:41 PM
do a comp. test.

Wildebeest
11-22-2009, 05:03 PM
check your MAF,knock sensor, timing, fuel injectors, fuel filter, nissans have a lot of electrical stuff, fastest way to figure out whats wrong is Check your ECU for codes.. or you can also reset the ECU, just go to the ECU, there should be a little knob thingy you can turn with a flat head screw driver, as soon as you turn it all the way around your car check engline light should blink.. if it blinks 5 long ones and 5 short ones, that means everything is fine, if any other codes like 3 long and 4 short is 34 which is your knock sensor i think, but im just using it as an example.

To reset, turn your key on, but don't turn on your car, and then turn the ECU knob to show you the codes, if it is 55 it's fine, if it gives you any other code, after you turn the knob, turn it back so no codes are showing, take out your key, put your key back in, and repeat the steps and it should reset your ECU back to 55 (which is no problems), turn on your car for a couple a mins so the ECU can recheck the codes, if 55 shows up then you shoudl be good, if any others keep showing up then you should get them replaced.

Thanks for the idea man, me and my GF's brother are about to try and figure out whats wrong with it.. Ill keep yall posted

Wildebeest
11-22-2009, 05:04 PM
who are you in douglasville? and if it ran the same with #1 plug out the replace it.

My name is Todd, Graduated lithia springs, and drive a white 93 S13 coupe. Think you might know me or something? lol

HMGDRFTER
11-22-2009, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the idea man, me and my GF's brother are about to try and figure out whats wrong with it.. Ill keep yall posted

yeah np, if your MAF is wrong when you troubleshoot ur ECU it'll give ya the 12 CODE i think thats for the MAF if not i don't think you should mess with your MAF, either that or if you really wanna check if its your MAF like the other guys posted to see if it works, all you have to do is get a volt meter turn on the car and check if there is voltage going through your MAF, as you rev the motor higher, the voltage should rise if not than your MAF is messed up.

Wildebeest
11-22-2009, 05:54 PM
yeah np, if your MAF is wrong when you troubleshoot ur ECU it'll give ya the 12 CODE i think thats for the MAF if not i don't think you should mess with your MAF, either that or if you really wanna check if its your MAF like the other guys posted to see if it works, all you have to do is get a volt meter turn on the car and check if there is voltage going through your MAF, as you rev the motor higher, the voltage should rise if not than your MAF is messed up.

We just checked it out, injector 1 is either ka-puut or clogged really bad. Headed to the parts store now to pick one up :cry:

Wildebeest
11-22-2009, 06:51 PM
We just checked it out, injector 1 is either ka-puut or clogged really bad. Headed to the parts store now to pick one up :cry:

I just put the new injector in and runs perfectly! :bump:woot! BTW, it is for sale!

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/1468085265.html go check it!! As you can tell by the title I am still noob-arific. And im not gonna pay 10 bucks just so i can post my car on here price is obo.