PDA

View Full Version : Ticket for "No left turn between 3PM and 6PM"

PROŽ
11-20-2009, 09:11 AM
I saw the thread about passing a school bus got a lot of responses, so maybe ya'll can help me with this, lol.

Last week my girlfriend wanted to take me to some Thai Restaurant in Atlanta, to which I'd never been, so I volunteered to drive. I didn't know my way there, so she was directing me. I got off somewhere around Spring St., and she directed me down the various streets.

This is what caused the ticket:
We made a couple turns, and quickly came up somewhere around North Ave, and Peachtree St., where she told me to turn left. The turn was at the top of the hill, and I couldn't quite see if cars were coming the opposite way. While looking for oncoming traffic, I glanced at a sign that said "no turning between..." <--thats all I read. Mistake, yea I know. I told my gf it said no turning between something, and she said dont worry, just turn left(light was about to change, and Was at top of hill). I figured(yea mistake, i know) that the sign may have said no turning left during certain days etc. I dont frequent driving around atlanta, I live on the southside.

Anywhoo, after I turn I come up on a forked street, and dont know which way to go then I see an motorcycle cop standing pointing to the right. I thought he was helping me, lol, but when I drove past him (he told me pull to the side)

He told me I wasn't supposed to turn left between 3 and 6pm, and blah blah blah. Anyway, I check the ticket today, and its $198(City of ATL). And it says its a "Class 2 MISDEMEANOR"?

wtf is a Class 2 MISDEMEANOR? For accidently turning down the wrong road? lol. its not like i went down the opposite flow of traffic. I really do think they put that sign there soley to justify giving tickets for revenue purposes. wtf cant i turn down a two way street?!

I "violated" code "40-6-70", Disobeying a Traffic Control Device. I thought the green light was a traffic control device, not the sign that has two sentences on it, while im at the top of the hill trying to turn, and i dont live in atlanta, and hate driving in atlanta. *sigh....end rant.

help/advice please?:(

quickdodgeŽ
11-20-2009, 09:54 AM
He told me I wasn't supposed to turn left between 3 and 6pm, and blah blah blah. Anyway, I check the ticket today, and its $198(City of ATL). And it says its a "Class 2 MISDEMEANOR"?

wtf is a Class 2 MISDEMEANOR? For accidently turning down the wrong road? lol. its not like i went down the opposite flow of traffic. I really do think they put that sign there soley to justify giving tickets for revenue purposes. wtf cant i turn down a two way street?!

I "violated" code "40-6-70", Disobeying a Traffic Control Device. I thought the green light was a traffic control device, not the sign that has two sentences on it, while im at the top of the hill trying to turn, and i dont live in atlanta, and hate driving in atlanta. *sigh....end rant.

help/advice please?:(

This is a legit ticket and this law has been around for years, man. It is for traffic control. IIRC, you also can't make turns between 6am-9am. This is keep the flow of traffic on Peachtree St. moving. Also when the traffic is heavy on Peachtree and some numbnut tries to make a left at the last second and gets caught in the middle of the intersection because Peachtree is so backed up, it causes more back ups because there is a car blocking both sides. There are many streets in downtown that have that ordinance.

This should be a 3 point citation.

BUT! You may be ok. In August, I got a ticket in Dekalb County for disobeying traffic control device. I waited and went to court. The judge said that if you could pay the fine in its entirety THAT DAY, then he would reduce it to a city misdemeanor and the ticket would not appear on my MVR. So I did. Now there is NO record of me ever getting that ticket. That fine was $350.

Later, QD.

Glides
11-20-2009, 10:00 AM
Here's my advice.

Pay the fine, don't turn left where you aren't supposed too and read ALL of the sign.
If in doubt, don't listen to your GF ever again where driving things are concerned. Matter of fact, get her ass to pay the ticket since she said don't worry about it. If she bucks up, just say, "Don't worry about it, it's only $198 bucks"

The law is the law. They put them there for a reason. Trust me, there is no fat guy in a large corner office saying. "Hey, let's put a sign there AND a cop stationed around the corner simply to catch a few people a day making that illegal left hand turn so they can get some Thai food"

quickdodgeŽ
11-20-2009, 10:03 AM
This is a legit ticket and this law has been around for years, man. It is for traffic control. IIRC, you also can't make turns between 6am-9am. This is keep the flow of traffic on Peachtree St. moving. Also when the traffic is heavy on Peachtree and some numbnut tries to make a left at the last second and gets caught in the middle of the intersection because Peachtree is so backed up, it causes more back ups because there is a car blocking both sides. There are many streets in downtown that have that ordinance.

This should be a 3 point citation.

BUT! You may be ok. In August, I got a ticket in Dekalb County for disobeying traffic control device. I waited and went to court. The judge said that if you could pay the fine in its entirety THAT DAY, then he would reduce it to a city misdemeanor and the ticket would not appear on my MVR. So I did. Now there is NO record of me ever getting that ticket. That fine was $350.

Later, QD.

To add, and I'm not doing this to scare you, but a Class 2 Misdemeanor is an offense that can result in a punishment of up 6 months in jail and/or a $1,000 fine. Since you already know your fine is $198, then you have no worries on the jail part.

I would strongly advise that you wait til your court date and go down there as you may just save your points total from going up. And the chance that it won't even appear on your MVR. Later, QD.

PROŽ
11-20-2009, 10:15 AM
To add, and I'm not doing this to scare you, but a Class 2 Misdemeanor is an offense that can result in a punishment of up 6 months in jail and/or a $1,000 fine. Since you already know your fine is $198, then you have no worries on the jail part.

I would strongly advise that you wait til your court date and go down there as you may just save your points total from going up. And the chance that it won't even appear on your MVR. Later, QD.

I think I'll do that. Never been to traffic court before. So how does that work? What am I actually "disputing"? Am I just basically explaining that I don't live in Atlanta, and unknowingly made a wrong turn, and hope that he says he will reduce it, etc?

quickdodgeŽ
11-20-2009, 11:18 AM
I think I'll do that. Never been to traffic court before. So how does that work? What am I actually "disputing"? Am I just basically explaining that I don't live in Atlanta, and unknowingly made a wrong turn, and hope that he says he will reduce it, etc?

Well you can stand up and explain the scenario to the solicitor or the judge, but he/she may not buy it. If he/she sees that you're local, they may not buy that you've never been to Atlanta. But you can always state your case. Won't hurt to try. Just tell him/her what happened.

As far as the fine, I doubt it will be reduced. I got word a few weeks ago that courts have quit reducing fines quite a bit due to the economy. But as I stated in my initial post, he may drop the ticket to a city ordinance and it will be left off your record. But that's totally up to his discretion and if you can pay the whole fine ($198) right then. This is how I believe it will go. Later, QD.

PROŽ
11-20-2009, 11:34 AM
Well you can stand up and explain the scenario to the solicitor or the judge, but he/she may not buy it. If he/she sees that you're local, they may not buy that you've never been to Atlanta. But you can always state your case. Won't hurt to try. Just tell him/her what happened.

As far as the fine, I doubt it will be reduced. I got word a few weeks ago that courts have quit reducing fines quite a bit due to the economy. But as I stated in my initial post, he may drop the ticket to a city ordinance and it will be left off your record. But that's totally up to his discretion and if you can pay the whole fine ($198) right then. This is how I believe it will go. Later, QD.

Sounds good to me. I'll explain the scenario, acknowledge that I disobeyed a law, and because it was unknowingly done, ask if it at the very least he/she'd drop it off my record.

Alright, thanks again.

ctzfinest18
11-20-2009, 04:33 PM
bump cause QD is the go to man he can help u find ur way out of everything lol

1SICKLEX
11-20-2009, 10:40 PM
Fulton county is very lax still amazingly....say you are a college student and you were lost.....no points and drop in fine.....

if you have never had a ticket before, plead nolo and you should be good to go

I do agree with QD though that courts are buckling up to make more money as the city revenues are down.

HarietTubgrl
11-22-2009, 03:29 PM
i wouldn't plead nolo on something like this. the fine seems like it's part of the issue and you still have to pay it with nolo. i would just go and talk to the solicitor. tell them you don't want any points on your record and see if they can work something out with you. and if it's city of atlanta vs fulton co, you'll be able to get away with more from fulton.

PROŽ
12-01-2009, 07:43 PM
Thanks for all the advice...my court date is tomorrow afternoon. Any last minute advice?

Also, I've misplaced my ticket, can anyone tell me where the court house is?

SPOOLIN
12-01-2009, 07:58 PM
Did you know that you don't have to stop at stop signs with the white stripe around the border after 10pm?

:)

PROŽ
12-02-2009, 06:20 AM
Did you know that you don't have to stop at stop signs with the white stripe around the border after 10pm?

:)

that isn't last minute advice, lol :( :tongue1:

SPOOLIN
12-02-2009, 07:31 AM
i would go to the court date if its a misdemeanor.

Master Shake
12-02-2009, 08:50 AM
i'm gonna agree with QD and SPOOLIN on this. i would wait till court and explain your case. its worth a shot. i've done it a few times and its helped me get some thing reduced. just dress nicely in business attire. it helps.

its not like you're gonna go in there and be debating on how the stuff went down. more of, you go in, and probably sit with a lot of other people and wait to see the judge. once you see him, just tell him what happened, he will probably talk to you and ask a few questions. nothing too bad. not 100% sure how its gonna work there, but i'm going with how the city of rome does it here.

Dr.G35
12-03-2009, 12:39 AM
Thanks for all the advice...my court date is tomorrow afternoon. Any last minute advice?

Let's see, don't lie. Tell the truth as much as you can and don't over exaggerate it. The judge isn't a cop, so it's not like he really wants to incriminate you. He will just want to discuss your actions and the reason behind them. If you explain that you know you broke the law but unintentionally and be VERY respectful then it should go along smoothly. Best of luck!

PROŽ
12-03-2009, 11:22 AM
went to court, and pled nolo.

fine cut in half(walked out paying $148), and no points on my record. thanks agin :goodjob:

1SICKLEX
12-03-2009, 02:52 PM

fine cut in half(walked out paying $148), and no points on my record. thanks agin :goodjob:

Excellent :D...

quickdodgeŽ
12-03-2009, 04:01 PM

Very cool. Later, QD.

civicturbo10
12-04-2009, 08:23 PM

seems high, wonder how much a stop light violation is