PDA

View Full Version : General Chat BMW Help

Crazy Asian
11-19-2009, 01:32 PM
My mom's X3 Check Coolant Light came one and I was wondering do I need to use BMW Coolant or can I use Prestone 50/50 mix? And also could I just top the coolant off or should I drain it?

civic95
11-19-2009, 02:11 PM
How old is it? If it's less than 3 yrs old I would just fill it up (any antifreeze will do). Prestone 50/50 is just more convenient because it's already mixed. There is nothing special about BMW coolant. If it is low you probably have a bigger problem somewhere. Antifreeze should remain at the same level unless there is a leak. If the cooling system is already full it's likely a faulty coolant temperature sensor. Which should be easy to replace yourself.

chuck
11-19-2009, 02:12 PM
check the owners manual...the 50/50 mix should be safe to top it off.

stay away from the orange coolant, if it is in there i'd drain it even if it was full...the owners manual should have a service suggestion, maybe a coolant flush every 3-4 years. any idea how long that coolant has been in there??

JITB
11-19-2009, 02:16 PM
i once overheard a BMW salesman refer to his wifes X5...having a coolant leak issue.. not sure if it applies to the X3 also!

Crazy Asian
11-19-2009, 02:31 PM
yeah I hate working on the BMW. I'm afraid Ill screw something up. Im taking it to the dealership since they'll top it off for free.