PDA

View Full Version : XP SUCKS

jorgen
11-18-2009, 07:20 PM
And I like XP.
Page Faults like a bitch.
Clippin out at 100% and shit.
WHY?
Antivirus seems to be doing the page faults. Had Mcafee, went to AVG.
Chrome is guilty to.
My Disk Queue and Page files are maxed out.
I dont need a defrag.
WTF?

Mk3Jesse
11-21-2009, 06:40 PM
Could you give some more info other than you being angry?

green91
11-22-2009, 10:39 AM
90% of the time i run into this happening a lot, youve got memory or a mobo going bad

jorgen
11-27-2009, 08:14 AM
I was wrong, I did need a defrag.
That helped. But I swear I just did that two weeks ago...

The performance monitor I was watching, wasn't exactly page faults.
"Pages/Sec" which can include page faults, but more commonly includes other memory processes. I think it has something to do with the cache.

I got it under control enough to process sound, and thats the primary thing I use that computer for.

oneSLOWex
11-27-2009, 08:16 AM
Its better than Vista though LOL

David88vert
11-27-2009, 08:49 AM
W7 (64-bit) is much better than XP or Vista, but I still like XP for older hardware. My new desktop is W7-64 and is much better.

oneSLOWex
11-27-2009, 10:57 AM
W7 (64-bit) is much better than XP or Vista, but I still like XP for older hardware. My new desktop is W7-64 and is much better.

My dads computer has W7 on it and I love it. At first I was like...WTF this is Vista.....it just looks like it.....but it runs SO much better.

TheProfiteer
11-27-2009, 12:05 PM
I actually went back to Vista after using Win 7. I really didnt see much difference other than the redone GUI.

my vista x64 install has been running rock solid stable and smooth on my moms old school Athlon x2 for the last year and a half.

Only thing I have noticed Win7 does faster and better is large file transfers between harddrives and partitions.

jorgen
11-27-2009, 03:26 PM
I heard windows 7 doesn't have to restart as much when you apply updates.
Like they finally found a way to apply them without requiring a restart...
anyone?

SmackedInATL
11-27-2009, 07:56 PM
Check to make sure Windows is managing the size of your page file. That might help reduce some of your errors. Do you know how to do that?

jorgen
11-28-2009, 08:53 AM
actually, i got pissed off just turned the page file off.
the pages/sec counter is something else.
something like when a process calls something from cache.. or something.
the counter includes more than just page faults, but it does include them.

iam99x
12-04-2009, 09:26 AM
I actually went back to Vista after using Win 7. I really didnt see much difference other than the redone GUI.

my vista x64 install has been running rock solid stable and smooth on my moms old school Athlon x2 for the last year and a half.

Only thing I have noticed Win7 does faster and better is large file transfers between harddrives and partitions.

That's because Vista is a major resource hog. I can't imagine why you would go back to a slower OS.

actually, i got pissed off just turned the page file off.
the pages/sec counter is something else.
something like when a process calls something from cache.. or something.
the counter includes more than just page faults, but it does include them.

That's probably your problem. You can let Windows manage your page file (as SmackedInATL said), or you can set it to 2048 minimum and 2048 maximum that way you always have 2GB of your HD used for page filing. Try it out and see if it works.

Kaspersky > AMG

Jblizzard
12-11-2009, 08:56 AM

windows 7 has XP for free - just need to install it in virtual. gtg