PDA

View Full Version : General Chat 2003 WRX or 2005 Crown Victoria

Stormhammer
11-18-2009, 12:56 AM
2003 Subaru WRX
Was in an accident back in 2004 - had the front bumper, driver front fender, strut, hub, and headlight replaced. Needs an alignment. Brushed against a gas pump guard on passenger doors ( scraped to metal ) and has replacement doors. Bumped in the rear in like 05/06? So, scuff on the rear bumper. Only has 55k miles on the clock.

2005 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport
44k - original owner, AC control unit needs to be replaced.

Which would you get for a DD

-EnVus-
11-18-2009, 12:58 AM
i dont understand what your thread is about

Stormhammer
11-18-2009, 07:11 AM
for a DD

sprix!
11-18-2009, 09:47 AM
Is there even such a thing as a Crown Vic "sport"? Regardless, I voted WRX.

Nemesis
11-18-2009, 09:58 AM
Stock Bugeyes are a ticking time bomb. Expect to change the up pipe asap, which isnt an easy job. WRXs are nice but theres a lot of expensive things that can go wrong. Something you wouldnt really want in a DD.

-Former 2 year 04 WRX owner

ash7
11-18-2009, 10:46 AM
this thread is confusing - i don't understand....

...what is this... "Crown Victoria?"
-jonathan

Stormhammer
11-18-2009, 11:40 AM
Is there even such a thing as a Crown Vic "sport"? Regardless, I voted WRX.

Yes. They come with bucket seats, center console, floor shift,short/front long arm front independent suspension and a rear Watt's linkage multilink rear with an inverted mono tube strut/suspension assembly and air cushioned springs. Also quicker acceleration, dual exhaust, factory H-pipe = more HP overall. Big disc brakes - also the console shifter has a button that you push that will immediately downshift the car ( not an O/D button ).

Hondarider33
11-18-2009, 11:42 AM
Yes. They come with bucket seats, center console, floor shift,short/front long arm front independent suspension and a rear Watt's linkage multilink rear with an inverted mono tube strut/suspension assembly and air cushioned springs. Also quicker acceleration, dual exhaust, factory H-pipe = more HP overall. Big disc brakes - also the console shifter has a button that you push that will immediately downshift the car ( not an O/D button ).

is it also a police interceptor?

HypnoToad
11-18-2009, 11:47 AM
crown vic

Stormhammer
11-18-2009, 11:52 AM
is it also a police interceptor?

Nah - the only difference, aside from the ECU, is the air intake on a P71 is the same as a Mercury Marauder, performance wise.

http://tinyurl.com/ykkvvpc

^^ an LX Sport for reference.

Andr3w
11-18-2009, 12:08 PM
WRX no doubt

87 Turbo II
11-18-2009, 12:59 PM
That WRX seems to have been abused for such a low mileage car. I wouldn't buy from someone who has had to replace so many body panels.

Hondarider33
11-18-2009, 01:01 PM
id still try to find a police interceptor. a old friend of mine has one, like a 90 something model...we were at 130 on a bridge without the pedal to the floor :ninja:

Stormhammer
11-18-2009, 01:28 PM
id still try to find a police interceptor. a old friend of mine has one, like a 90 something model...we were at 130 on a bridge without the pedal to the floor :ninja:

I don't like column shift much :lmfao:

UpSideDownDesi
11-18-2009, 01:48 PM
WRX, check Tranny for grinds 1 to 2nd to 3rd. Test drive it like u stole it minus launching it. Ask for records, if motor is healthy it will last you long time. After u get it do a full tune up to your satisfaction.

I would stay away from Vic.

AllTheDude
11-18-2009, 01:51 PM
That Vic looks pretty comfy...

Nemesis
11-18-2009, 02:25 PM
WRX, check Tranny for grinds 1 to 2nd to 3rd. Test drive it like u stole it minus launching it. Ask for records, if motor is healthy it will last you long time. After u get it do a full tune up to your satisfaction.

I would stay away from Vic.

Why would you stay away from the Vic? Because its a 4 door? Because its a Ford? Or did you mean Mike Vic? Im sure the OP would like to hear reasoning, other than stay away from it.

A stock WRX tranny pre 06 will ALWAYS have a problem getting into first from a small roll. They are extremely weak trannies by nature.

Here is why I dont think this question is really a good question for the generic IA mass population.

1. You're really comparing two different cars on a forum that is generally import biased no matter what the comparison.

2. Every fucking boy racer out there will see WRX and think OMFGOMFG I WANTS ONE EVEN THOUGH ITS BUSTED TO FUCKING HELL CUZ ITS A WRX YO. ID TOTALLY BUY A BIG WING FOR IT

3. People have no clue outside their small knowledgebase of cars they have owned or will consider owning. Its very one sided and ignorant.

FOR A DAILY DRIVER like the OP has asked.

Cost to repair - The vic will be cheaper and easier if anything should go wrong.
Cost to maintain- Boosted vehicles even from the factory wear and tear faster than NA vehicles
Cost to drive- The Vic will be cheaper on insurance

HypnoToad
11-18-2009, 02:48 PM
i think a black crown vic looks good,and the 4.6 is not a bad motor.....i trust it more than a subaru engine.

and im a chevy guy,lol

Stormhammer
11-18-2009, 03:12 PM
i think a black crown vic looks good,and the 4.6 is not a bad motor.....i trust it more than a subaru engine.

and im a chevy guy,lol

this made me lol

UpSideDownDesi
11-18-2009, 03:50 PM
Is stated WRX, if he wants something he wants to own and enjoy driving it.

02 WRX trannies were the weakest, gears got little beefed up in 03+. Almost to RA specs, but not same gearing as RA. If you don't get red light launch happy, then the 5spd will last. Just don't rev and dump. Pre 06 5spds can take launches too if launched properly, give they are still weak.

WRX are great DD, just stay away from goin mod crazy that's where start running in greater wear n tear.

So is crown vic. I am sure if taken care of if will be a great car also, but he asked of our opinion so i suggested WRX. Nothing against Crown Vic or it being a ford.

quickdodgeŽ
11-18-2009, 04:35 PM
Crown Victoria for sure. Why not? Too much crap to worry about on a Subaru that can break and be more costly to keep running. Later, QD.

Arm&hammer
11-18-2009, 04:45 PM
crown vic would make a way better dd.

okra1981
11-18-2009, 10:53 PM
I voted for the WRX before reading about how it had been trashed. It sounds like the previous owner really neglected it and who knows what else isn't going to show up on the Carfax. A Crown Vic really is a good car, they last forever and still run hard, think about how badly cops abuse them and then they still run. My girl's dad bought one with 250,000 miles and it's his good car, it's the only car he'll take out of town. Plus, you can take it anywhere and carry anything, it's so big and comfy.

BlkCD5
11-18-2009, 11:28 PM
Crown vic

redfire6i
11-19-2009, 07:36 PM
I say Crown Vic, even though its HUGE! They are really comfortable, cheap to fix, and have decent power.

SouthrnStyle
11-19-2009, 08:07 PM
Vic

1) Everything stated above

2) Because it will be a good DD that you WILL NOT want to mod and waste money on!

redneckhatch
11-24-2009, 08:46 PM
wrx

2turbo4u
11-25-2009, 11:32 AM
get the floatmaster aka Crown Vic. Throw an air intake flowmasters and then your done. Get the air bags tuned to be lowered, tokico shocks, crossed drilled brakes. I have done all that to my Town Car back in 97 and it road and handled like a Lexus.

JITB
11-25-2009, 12:39 PM
for waht u want the crown vic... if you want something fun and reliable u need better choices... dont think u can have both with your selections. But the vic can bemade into a quick hwy runner.

cm7k24
11-30-2009, 08:50 AM
crown vic, they get surprisingly good gas millage,
comfy as hell. cheap as anything to fix.

IndianStig
11-30-2009, 10:45 AM
I'd get the WRX, nothing is more important then driving pleasure.

AV8ter
11-30-2009, 10:50 AM
I would go crown vic all day bro. Think about the long term. Thing will last for YEARS. Gas really isnt bad at all. It will take regular octane instead of premium for the wrx so the annual fuel cost might be cheaper on the vic believe it or not. LX is a great find.

Either car has a big following online.

Vic seems like the better deal and it is clean as fawk.

Can always T5 swap it down the road so you can be slamming gears.

I'd get the VIC!