PDA

View Full Version : Knock sensor/ IAT

SLo_MKIII
11-17-2009, 10:47 PM
ok so i was putting a turbo kit on a 2000 si (b16a2) today and broke what i believe is the knock sensor and also the piping for the turbo didnt come with the hole for the IAT sensor so im wondering would that cause bogging while driving and a fluctuating / high idle?

Any help would be great,

thanks

DB4LYFE ™
11-17-2009, 10:50 PM
The knock sensor will throw the computer into limp mode... knock sensors r not CHEAP! G/L

~DB4LYFE

slostang
11-17-2009, 10:53 PM
The knock sensor will throw the computer into limp mode... knock sensors r not CHEAP! G/L

~DB4LYFE

yep. limp mode and about $90 for a new one.

tubby
11-17-2009, 11:07 PM
my problem right now, get ur comp chiped, scotty can dleet the knocks for 85. and if u buy a sensor than dont buy the cheep one get the oem i have broken a few just by engin vib.

collins
11-17-2009, 11:16 PM
my problem right now, get ur comp chiped, scotty can dleet the knocks for 85. and if u buy a sensor than dont buy the cheep one get the oem i have broken a few just by engin vib. i would NOT "delete" your knock sensor. its your protection device against detonation.

SLo_MKIII
11-17-2009, 11:17 PM

~DB4LYFE

limp mode means it wont be past 3k right?

yep. limp mode and about $90 for a new one.
price isnt really a concern just need it running right...

my problem right now, get ur comp chiped, scotty can dleet the knocks for 85. and if u buy a sensor than dont buy the cheep one get the oem i have broken a few just by engin vib.

got a chipped and socketed p28

DB4LYFE ™
11-17-2009, 11:18 PM
yea! in some cases..

~DB4LYFE

SLo_MKIII
11-17-2009, 11:20 PM
yea! in some cases..

~DB4LYFE
ok cause it hits like 3k and almost bounces/bogs of the limiter it seems like...

DB4LYFE ™
11-17-2009, 11:29 PM
ok cause it hits like 3k and almost bounces/bogs of the limiter it seems like...

yea......

~DB4LYFE

SLo_MKIII
11-18-2009, 09:43 AM
anyone have any input on the IAT?

RBS
11-18-2009, 11:44 AM
i vote IAT. i dont think you can even get to the knock sensor with just intercooler piping, let alone break it

SLo_MKIII
11-18-2009, 02:27 PM
i vote IAT. i dont think you can even get to the knock sensor with just intercooler piping, let alone break it

Installed... Iat sensor in piping still got a flucuating idle so im thinkin i missed a vacuum line somewhere

RBS
11-18-2009, 02:35 PM
Installed... Iat sensor in piping still got a flucuating idle so im thinkin i missed a vacuum line somewhere

odds are

SLo_MKIII
11-18-2009, 03:11 PM

when i adjust the idle screw it shows no improvement either way i turn it. Checked all vacuum lines they seem to be ok im sooooo lost

scttydb411
11-18-2009, 04:06 PM
i would NOT "delete" your knock sensor. its your protection device against detonation.

it"ll be ok as long as it's chipped/tuned. honda knock sensors detect a lot of false knock anyway. there are plenty of them out there w/o knock sensors.

are there aftermarket inj or the stock ones installed? any cel? how many and what are they?

TommyD1919
11-21-2009, 05:56 PM
got a chipped and socketed p28[/QUOTE]

A P28 doesn't look for a knock sensor anyway... I can't remember if it uses the IAT sensor or not but if it does then the IAT needs to be in place because it works directly with your fuel and timing maps. I would check your map sensor and fuel pressure.. Also what is the P28 tuned for?

scttydb411
11-22-2009, 02:46 PM
got a chipped and socketed p28

A P28 doesn't look for a knock sensor anyway... I can't remember if it uses the IAT sensor or not but if it does then the IAT needs to be in place because it works directly with your fuel and timing maps. I would check your map sensor and fuel pressure.. Also what is the P28 tuned for?[/QUOTE]

if the knock is enabled on a chipped p28 it'll throw the cel right away since it doesn't have the circuitry for knock.

they do have iat and you are correct that it needs to be plumbed into the intake or intake tube so the enrichment tables will do their job as nec.

TommyD1919
11-22-2009, 02:56 PM
I've seen people put the IAT sensor on the intake/filter side of the turbo. As Scotty (?) said it needs to be in the actually charge tube after the intercooler or in the intake manifold itself, this way it reads actual Air temp going into the engine not cool air going into the turbo. On alot of fords the IAT is made into the Mass Air Sensor, we would add an actual sensor as stated above so we could tune properly.

scttydb411
11-22-2009, 11:09 PM
yep...meant charge tube not actual intake tube of turbo. i preferr the intake runner or plenum personally if you have that option.