PDA

View Full Version : Outdoors Bought an AR15

TheSnail
11-16-2009, 01:43 PM
Decided to buy an AR15 out of the blue on Saturday. Out of all the guns Ive shot and owned, I have never handled an ar15 so I dont know shit about them. When I say I dont know shit about them, I mean I dont know how to even cock one back. Im more of an AK guy, and normally hunt with my serbian ak. While at the gun shop, I realized though I was born in Serbia, Im like a fake imitation Serbian since I moved to the states when I was 3. In the confusion of feeling alienated from both countries I figured I needed to buy an "American" assult rifle. So I figured it does not get more American then an AR15. They had several different types and makes of ar15s, though I didnt know shit about them I was 80% sure that Colt invented the gun, and since there was one Colt available I bought that one. Either way, Im gonna use this as my new hunting/paratrooping gun like the ak. When I say hunting/paratrooping, I mean that I picked up hunting about 3years ago, Though since I have no friends that hunt, after 100s of hours of deer hunting and not even seeing a single deer, I gave up sitting in place. So my new hunting technique is paratrooping, which Im not sure what exactly it means but sounds pretty cool. Basically I am a combination of Bear Grylls and a big ass kid playing GI-Joes with real guns in the woods. Basically I just get the basic survival gear, and assault rifle and a side arm, Then wander off into the woods for 10-20miles pretending to be on a mission talking with my imaginary soldiers. Then if I happen to see something in my aimless wandering and if the animal is in season, then I shoot it. I have a blast pretending to be a jungle gorilla of some sort and it is great exercise.

Anyway, enough with my blabbering, heres the new gun. Picked it up for $1299 though after taxes it was $1580, Not sure why the taxes are so fucking much. I should check the receipt, thought it was .06% not sure where the extra $300 came from.

PS: Its a Colt LE6920 (which I believe is a m4a3, correct me if im wrong)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y261/thesnail/IMG_5549.jpg?t=1258399463

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y261/thesnail/IMG_5552.jpg?t=1258399513

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y261/thesnail/IMG_5553.jpg?t=1258399550

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y261/thesnail/IMG_5555.jpg?t=1258399828

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y261/thesnail/IMG_5556.jpg?t=1258399886

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y261/thesnail/IMG_5557.jpg?t=1258399927

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y261/thesnail/IMG_5558.jpg?t=1258399964

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y261/thesnail/IMG_5559.jpg?t=1258399999

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y261/thesnail/IMG_5560.jpg?t=1258400038

patrick4588
11-16-2009, 02:25 PM
lirl

TheSnail
11-16-2009, 02:43 PM
Just checked the receipt. It was 1499+tax. The gun was tagged 1299, not sure why they charged me 1499 for it. Oh well.

Truegiant
11-16-2009, 02:49 PM
Good first AR. HORRIBLE PRICE. Get some training and you will enjoy it more. Going commando while randomly walking through the woods is fun; however, not practical or legal in some areas. Anywho.. Enjoy. Let us know if you plan on upgrading it .Some of us have all kinds of goodies laying around for them. Magazines, sights, rails, etc..

SiRed94
11-16-2009, 05:24 PM
Well, the fun now begins. You start off with one, modify the hell out of it, get bored, buy another one, do the same and end up with an arsenal. Good luck G.I. Joe.

81911SC
11-16-2009, 05:42 PM
Good first AR. HORRIBLE PRICE.Dead on. Lol
Nice gun though.

Danny
11-16-2009, 06:00 PM
Ya go back and get that refund down to the price it was tagged (even though thats still not that great of a price). The 6920 is thought to be the best by alot of the big dawgs that know thier shit.

Wanna buy some pmags? (shamless plug lol)

Truegiant
11-16-2009, 06:56 PM
Wanna buy some pmags? (shamless plug lol)

:rolleyes:

LOL..

Let me know if you come across a good deal on some lowers. I havent bought from my guys in so long i am at the bottom of the list. I picked up 5 lower parts kits today and want to put some together to scrounge some cash for my next project.

TheSnail
11-16-2009, 07:37 PM
Yeah I just swung by the gun shop and showed them the receipt. They said they rang me up for the wrong model (6940 or something like that) and gave me back $200. So it cost me $1299 now which seems like a pretty fair price. PS: Do you guys know if I should break in the barrel. Im seeing 50/50 on people saying yes and no. If so, what method do yall recomend?

Cool Cat Racing
11-16-2009, 08:16 PM
I've been told to break them in from my friend who owns the gun store I bought it at. He said to just shoot half a mag, break down and clean then repeat. I did that through 2 mags and it shoots perfectly and consistently. My next piece is an Eotech and FTS magnifier. I got a DPMS and a good bit of accessories.

Danny
11-16-2009, 08:48 PM
Break in. Throw it in the mud, fire couple hundred rounds, rise with garden hose, oil, repeat. Isnt that how your supposed to break in all guns? :D

Cool Cat Racing
11-16-2009, 08:51 PM
Break in. Throw it in the mud, fire couple hundred rounds, rise with garden hose, oil, repeat. Isnt that how your supposed to break in all guns? :D

My sig has just about been through that. lol

Quickfeet
11-16-2009, 11:06 PM
You wouldn't have to aim at an animal with that just spray em lol. Nice guns.

patrick4588
11-16-2009, 11:39 PM
You wouldn't have to aim at an animal with that just spray em lol. Nice guns.
wow

Cool Cat Racing
11-16-2009, 11:42 PM
wow

Yea, I thought the same thing. I guess he thinks they're full auto.

NewGen33
11-16-2009, 11:53 PM
Nice gun I want one real bad or a MP5...Someone post up a buying guns for newbies link.

Quickfeet
11-16-2009, 11:58 PM
Yea, I thought the same thing. I guess he thinks they're full auto.

No I don' think they are full auto, but you can shave down the firing pin and make them full auto.:goodjob:

SiRed94
11-17-2009, 01:11 AM
No I don' think they are full auto, but you can shave down the firing pin and make them full auto.:goodjob:

wow

Truegiant
11-17-2009, 11:37 AM

And now you should be banned from making any comments in the hunting/outdoor forums. You sir are an idiot!

mugenK20z1
11-17-2009, 12:27 PM
good choice....i rather have the 6920 than the 6940 cuz i hate the flip up iron sights . and the 6920 look similar to the military issued m4.

Cool Cat Racing
11-17-2009, 11:15 PM
Nice gun I want one real bad or a MP5...Someone post up a buying guns for newbies link.

MP5's are nice and very expensive. You can buy quite a few other full autos for less. I have a soft spot in my heart for an MP5 and have been on the lookout for one for years but I can't ever see one for under $4k when I actually have the funds for it.

VTECking
11-18-2009, 12:10 AM
I was 80% sure that Colt invented the gun, and since there was one Colt available I bought that one.
1. ArmaLite was the company that came up with the AR-15 platform and colt just bought out the rites so they could produce it.

2. Since you are inexperienced w/AR's you shold've posted before you bought because we probably would have steered you towards a Rock River, Bushmaster, or Stag Arms AR-15 instead of letting you get the Colt, dont get me wrong, I'd love to have a Colt AR, but your paying for the name, not the rifle. Those 3 arms manufacturers make as good if not a better rifle that Colt does. Shit for $1500 you might have been able to buy a piston operated AR. Just my :2cents:.

VTECking
11-18-2009, 12:16 AM
Break in. Throw it in the mud, fire couple hundred rounds, rise with garden hose, oil, repeat. Isnt that how your supposed to break in all guns? :D These words have just been sig'd. lol

Cool Cat Racing
11-18-2009, 01:18 AM
1. ArmaLite was the company that came up with the AR-15 platform and colt just bought out the rites so they could produce it.

2. Since you are inexperienced w/AR's you shold've posted before you bought because we probably would have steered you towards a Rock River, Bushmaster, or Stag Arms AR-15 instead of letting you get the Colt, dont get me wrong, I'd love to have a Colt AR, but your paying for the name, not the rifle. Those 3 arms manufacturers make as good if not a better rifle that Colt does. Shit for $1500 you might have been able to buy a piston operated AR. Just my :2cents:.

Actually there's a few pistons for under a grand now. Kinda stripped but out there. And for that price it leaves plenty of room for upgrades. If he'd have looked there's a great deal on a nice AR right here in the FS section, would have saved enough to buy a nice Eotech.

WickedIXMR
11-18-2009, 01:20 PM
Actually there's a few pistons for under a grand now. Kinda stripped but out there. And for that price it leaves plenty of room for upgrades. If he'd have looked there's a great deal on a nice AR right here in the FS section, would have saved enough to buy a nice Eotech.
What's the advantage of having a piston instead of a gas gun? I remember seeing it on tv but I forgot what advantage it had. IIRC I think it wouldn't heat up as much or jam. Also what would you have to do to convert to a piston? I have a RRA AR and just seeing if that was possible. Sorry for all the questions.

TheSnail
11-18-2009, 01:23 PM
Went hunting/paratrooping for deer yesterday. One ranoff into the woods right as I was pulling up to the wma. Walked around for 6hrs and didnt see a single stupid deer. I swear if I get one even if it weighs 20lbs, Im gonna have it gold plated. That was with the ak though. Im eager to go hunting with the ar, though I have to find time to break it in and sight it in first. Im gonna go with my friend next week to an out door range. With yall talking about mp5s, my friend has one though his is a class 3 full auto which he picked up for 15k or something like that. His is silenced aswell. We'll be shooting that aswell. Its the short mp5 with the vertical handle at the end, not the longer kind. Not sure what model mp5 that makes it. Either way we're gonna go next week to the range in the sticks off of 85, if anyone wants to join. The range rules say no full auto but there is no one there so it doesnt matter. Last time we went, we stopped by the thrift store and picked up a dozen 1970/80 creepy porcilin dolls which we completely destroyed at the range. Was a blast.

Truegiant
11-18-2009, 02:33 PM
The range rules say no full auto but there is no one there so it doesnt matter. Last time we went, we stopped by the thrift store and picked up a dozen 1970/80 creepy porcilin dolls which we completely destroyed at the range. Was a blast.

Please let us know which range you go to so we can make sure we dont go there.

Danny
11-18-2009, 03:25 PM
What's the advantage of having a piston instead of a gas gun? I remember seeing it on tv but I forgot what advantage it had. IIRC I think it wouldn't heat up as much or jam. Also what would you have to do to convert to a piston? I have a RRA AR and just seeing if that was possible. Sorry for all the questions.

Puts all the heat, grime and residue out in the front of the gun instead of the reciver. Also puts more weight out front. Whether or not these are true advantages or not seems to be up in the air still.

Cool Cat Racing
11-18-2009, 11:29 PM

You can get a conversion kit or you can get a full upper already assembled. I've thrown the idea around but the benefits don't outweigh the drawbacks for me. For 99.9% of the people shooting with an AR you'll never see the benefits enough to make it worth buying a new upper. If you're buying a new AR then a good piston setup will make cleaning it much easier but as Danny said, it does put a bit more weight on the end. Depending on how you're shooting it this may or may not be an issue. The whole reason they didn't use a piston to begin with was full auto stability/cyclic rate and weight. For the civilian rifles thats not as big of a deal but for me its not worth the cost to buy another one.

patrick4588
11-19-2009, 01:33 AM
well for ppl like me who only have a lower and are shopping for an upper, getting a piston upper is a possibility.

J-ROCK
11-20-2009, 02:34 AM
And now you should be banned from making any comments in the hunting/outdoor forums. You sir are an idiot!

i think he was being sarcastic! lol i actually got a good laugh out of that

SiRed94
11-20-2009, 04:02 PM
i think he was being sarcastic! lol i actually got a good laugh out of that

No... I really don't think he was....