PDA

View Full Version : Wow this could have been a really bad day...

Mad Mike
11-14-2009, 12:23 PM
Wow my day went to shit...

Friend came up from Oakwood on his R1 to ride in the mountains with me this morning. He had no issues on the trip up. When he got here we tighten his chain just a little bit. We've done it many many times with no problems. We left my house and were heading to Helen when I noticed he wasn't behind me. I turned around real fast and hauled ass back and he was standing next to his bike on the side of the road. I stopped and asked what happened and he said his back tire locked up for a sec. and he almost went down.

We took a look at his rear tire and the bolts that hold the brake disk on were hitting the brake caliber. We thought it was the chain adjustment was loose so we readjusted it and test drove it and it was still hitting but I could see the entire wheel wabaling from side to side. He pulled over and I called a friend with a truck to pick the bike up.

We pulled it apart and this is what we found...:eek:
Right side bearing completely destroyed
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o288/cordiaturboowner/bikes/1114091128a.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o288/cordiaturboowner/bikes/1114091128b.jpg

dang its a nice bike
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o288/cordiaturboowner/bikes/1114091129a.jpg
Parts wont be in till Tuesday so I let him ride my GSX-R home to Oakwood.

I'm just glad it didn't completely seize and he didn't go down.

5speed
11-14-2009, 12:50 PM
Glad to hear he didn't go down, shit gets nasty on the road. That bearing is DEAD, I think I would check that more often after something like that.

southside
11-14-2009, 12:50 PM
Yea hes pretty lucky my friends brake line got cutted some how and shot brake fluid all over his tire.But he was pulling into the driveway so he was straight,Itold him he was lucky and he looked at me and said "why?".Then after explaining he thought about it and was like Damn.Good thing yall didnt hit the mountains and it happend.

5speed
11-14-2009, 12:54 PM
Yea hes pretty lucky my friends brake line got cutted some how and shot brake fluid all over his tire.But he was pulling into the driveway so he was straight,Itold him he was lucky and he looked at me and said "why?".Then after explaining he thought about it and was like Damn.Good thing yall didnt hit the mountains and it happend.
Yeah he was lucky, same thing happened to a friend of mine while he was hauling ass through some back roads and his tires were oiled. He wobbled and ran straight into a telephone pole. His scalp was pulled back and had to have staples. So yeah, your friend was very lucky.:goodjob:

FasTech
11-14-2009, 12:56 PM
Yeah, thats really good he didn't go down.

southside
11-14-2009, 12:58 PM
Yeah he was lucky, same thing happened to a friend of mine while he was hauling ass through some back roads and his tires were oiled. He wobbled and ran straight into a telephone pole. His scalp was pulled back and had to have staples. So yeah, your friend was very lucky.:goodjob:Wow yea most of the time people dont check their bikes, just ride them.

5speed
11-14-2009, 01:10 PM
When I had my Honda I checked things all the time. After being at the track for the past 4 years and getting to know a lot more about bikes and the things that just happen I don't take a chance.

HarietTubgrl
11-14-2009, 01:17 PM
Yeah he was lucky, same thing happened to a friend of mine while he was hauling ass through some back roads and his tires were oiled. He wobbled and ran straight into a telephone pole. His scalp was pulled back and had to have staples. So yeah, your friend was very lucky.:goodjob:
:eek::eek::eek:

these are the kinds of things that freak me out about bikes.. just too easy for something to go horribly wrong

5speed
11-14-2009, 01:26 PM

these are the kinds of things that freak me out about bikes.. just too easy for something to go horribly wrong
If you check and maintain your bike then it reduces the chances dramatically but anything can happen anytime. I don't ever want to ride on the road again either way. The track is much more fun anyways, after going fast all day then going on the street, its just not fun anymore nor safe.

southside
11-14-2009, 01:27 PM

these are the kinds of things that freak me out about bikes.. just too easy for something to go horribly wrongSame shit with cars one guy on here had a blowout and crashed into median.I just say everything happens for a reason.

Mad Mike
11-14-2009, 02:21 PM
Every time I ride ether of my bikes I go over the entire bike and check to make sure everything is good.

This was just weird because he rode it yesterday all day and then about 30miles to my house this morning with no problems. I think the bearing was bad before we tightened the chain because the axle nut was kinda loose. He tightened the chain then the axle nut and everything was fine until he used his rear brake. I'm really glad it decided to fail before we hit the mountains.

speedminded
11-14-2009, 02:24 PM
Wow my day went to shit...

Friend came up from Oakwood on his R1 to ride in the mountains with me this morning. He had no issues on the trip up. When he got here we tighten his chain just a little bit. We've done it many many times with no problems. We left my house and were heading to Helen when I noticed he wasn't behind me. I turned around real fast and hauled ass back and he was standing next to his bike on the side of the road. I stopped and asked what happened and he said his back tire locked up for a sec. and he almost went down.

We took a look at his rear tire and the ribbets that hold the brake disk on were hitting the brake caliber. We thought it was the chain adjustment was loose so we readjusted it and test drove it and it was still hitting but I could see the entire wheel wabaling from side to side. He pulled over and I called a friend with a truck to pick the bike up. I just lol'd.

http://www.jonco48.com/blog/CaneToad2_20_28Medium_29.jpg

5speed
11-14-2009, 02:32 PM
Hahaha Reps

RBS
11-14-2009, 08:22 PM
lol

DB4LYFE ™
11-15-2009, 12:54 AM
Glade hes ok.

~DB4LYFE