PDA

View Full Version : Racers/Drivers! Plans For Next Season.

Elbow
11-14-2009, 06:56 AM
What are your plans for next season? Any new cars or drivers coming in?

I am about to get an IT car, building a race car cost too much, I can spend the money I would spend building it racing it and having much more fun.

So I plan to run some ECR, NASA, and SCCA Pro IT (depending on what I get)

LazE1
11-14-2009, 07:26 PM
I plan to run the full NASA-SE season in my $4000 E36

Maybe a PBOC race @ Barber, and a trip to VIR if things work out

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t204/laze1one/NASA-RA%20Dec%202009/JohnEvansPoster.jpg

JJSPEC Racing
11-14-2009, 07:38 PM
Improvements to the Single Cam Teg, hope to run some southeastern events if funds allow. Got to put some saftey equipment in it so I can comply with rules and of course be safer!

EJ25RUN
11-14-2009, 08:00 PM
Improvements to the Single Cam Teg, hope to run some southeastern events if funds allow. Got to put some saftey equipment in it so I can comply with rules and of course be safer!

:goodjob:

Elbow
11-14-2009, 09:54 PM
I plan to run the full NASA-SE season in my $4000 E36

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t204/laze1one/RA%20Aug%202009/IMG_3263.jpg

Maybe a PBOC race @ Barber, and a trip to VIR if things work out

Sweet, seen that car before. :goodjob:

-S Double C-
11-14-2009, 11:50 PM

hopefully we all will bring a good strong showdown this year there will be 4-5 new sfwd's just from columbus entering this year.

JJSPEC Racing
11-14-2009, 11:55 PM
hopefully we all will bring a good strong showdown this year there will be 4-5 new sfwd's just from columbus entering this year.

2010 The Rise of the Machine-err Sport Compact Racing! This is going to be something good. The economy crapped out and racing had to take a back seat to the responsibilities of life. I hope that there will be a resurgence this upcoming year!

nsany(atl)
11-15-2009, 08:52 AM
Spec Miata is so cheap. My friend won a race with a 8000 car

Elbow
11-15-2009, 09:12 AM
Actually it's one of the most expensive classes to run top of the field all season lol.

What region does he race in?

I know it can be done cheap, but a pro built SM can cost over 20k.

dazn
11-15-2009, 09:35 AM
Actually it's one of the most expensive classes to run top of the field all season lol.

What region does he race in?

I know it can be done cheap, but a pro built SM can cost over 20k.

a nicely done SM is almost 40K.
you can still build a 1.6 for under 10k. but a good motor will set you back 7k.
the price for running SM has gone way up since its inception but it is still cheaper than alot of the other classes. look at DSR, FA, FC, GT, BP, those classes cost way more for one race than most spec miata racers spend all season. especially the sports racer guys. 2 or 3 15K motors a weekend for a 125K car.

TireBoi
11-15-2009, 10:42 AM
planning on running NASA TT next season either TTB or TTA. Some pro solo also.

matthewAPM
11-15-2009, 02:05 PM
NASA TT as well as all east coast Redline TA event and the big one in cali...if I have funding....

Elbow
11-15-2009, 08:05 PM
the price for running SM has gone way up since its inception but it is still cheaper than alot of the other classes. look at DSR, FA, FC, GT, BP, those classes cost way more for one race than most spec miata racers spend all season. especially the sports racer guys. 2 or 3 15K motors a weekend for a 125K car.

Yeah I've never even considered those classes haha. Wayyyyy out of my budget, especially for club racing.

SPOOLIN
11-15-2009, 10:58 PM
I've already started my upgrades and plans. Looks like 2010 will be a good year.

jnv255
11-16-2009, 12:16 AM
more weight coming off

LazE1
11-17-2009, 06:40 AM
try NASA Spec E30,,,,good racing with big fields

Elbow
11-17-2009, 06:53 AM

He's a LOT higher than Spec Miata, he's a mechanic for some big series cars. :goodjob:

HOWEVER, Spec E30 is the shit. It is very cheap to run, the spec mods are very cheap to buy and you're right the fields are huge.

Big Baller
11-17-2009, 11:01 AM

I like Spec Miata I just find the speeds to be boring. Its still a pretty cheap class especially when you consider that the motor in my STI cost about the same as a pro built SM car

dazn
11-17-2009, 11:27 AM

Spec e30 is a fun class too. similar to SM. eventually if NASA does it right, it will become just like SM, but thats not always a good thing. there are a lot of problems with the SM class as far as parity and technical regulations.

and Matt, yea, the straightaway speeds are a bit slow, but the cornering and finding the absolute limits is what the class is all about(obviously you know all this stuff). as far as SCCA goes, its an awesome class just because of the turnout and the talent involved. its not easy to win a national race. there are a lot of pro guys that still run SM just to fine tune skills and get endurance. Herr, Pobst, Espenlaub and many others can be found pounding out laps at the 13 hour in SM.

and good god, who the hell is building your motors that makes it cost 35K? Cosworth?

Big Baller
11-17-2009, 11:31 AM
and good god, who the hell is building your motors that makes it cost 35K? Cosworth?

I meant more like 20K but yeah it gets expensive really fast

Elbow
11-17-2009, 11:33 AM
Yeah a 35k motor? LOL no thanks.

SM IMO makes a better driver, I love driving a Miata on track, momentum type race cars are awesome, it takes skill to drive a slow car fast and keep up momentum. Especially when there are tons of other cars surrounding you at the same speed. You can't rely on power to pass.

B18c1Turboed
11-17-2009, 11:38 AM

Hopefully u gonna finsih the car for next year. We ahve 3 cars being built right now also.So thats 9 cars coming out too play...

SPOOLIN
11-17-2009, 03:55 PM
Hopefully u gonna finsih the car for next year. We ahve 3 cars being built right now also.So thats 9 cars coming out too play...

well....

if this is all true, and not shit talk, then theres no excuse to not have full fields at the IFO at commerce and all of the other races at MMP, SDR, Commerce, Steele, and wherever one should become available!

We should be bringing 1 if not 2 more to the races next year as well, don't know what classes they will run though.

hondalover00
11-17-2009, 05:01 PM
i am down for next year...during the winter im gonna finish my car ..we gotta try and bring columbus back on the map

-S Double C-
11-17-2009, 05:05 PM

my car is done now, waiting on greg at goautoworks to finish my i/c piping and tune it im gonna max out my turbo around 600ish though, so after a few passes on that setup im gonna upgrade my fuel system and get a 6265 or t3t67ho

B18c1Turboed
11-17-2009, 05:09 PM
well....

if this is all true, and not shit talk, .

Well you know my car is done, Greg is Done just needs tune. Then Julio is almost done also.

B18c1Turboed
11-17-2009, 05:10 PM
my car is done now, waiting on greg at goautoworks to finish my i/c piping and tune it im gonna max out my turbo around 600ish though, so after a few passes on that setup im gonna upgrade my fuel system and get a 6265 or t3t67ho

I got my aeromotive pump for sale. I bought a new Weldon pump..

hondalover00
11-17-2009, 05:12 PM
2010 WILL BE BIGGER AND BETTER

down_shift
11-17-2009, 06:41 PM
Drifting isn't racing but Im going to continue hitting everything local, increase regional attendance especially at competitions. Maybe cage it and get some power. Stock isnt cutting it anymore.

-S Double C-
11-17-2009, 11:08 PM
Well you know my car is done, Greg is Done just needs tune. Then Julio is almost done also.

Well now theres possibly bad news, my oil pan was leaking like a mother fucker, it was bent and i didnt realize it where it seals on the block, i took it off and seen some small metal flakes/specs here and there, The setup only has 7k on it though and i didnt here any knocking of any sort or lose o/p so im stumped on what i should do. Someone said its normal that after you rebuild an engine metal gets in the pan. Its not like a huge amount.

SPOOLIN
11-18-2009, 07:33 AM
flakes arent normal, very fine metal shavings are...and i do mean FINE...from the rings.

B18c1Turboed
11-18-2009, 09:26 AM
Well now theres possibly bad news, my oil pan was leaking like a mother fucker, it was bent and i didnt realize it where it seals on the block, i took it off and seen some small metal flakes/specs here and there, The setup only has 7k on it though and i didnt here any knocking of any sort or lose o/p so im stumped on what i should do. Someone said its normal that after you rebuild an engine metal gets in the pan. Its not like a huge amount.

I would do a compression test and leak down.If all that is well then i would drop the Crank and look at the bearings,and see if that is the cause of your problems.
How many time have you changed the oil since the build?

-S Double C-
11-18-2009, 10:15 AM
I would do a compression test and leak down.If all that is well then i would drop the Crank and look at the bearings,and see if that is the cause of your problems.
How many time have you changed the oil since the build?

changed the oil twice, compression is 210 across the board on a cold motor have done it with it warmed up. Its very fine sand looking metal, and maybe two or 3 small shavings.

B18c1Turboed
11-18-2009, 10:25 AM
changed the oil twice, compression is 210 across the board on a cold motor have done it with it warmed up. Its very fine sand looking metal, and maybe two or 3 small shavings.

Check the bearings. If those are good then i wouldnt worry about it...

You know for oil pan we dont even use gaskets. All the new hondas dont use them eighter. Honda sells this gasket maker comes in a can, it works perfect and never leaks!!

SPOOLIN
11-18-2009, 10:48 AM
fuck that i use a gasket, i aint using that form-a-gasket shit for that lol.

B18c1Turboed
11-18-2009, 11:08 AM
fuck that i use a gasket, i aint using that form-a-gasket shit for that lol.
It like HOndabond, But better. We have used it for about 3 years now, never had a problem and always seals like it should.

Look at all the new Hondas, none run gaskets their anymore.Honda was the one that told us too do it, hasnt let us down yet!!! :taun:

B18c1Turboed
11-18-2009, 11:10 AM
http://www.artsautomotive.com/classic/FluidsHondaUltraFlange.jpg

This is Honda Ultra Flange II. It's not really a fluid; it's more of a sealing paste. Honda uses it to seal the oil pan on some of the models with aluminum oil pans.

.:Stirfry:.
11-18-2009, 11:12 AM
ill prob have my sfwd DA ready next year too.

SPOOLIN
11-18-2009, 11:42 AM
yeah ive seen that shit but honda now makes the pans where they are a flat mating surface not stamped steel so its different now than it was on b series, the b series pans have to be ground down to sit flat.

I dont know, I NEVER have leaks with pan gaskets

-S Double C-
11-18-2009, 12:37 PM
im slapping everything back together, and going ahead to the dyno if it goes then it goes and ill rebuild it.

matthewAPM
11-18-2009, 12:48 PM
Hey guys keep the talk outta here.

Thanks

Drifting isn't racing but Im going to continue hitting everything local, increase regional attendance especially at competitions. Maybe cage it and get some power. Stock isnt cutting it anymore.

But its still motorsports and you are moving forward. Hope all goes well next season!

B18c1Turboed
11-18-2009, 12:55 PM

Thanks
!

May i ask why?

SPOOLIN
11-18-2009, 03:04 PM
May i ask why?

Now if you discuss the topic of the thread you get bitched at, just as if you were talking about ice cream in a fried chicken thread.

hondalover00
11-18-2009, 04:52 PM

Thanks

But its still motorsports and you are moving forward. Hope all goes well next season!

aren't we still talking about what we are gonna be doing......isn't that the topic

dazn
11-18-2009, 08:20 PM
yea but its a thread for racing that takes talent. not going in a straight line.:eek::D
I keed I keed. I heart drag racing.

hondalover00
11-18-2009, 09:45 PM
yea but its a thread for racing that takes talent. not going in a straight line.:eek::D
I keed I keed. I heart drag racing.

:goodjob::taun::2up:

-S Double C-
11-18-2009, 10:10 PM
haterz GTFO StrAight Line>Curves any day! Me spoolin and b18c1turboed will talk about whatever we please!

BTW Danny did you get that GAY-E-M figured out yet? :)

matthewAPM
12-17-2009, 01:08 PM
^talentless racing...

Anyways. Nick (318iser) and I are both building DSP BMW's for next season. He will be in a E30 325is (15x9 6UL with 275/35-15) and I will be in a E36 328is (18x10 CCW 285/30-18). Should be a good autocross season and good competition in the Atlanta Region...I hope.

Will also be at Redline Time Attack events if schedule allows. Stock RWD FTW!

Elbow
12-17-2009, 01:43 PM
haterz GTFO StrAight Line>Curves any day! Me spoolin and b18c1turboed will talk about whatever we please!

BTW Danny did you get that GAY-E-M figured out yet? :)

Opinions are opinions...road racing > drag racing all day for me but I respect what drag racing is and the skill it takes to do it properly.

quickdodgeŽ
12-17-2009, 02:11 PM
Opinions are opinions...road racing > drag racing all day for me

Same here, man. Later, QD.

03RCode
12-17-2009, 02:14 PM
Not automotive, but still racing...

8 GNCC rounds, 14 SORCS rounds, 1 AMA/ATVA NHS round, 2 MidEast rounds, and 3 more RROR winter series rounds.

matthewAPM
12-17-2009, 02:24 PM
^ now that is epic. I have always loved the GNCC/ enduro type of stuff. Wish they would play more of it on tv.

Anyways GL with the events next season!

03RCode
12-17-2009, 02:27 PM
^ now that is epic. I have always loved the GNCC/ enduro type of stuff. Wish they would play more of it on tv.

Anyways GL with the events next season!

If you get the channel Versus RacerTV comes on around twice a week, they also do a special on Baja.

matthewAPM
12-17-2009, 02:31 PM
Yeah that is the only channel that i know of that plays it. All they play is GNCC stuff if im correct.

You ride a Yamaha right?

03RCode
12-17-2009, 02:33 PM
Yeah that is the only channel that i know of that plays it. All they play is GNCC stuff if im correct.

You ride a Yamaha right?

I'll be on a Honda for 2010. Black with a yellow frame #727, keep an eye out for me.

matthewAPM
12-17-2009, 02:52 PM
Will do:goodjob:

TheChosenOne
12-18-2009, 07:56 AM
Damn, I wish I had the time and money to get involved in autocross or road course racing. I truly have a passion for motor sports, but I'm really lacking the resources. :rolleyes: I really wanna atleast get out and see some of you IA hoes in a race. :D

Elbow
12-18-2009, 08:07 AM
Damn, I wish I had the time and money to get involved in autocross or road course racing. I truly have a passion for motor sports, but I'm really lacking the resources. :rolleyes: I really wanna atleast get out and see some of you IA hoes in a race. :D

You can do autocross or track days if your car runs well and meets BASIC tech. You don't need a cage, no race license, not even race seats. Autocross is like $30 bucks and you can get your feet wet in a track day for $100 for 40 minutes on Road Atlanta, sounds like a short time but it's plenty for a beginner especially at that track.

TheChosenOne
12-18-2009, 08:28 AM
Nice, i've thought about it before, but some advice that many people have given me and that I try to stick to is "Don't have your racecar be your only car". lol. Well, right now, my daily is my only car. Should I still give it a wack?

But anyway, back to the topic. How do you all feel about the competition in our region for your own respective classes?

Elbow
12-18-2009, 08:35 AM
Nice, i've thought about it before, but some advice that many people have given me and that I try to stick to is "Don't have your racecar be your only car". lol. Well, right now, my daily is my only car. Should I still give it a wack?

But anyway, back to the topic. How do you all feel about the competition in our region for your own respective classes?

Autocross you can run your car stock, track days you can run your car stock, no need to build a car if you're just starting out, a faster car won't make a new driver fast lol.

The competition in road racing is huge in this region, we have tons of tracks all of which IMO are big name tracks such as Road Atlanta, Daytona, Sebring, VIR, Barber, etc.

matthewAPM
12-18-2009, 01:26 PM
Well to tell you the truth, as a SCCA instructor, I would NEVER send someone out to road atlanta without doing an autocross or two. Come do an Atlanta Region autocross. Its cheap, almost every class will have competition and for the most part its a great group of people.

Autocross is very cheap. $30 entry fee and your good to go. Nothing to really hit other than a cone. Once your ready to get onto a road course, go to little talladega. Most events are around $150 and you get about 2-3 hours of track time. The reason I say to not just jump into road atlanta is I have seen some very very nice cars get totaled on there first time out.

What all is done to your hatch?

4uh8ers
12-24-2009, 11:55 AM
I am planning to hit all the atlanta region autocrosses this year and try to make it to some of the hpde's if funding is good. I will be doing it in my dd so i'm trying to get my foot in the door this season. Then when funding is good maybe pick up a e30 or something i start getting competetive in.

Elbow
12-24-2009, 12:29 PM
Sign up for NASA right now and you get an HPDE weekend for FREE...that's a $50 HPDE weekend.......

4uh8ers
12-24-2009, 05:40 PM
Sign up for NASA right now and you get an HPDE weekend for FREE...that's a $50 HPDE weekend.......

Oh hell yea. Doin that tonite then. Already a scca member too. Just trying to get as much seat time as possible!