PDA

View Full Version : General Chat Must show correlate with go?

m3dic8d
11-13-2009, 10:48 PM
I see so many people commenting on cars with extensive exterior mods saying "Man I hope there is some mods under the hood to match the exterior..."

It's not the other way around. No one ever comments on that rust bucket running the 9 second quarter mile... but shit, see that show car GT-R with $$$ dumped into the body... it's stock so it sucks.

Why?

edit: Damn, I fucked the poll up. Last one is 0/100

5speed
11-13-2009, 10:53 PM
I like both, there has to be a balance

a94civicex
11-13-2009, 10:54 PM
Don't care if my car is fast or slow! As long as it gets the attention I want nothing else matters! A clean ride is always my theory!

m3dic8d
11-13-2009, 11:01 PM
Don't care if my car is fast or slow! As long as it gets the attention I want nothing else matters! A clean ride is always my theory!
I'm starting to lean more towards this... only since I got my bike, though. To me, whenever I'm in the car it's not because I wanna go fast...so having all show and little - no go is okay for me. It'd be nice to have a really fast car, but honestly I'd rather spend my money on looks. (insert flames about how I "ruined my car" here, please)

a94civicex
11-13-2009, 11:28 PM
+reps added for 1 cool dude!!!!

Shift_2WIN
11-13-2009, 11:34 PM
I like both, there has to be a balance
I agree, both makes for a great car. I like my car to turns heads with its looks AND power.

m3dic8d
11-13-2009, 11:47 PM
I agree, both makes for a great car. I like my car to turns heads with its looks AND power.
I mean to an extent, I agree. My Z isn't that slow (definitely not saying it's fast though) and having something like... a Ford Contour, would suck.

But having my stock power is enough for me. I don't feel the need to put more into the performance.

TougeGTR-33
11-14-2009, 12:30 AM
^ i agree, there is nothing wrong with a stock car and some bad ass exterior mods.

eraser4g63
11-14-2009, 12:39 AM
You are missing an option, how about how it handles, power is not the only feature in a "go" car.

87 Turbo II
11-14-2009, 01:06 AM
I like sleepers so I had to go with option 1. I think the reason that there is a double standard is because to make something fast, you have to know what you're doing, but to make something look good is subjective, and nobody will ever agree on it fully, also anybody can buy whatever visual mods they want, but a lot less people can tune their way up, and if they just use deep pockets and somebody else's knowledge, it'll likely still cost more. Also, most enthusiasts put sports and performance before looks, so in their eyes, doing the visuals first is bad prioritizing. Also, something flashy that can't perform is basically like a gimmick. If it tries to get by on it's looks alone, then isn't a bit hollow and useless? It's the same human mentality for anything, stupid but good looking girls, crappy computers in nice cases with neon lights, a stock N/A FWD family car with a lip kit and some wheels. If it can't perform, why buy it? If it's just for looks, isn't it a bit shallow and lacking the function you really need? Just my .02 $

IMHO form should always follow function.

CasadeWaffle
11-14-2009, 01:07 AM
I'm into show and go...but having both is best. jus sayin

Just_CHill
11-14-2009, 04:13 AM
I like sleepers so I had to go with option 1. I think the reason that there is a double standard is because to make something fast, you have to know what you're doing, but to make something look good is subjective, and nobody will ever agree on it fully, also anybody can buy whatever visual mods they want, but a lot less people can tune their way up, and if they just use deep pockets and somebody else's knowledge, it'll likely still cost more. Also, most enthusiasts put sports and performance before looks, so in their eyes, doing the visuals first is bad prioritizing. Also, something flashy that can't perform is basically like a gimmick. If it tries to get by on it's looks alone, then isn't a bit hollow and useless? It's the same human mentality for anything, stupid but good looking girls, crappy computers in nice cases with neon lights, a stock N/A FWD family car with a lip kit and some wheels. If it can't perform, why buy it? If it's just for looks, isn't it a bit shallow and lacking the function you really need? Just my .02 $

IMHO form should always follow function.
QFT!

You just save me about 5 minutes of thinking of what to write.

EDIT:

Lol, ok maybe you didn't. I still agree with your statements fully, but it is always good to have a balance of show and go. I would just focus on go before show.

Elbow
11-14-2009, 06:48 AM
A fast car specifically a race car doesn't have to look good. It serves one purpose. To go fast.

sprix!
11-14-2009, 09:22 AM
I think it is great to have a car that is fast and looks great. A balance would be ideal, but I chose option 3. My car is sitting still the majority of the time, and I can get where I need to go quickly enough anyway... heh.

man
11-14-2009, 09:25 AM
I like good looking cars, but I like power more. I don't really care if people look at my car or not.

m3dic8d
11-14-2009, 04:59 PM
A fast car specifically a race car doesn't have to look good. It serves one purpose. To go fast.
Right, but why does everyone compare our cars with race cars? Not everyone builds their car to race.

5speed
11-14-2009, 05:16 PM
^ I agree on that note. I myself like a few aesthetic mods, but like to have a bit more power. I don't care to have crazy amounts of power in a street car 350-400 does it for me. I'm all for great handling bc I like to take corners as fast as my car will let me.

jhadleyh
11-14-2009, 05:21 PM
To me there is nothing better than driving and good car with only a moments notice nailing on the throttle and showing it's more than just a nice looking toy but also a beast.

TSiFTW
11-14-2009, 06:26 PM
If all the people that say they care nothing about the way a car looks were telling the truth, there wouldn't be so many threads about I did so and so to my car, what do ya think. Then low and behold there will be someone that says form over function commenting on how bad a body mod looks. Truth is other than the real racers on this site, everyone cares what their car looks like. This shit was built on the basis of show cars. I mean come on, you really think all 40,000 members signed up cause they are racers. Look at the amount of people that actually hang out in the kills forum compared to the car pics. Whether people want to admit it or not, the majority of the people get into cars for a little performance, but mostly to look good as hell. With that said I believe in a good balance of show and go.

m3dic8d
11-14-2009, 08:03 PM
^ I agree on that note. I myself like a few aesthetic mods, but like to have a bit more power. I don't care to have crazy amounts of power in a street car 350-400 does it for me. I'm all for great handling bc I like to take corners as fast as my car will let me.

I'd say I'm similar. I like to have some power behind the wheel...but like to have extensive exterior mods lol. I'm happy with the ...~250 HP my Z produces. I see what you're saying about the handling though, I like my Z a whole lot better than I liked my Mustangs

To me there is nothing better than driving and good car with only a moments notice nailing on the throttle and showing it's more than just a nice looking toy but also a beast.

Jihad.

If all the people that say they care nothing about the way a car looks were telling the truth, there wouldn't be so many threads about I did so and so to my car, what do ya think. Then low and behold there will be someone that says form over function commenting on how bad a body mod looks. Truth is other than the real racers on this site, everyone cares what their car looks like. This shit was built on the basis of show cars. I mean come on, you really think all 40,000 members signed up cause they are racers. Look at the amount of people that actually hang out in the kills forum compared to the car pics. Whether people want to admit it or not, the majority of the people get into cars for a little performance, but mostly to look good as hell. With that said I believe in a good balance of show and go.

x2! I just hate to see a car that has obviously had a lot of exterior modification and everyone posting "Oh, I hope you have some engine mods to match all those shiny add-ons" :ninja:

JJSPEC Racing
11-14-2009, 09:44 PM
I want to vote but there is not an "I built it for myself and I really like it and dont care about what people think about it" option. I have found that if I build a car for me, the way I like it then other people, or at the very least one other person, will like it. My Teg is fast and although it is not the cleanest car in IA it isnt too bad looks wise. I built it to show that the Single Cam can have potential and to see how my paint skills would look applied to a whole car. And on top, I two toned it to see if I could do it. Guess what? I like it. Nothing like a daily driver that runs 11's, gets good gas mileage and it is what I wanted to build.

m3dic8d
11-14-2009, 10:09 PM
I want to vote but there is not an "I built it for myself and I really like it and dont care about what people think about it" option. I have found that if I build a car for me, the way I like it then other people, or at the very least one other person, will like it. My Teg is fast and although it is not the cleanest car in IA it isnt too bad looks wise. I built it to show that the Single Cam can have potential and to see how my paint skills would look applied to a whole car. And on top, I two toned it to see if I could do it. Guess what? I like it. Nothing like a daily driver that runs 11's, gets good gas mileage and it is what I wanted to build.
I can respect doing it all for yourself, but the principles still remain the same and it seems you'd be somewhat closer to 50/50...

JJSPEC Racing
11-14-2009, 10:21 PM
I can respect doing it all for yourself, but the principles still remain the same and it seems you'd be somewhat closer to 50/50...

That is true. Back in the day, I didnt have the time to make it look good so it had to run good. Now, I can take some time to make it look more presentable (even good) and run good. I even painted the engine and trans in the Teg, something I couldnt even have thought of in the past. So I believe you are right 50/50. The difference is that since performance is more important to me, if it has to look good, or perform good. the perform good will win out. I will however go back and clean it up it when I get a chance. Good observation. Voted!