PDA

View Full Version : Noob headgasket question

gar9854
11-12-2009, 06:00 PM
I'm hoping to have the head off of the 323 gt tomorrow
and I'm trying to figure out how to check and see if it's straight...
If it's not where should I take It around Stockbridge.
Is there such thing as a headgasket break in?

gogojuice_99
11-12-2009, 06:43 PM
i had a headgasket changed on my old eclipse. i changed it to the cometic gasket which i recommend. as of a headgasket break in i never really heard anything like that. and you can check it with the head on as it is to see if you have coolant or anything leaking out. and as of a place in stockridge i couldnt tell you other than look at the sponsors at the bottom of the forums there may be a performance shop in your area to help. :D

Tech5
11-12-2009, 06:48 PM
i had a headgasket changed on my old eclipse. i changed it to the cometic gasket which i recommend. as of a headgasket break in i never really heard anything like that. and you can check it with the head on as it is to see if you have coolant or anything leaking out. and as of a place in stockridge i couldnt tell you other than look at the sponsors at the bottom of the forums there may be a performance shop in your area to help. :D

Wrong and wrong.... AS far checking the head for warpage you can use a flat edge and a flash light, but a rule of thumb is anytime you take the head off to replace a headgasket is to have it cleaned and shaved. you can take it to Hendrix in Locust Grove 770-954-0301 He has done many of my heads and does good work from what I have used him for.

Break in, well lets put it this way I always drive gentle for the first oil change and they re check the torque specs and then I roll on them. But that is just me because I am pickie on everything .Also Get new Head bolts on that car

VickNotic
11-12-2009, 07:49 PM
Wrong and wrong.... AS far checking the head for warpage you can use a flat edge and a flash light, but a rule of thumb is anytime you take the head off to replace a headgasket is to have it cleaned and shaved. you can take it to Hendrix in Locust Grove 770-954-0301 He has done many of my heads and does good work from what I have used him for.

Break in, well lets put it this way I always drive gentle for the first oil change and they re check the torque specs and then I roll on them. But that is just me because I am pickie on everything .Also Get new Head bolts on that car

same thing with me, I always drive gently until my oil change mileage is up and then I go back in there and re torque the headbolts. And it's always good to get new headbolts some may same else wise, But you can do whatever you.

Tech5
11-12-2009, 07:54 PM
Honda bolts I use the old ones after 1million headjobs I have never had one issue

MongolPup
11-12-2009, 08:36 PM
Factory headstuds, most people I know won't reuse them. ARP says you can reuse theirs 2 or 3 times, which I guess speaks to both theirs and the factory ones.

However I have no personal experience with them like ASE Tech has/does, so take that with a grain of salt. I personally would not use factory ones after pulling them off, but that is a Nissan motor and I am OCD like that.

Barefoot
11-12-2009, 10:19 PM
a precision straight edge. get new bolts. not worth the risk of reusing to me that is.

slostang
11-12-2009, 10:29 PM
a precision straight edge. get new bolts. not worth the risk of reusing to me that is.

we know all about used head bolts from recent events. lulz.

gar9854
11-14-2009, 07:22 PM
Yea there's no way I was going to use the own head bolts cause the head was changed 6 months before I bought it and the guy didn't seem to know much about anything.
Has anyone heard good things about chastain in Jonesboro ?

Barefoot
11-14-2009, 07:36 PM
Has anyone heard good things about chastain in Jonesboro ?i use them all the time 1/2-1 day turn around for the work u need. like $80 bux.

gar9854
11-14-2009, 09:20 PM
i use them all the time 1/2-1 day turn around for the work u need. like $80 bux.

u got any idea on hot tanking.magnafluxing and a possible shave?

Barefoot
11-14-2009, 11:07 PM
give kyle a call monday he can get u all the prices no problem.