PDA

View Full Version : Misc Any Pilots???

slow_hatch
11-10-2009, 02:59 PM
Seeing if there were any other pilots on the board?? I'm about halfway done w/ getting my private helicopter license. Who else here flys and where do you fly out of?

deathrex
11-10-2009, 03:30 PM
Im a pilot! single and multi commercial working on finishing up my instructor tickets. I fly out of klzu right now but i was based out of klgb in longbeach california for the past year. Ill be moving over to rotocraft after i finish up my CFI , CFII and MEI its only 50 hours to transition to commercial pilot in a heli then ill go for my cfi in a heli. Right now im flying the Cessna C172 C152 Piper Seminole PA-44 and a Citation cj525.

quickdodgeŽ
11-10-2009, 03:35 PM
I had half the hours in and then quit. My grandfather bought his first plane in 1961, I believe. He sold two of his planes just a few years ago since his pilot's license isn't able to be renewed. He kept one at Stone Mountain and one at Brown Field. One underwing and one overwing. Both Cessnas. Later, QD.

slow_hatch
11-10-2009, 03:52 PM
Im a pilot! single and multi commercial working on finishing up my instructor tickets. I fly out of klzu right now but i was based out of klgb in longbeach california for the past year. Ill be moving over to rotocraft after i finish up my CFI , CFII and MEI its only 50 hours to transition to commercial pilot in a heli then ill go for my cfi in a heli. Right now im flying the Cessna C172 C152 Piper Seminole PA-44 and a Citation cj525.

Awesome, I fly out of KLZU as well. Taking my lessons at BlueRidge Helicopters on the north ramp. :goodjob: Hit em' up when you make the switch. BTW planes are for sissys :crazy:

slow_hatch
11-10-2009, 03:55 PM
I had half the hours in and then quit. My grandfather bought his first plane in 1961, I believe. He sold two of his planes just a few years ago since his pilot's license isn't able to be renewed. He kept one at Stone Mountain and one at Brown Field. One underwing and one overwing. Both Cessnas. Later, QD.

That's cool, I'd love to be able to afford my own aircraft someday. What's the reason he can't renew his license?

quickdodgeŽ
11-10-2009, 04:08 PM
That's cool, I'd love to be able to afford my own aircraft someday. What's the reason he can't renew his license?

He's 83, lolol. With a few health problems. And it was fun with him having the planes. He had hangar space at the airport on St. Simon's Island and we'd fly down there for weekends to our house and chill. He and my grandmother would also pack up a change of clothes and golf clubs and fly around the US just to play golf wherever. They used to fly to Colorado all the time to play out there, lolol.

Funny/cool story is before he moved to Atlanta, he lived in NE Tennessee His job transferred him here and while searching for a house, he would fly to work every morning and fly back home in TN. Later, QD.

slow_hatch
11-10-2009, 04:30 PM
He's 83, lolol. With a few health problems. And it was fun with him having the planes. He had hangar space at the airport on St. Simon's Island and we'd fly down there for weekends to our house and chill. He and my grandmother would also pack up a change of clothes and golf clubs and fly around the US just to play golf wherever. They used to fly to Colorado all the time to play out there, lolol.

Funny/cool story is before he moved to Atlanta, he lived in NE Tennessee His job transferred him here and while searching for a house, he would fly to work every morning and fly back home in TN. Later, QD.

Yeah, I understand the health deal. My dad wanted to take lessons with me, but he had a heart attack a couple years ago w/ a few stints put in. Now they say he has a special heart condition that won't allow him to get a clean physical.

Awesome stories, hope I can do that one day. :goodjob:

JJSPEC Racing
11-10-2009, 07:25 PM
I have my single engine land cert. Havent flown in a while due to the time and expense of running a business. Nothing like rolling out to speed, rotating and watching the earth fall away as you become airborne. I always flew out of MLJ(Baldwin County). It had an island right off the end of runway 28 that would give you some interesting up/downdrafts as you came in to land off the lake.

redrumracer
11-11-2009, 02:38 AM
BTW planes are for sissys :crazy:
naaa the helicopters are for sissy's cause airplanes cant auto-rotate(not sure if the osprey has that capability) to the ground.

EZM-Piper Warrior III

slow_hatch
11-11-2009, 06:42 AM
naaa the helicopters are for sissy's cause airplanes cant auto-rotate(not sure if the osprey has that capability) to the ground.

EZM-Piper Warrior III

Lol, what?? Planes can glide, while helicopters must preform an Autorotation in the case of an engine failure. Which one do you think is easier???

SPOOLIN
11-11-2009, 08:34 AM
you couldn't pay me to fly in a helicopter.

my uncle is a heli machanic in the Louisiana Deltas.

JJSPEC Racing
11-11-2009, 08:59 AM
Lol, what?? Planes can glide, while helicopters must preform an Autorotation in the case of an engine failure. Which one do you think is easier???

As part of my biannual review, I took off got about 550 feet up and the instructor grabbed the throttle, closed it and said "land it". No problem set up for glide and took it back to the runway. I would imagine that if you were in an area that had fields or decently straight roads with minimum power lines an airplane would be easier to land without power.

deathrex
11-11-2009, 10:08 AM
Yeah, I understand the health deal. My dad wanted to take lessons with me, but he had a heart attack a couple years ago w/ a few stints put in. Now they say he has a special heart condition that won't allow him to get a clean physical.

Awesome stories, hope I can do that one day.

Tell him to join AOPA they can help him get a medical. My dad had a similar situation he was a pilot had a heart attack and he thought he could never fly again. He just got his 2nd class again with the help of AOPA.

EZM-Piper Warrior III

My dads company writes the training material on the osprey and yes they can auto-rotate. His whole life has been about aviation hes worked on the apache heli and the c17 a few others aswell.

On a side note the reason i want to get into helis is a couple of my friends are heli pilots and have flown with them a few times. Wayne has a big peice of property in franklin TN he just lands in his backyard lol its awesome. Brian we were out flying over atlanta he simply asked are you hungry? and we landed in the BP parking lot behind red lobster ate and went back up. Both fly robinson R44's. There are alot more freedoms in a heli than a fixed wing. My uncle is a heli pilot and owns a Bell UH1. Im selling my bike to get a plane. I come from a long line of aviation. Both of my grandfathers were pilots my dad was a navy pilot my moms 8 brothers are pilots and 2 of my uncles are pilots.

deathrex
11-11-2009, 10:22 AM
Awesome, I fly out of KLZU as well. Taking my lessons at BlueRidge Helicopters on the north ramp. :goodjob: Hit em' up when you make the switch. BTW planes are for sissys :crazy:

I fly out of ATP. Hahaha fly a jet and i think youd make the transition. I was flying jets for a corporate/charter company out of KLGB in cali but the company went under so i had to move back to atlanta when i couldnt find another job out there. Ive been looking for a while with no bites so now im going on to instruction for a while to keep up with hours and hopefully enough hours to be on the prefered list when the majors start hiring again in 2013. The age extension for retirement really fucked us younger guys that were getting started over.

slow_hatch
11-11-2009, 12:13 PM
As part of my biannual review, I took off got about 550 feet up and the instructor grabbed the throttle, closed it and said "land it". No problem set up for glide and took it back to the runway. I would imagine that if you were in an area that had fields or decently straight roads with minimum power lines an airplane would be easier to land without power.

Lot easier to glide a plane IMO. Auto in a R22 and you have about 1 sec to drop the collective completly, pull aft right cyclic, and right pedal for trim. Then you have to set your attitude, and maintain your rotor RPM the entire time. Through some turns in there, its a lot to handle. A plane without power still flies the same way it does with power, aka glider

slow_hatch
11-11-2009, 12:16 PM
BTW here is a video of me soloing up to Dahlonega last weekend. Fun times :crazy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ohvNcImBc

Post some of your pictures/videos :goodjob:

slow_hatch
11-11-2009, 12:16 PM
:camera:

deathrex
11-11-2009, 12:44 PM
Flying over Nor Cal heading into Sacramento.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f156/RWiley98J/2649_67528188034_565213034_2239240_.jpg

IFR flying through clouds i think this was on a flight from pheonix AZ into Riverside CA
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f156/RWiley98J/2649_67528218034_565213034_2239244_.jpg

Flying over my house
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f156/RWiley98J/untitled.jpg

Flying over lake Lanier
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f156/RWiley98J/untitled1.jpg

Random shot with my phone
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f156/RWiley98J/untitled2.jpg

Took my girlfriend up flying she took pics. Lake Lanier.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f156/RWiley98J/untitled3.jpg

Me and my sisters boyfriend going over preflight stuff getting ready to fly to savannah
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f156/RWiley98J/untitled4.jpg

Taxing to runway 7 at KLZU
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f156/RWiley98J/untitled5.jpg

Favorite plane ive ever flown Harmon Rocket basically a modified Vans RV-8 with a IO-560 cruise is arround 230kts and can handel +8 -6 G's lots of fun to spin arround.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f156/RWiley98J/untitled6.jpg

slow_hatch
11-11-2009, 01:04 PM
kickass:goodjob::goodjob: