PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods LS Build.

tdurr
11-10-2009, 12:49 AM
So a buddy of mine wants to kno what would be the best route to head if he wants a N/A LS that he might put boost on later. Throw out ideas, he has 1g in hand so once he gets a plan its going down. :cheers:

southside
11-10-2009, 01:04 AM
So a buddy of mine wants to kno what would be the best route to head if he wants a N/A LS that he might put boost on later. Throw out ideas, he has 1g in hand so once he gets a plan its going down. :cheers:I got a budget build that will run that much.

dallasb84
11-10-2009, 01:37 AM
go with ebay forged rods and some je pistons.

definately build the motor

tdurr
11-10-2009, 04:32 PM
I got a budget build that will run that much.

explain this "budget build"

go with ebay forged rods and some je pistons.

definately build the motor

and the plan is to build it, but with what parts. :rolleyes:

bigdare23
11-10-2009, 04:40 PM
It's no point to start building toward allmotor if he plans on boosting down the road. My suggestions would be build a high compression block, run it, then when he want to go boost, sell it, then build a low compression block.

slow_hatch
11-10-2009, 04:57 PM
Keep it stock and put 1g into the turbo kit. ;)

BABY J
11-10-2009, 11:13 PM
If he wants to boost this, then it needs to be a boost build from the jump. If he wants to build it N/A then he should plan for it to be N/A from start to finish.

If you wanna go N/A :

--> I'd suggest to spring 200 - 300 for a 75 wet shot if the motor is healthy. Then start saving for a N/A build if N/A is where he wants to go. This is so you can still have a great performer while you build up another block. An all-motor LS is something you build b/c you want to, not b/c you want to look "kool" and not b/c you think you will make the power that the VTEC guys make. But done right you'll drag some of those guys fairly easily.

If you want to go boost:

--> If he has the heart for boost, scrap the interim nitrous plan b/c you can get a boosted stock block on the streets much faster than a real N/A build bc the block doesn't have to come outta the car. Get the compression check and leakdown test. If that's good, hit up Treadstone performance for a basic kit and get that tuned. Don't shoot for a number, just shoot for a good safe tune. OEM LS's on boost are fierce street-fighters if done correctly.

Good luck.

SPOOLIN
11-11-2009, 07:47 AM
build it was 10.5-11.0 compression, you can use it fine either way then unless you are wanting a 600+ buildup later on that platform.

Formally...
11-11-2009, 08:09 AM
Matt beat me too it. I would get some Eagle rods, JE pistons (10.1-11.1 compression) and headstuds. This would still be a pretty fun NA setup but could do either NOS or boost later. I like higher compression boosted setups for street cars. More responsive and fun to drive.

southside
11-11-2009, 10:49 AM
build it was 10.5-11.0 compression, you can use it fine either way then unless you are wanting a 600+ buildup later on that platform.My friend has a boosted celica which is kinda like the Gsr not in same way, but im referring to the 1.8L part.And it has 11.5 and his car boost around 12psi daily.:goodjob:I always thought when boosting your compression had to be low or either high compression low boost and serious tune.I still remember a guy on here I will not name him.He thought after replacing his oem headgasket with a cosmetic on a ctr he could boost it safely.

BABY J
11-11-2009, 11:01 AM
... I still remember a guy on here I will not name him.He thought after replacing his oem headgasket with a cosmetic on a ctr he could boost it safely.

http://img.diytrade.com/cdimg/94135/197967/0/1036068640.jpg

RBS
11-11-2009, 11:17 AM
buy a nitrous kit. simple, fast, cheap

southside
11-11-2009, 11:58 AM
http://img.diytrade.com/cdimg/94135/197967/0/1036068640.jpg:lmfao:My bad meant cometic

BABY J
11-11-2009, 12:01 PM
* giggles * Just givin' you shit. :)

tdurr
11-11-2009, 12:13 PM
If he wants to boost this, then it needs to be a boost build from the jump. If he wants to build it N/A then he should plan for it to be N/A from start to finish.

If you wanna go N/A :

--> I'd suggest to spring 200 - 300 for a 75 wet shot if the motor is healthy. Then start saving for a N/A build if N/A is where he wants to go. This is so you can still have a great performer while you build up another block. An all-motor LS is something you build b/c you want to, not b/c you want to look "kool" and not b/c you think you will make the power that the VTEC guys make. But done right you'll drag some of those guys fairly easily.

If you want to go boost:

--> If he has the heart for boost, scrap the interim nitrous plan b/c you can get a boosted stock block on the streets much faster than a real N/A build bc the block doesn't have to come outta the car. Get the compression check and leakdown test. If that's good, hit up Treadstone performance for a basic kit and get that tuned. Don't shoot for a number, just shoot for a good safe tune. OEM LS's on boost are fierce street-fighters if done correctly.

Good luck.
Good post, thanks man ill be sure to tell him. Im not 100% sure if he want to build for boost now cuz he has 1g in his hand to spend but the motor needs to be looked over so he was thinking of just rebuilding it while it was outta the car.

build it was 10.5-11.0 compression, you can use it fine either way then unless you are wanting a 600+ buildup later on that platform.
thanks. Thats good to know also.

Matt beat me too it. I would get some Eagle rods, JE pistons (10.1-11.1 compression) and headstuds. This would still be a pretty fun NA setup but could do either NOS or boost later. I like higher compression boosted setups for street cars. More responsive and fun to drive.
and ill inform him on those parts. Thats more or less what i was looking for, a parts list like that for na/boost.
reps to all who put up good info. :cheers:

Jenson
11-11-2009, 02:11 PM
Edit:Im an idiot and didnt read the full OP

BABY J
11-11-2009, 02:14 PM
Why in the world anyone uses eagle rods for an all motor build is beyond me. Grab some nippon racing CTR pistons, shot peen stock rods, arp rod bolts, Crower 405's and valvetrain, port and deck the head to desired CR. Standard will be 11.4:1 with that combo. This is assuming all bolt-ons are already in place with tuning capability. And this is the N/A section so I dont understand why people are saying just buy boost...

Probably because w/ the Eagles it's setup to run boost as well if he changes his mind and you only have to go into the bottom end once. The OP wasn't sure on NA/Boost so this is the smartest approach if he changes his mind later.