PDA

View Full Version : a little help with sub and amp combo

THEONE
11-09-2009, 10:07 PM
i just ordered a JBL GTO 1201.1 and i am woundering what sub would be reccomended to use with this amp,im not lookin blow my windows out or winnin any shows, but lookin to get the most out of the amp and good clean sound,im lookin to stick with a single sub and stayin in the 125.00 range(i know im cheap) i want a clean sounding sub and stupid bass when i want it .i like rock and metal but i want it to hit hard when im bumpin some old dru down....lol

oh and the car is a kia sorento and the box will be in the cargo area of course.....point me to a ebay auction or local shop reps will be given thanks !!! 10 inch 12inch or 15? im
lost hahaha

here are the amps specs.....

CEA Rated Yes
Power Output 787 watts RMS x 1 channel at 4 ohms and ? 1% THD + N
1114 watts RMS x 1 channel at 2 ohms,
14.4V supply and ? 1% THD + N
Signal-to-Noise Ratio 70dBa (reference 1 watt into 4 ohms)
Dynamic Power 1339 watts at 2 ohms
Effective Damping Factor 6.348 at 4 ohms
Frequency Response (-3dB) 10Hz - 302Hz
Maximum Input Signal 6.1V
Maximum Sensitivity 140mV
Output Regulation .14dB at 4 ohms
Dimensions (H x W x D) 18-11/16" x 12-5/16" x 2-3/8"

TSiFTW
11-09-2009, 10:28 PM
For that price you will be looking at a mid grade sub. With one sub for that price you will probably only be able to use about 1/2 to 3/4 of the output of the amp, which isn't a bad thing. Unless you get something used for cheap. Check into Memphis, RE Audio, and Cerwin Vega's middle lines. They are fairly good and around your price range, maybe a tad more.

THEONE
11-09-2009, 10:35 PM
For that price you will be looking at a mid grade sub. With one sub for that price you will probably only be able to use about 1/2 to 3/4 of the output of the amp, which isn't a bad thing. Unless you get something used for cheap. Check into Memphis, RE Audio, and Cerwin Vega's middle lines. They are fairly good and around your price range, maybe a tad more.

i have no problem runnin a mid grade sub but i want a brand new one. i have been out of the audio thing for a long time,right now alpine haunts me since that is what i would swear by a few years back,the reason i chose this amp it that it took me back to old school rap days when i had my first system in my 83 olds delta 88....

just for kicks what would i need to be lookin at to get the most out of this amp? i remeber 15's bein sloppy as all hell and 12's pretty close....... 10's have always fired fast and accurate to me well the right ones any ways in a tight box...any killer 10's out there in my range or a tad more :D

lovinmydodge
11-09-2009, 10:58 PM
your going to need a dual 4 ohm sub. that is capable of 1200 watts rms. so you are going to need a decent beefy sub. I would suggest a decent 12. with the kia sorrento you dont' have a big area in the back. I would suggest a decent 12 in a ported box but a smaller ported box tuned a little higher. Doing say a Power Acoustik Fubar 12d4 its going to be a little over power. But I've personally ran 1000 rms to this sub all day long. if you gain down the amp a little you will be a little better sound quality. and still get loud. I would build a box around 1.8 cubes tuned at 38 htz. That will be low enough to be very clear down low and very sq. but it will allow you to get silly loud and still get clean accurate bass. And doing a box a little smaller than spec will allow you to run a little more power to the sub than rated with out it blowing the coil. These subs are great. I ran 2 12's and i've run 2 15's as well. I am considering running 6 of these exact subs in a wall. check it out not a bad price at half your budget.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1800W-POWER-ACOUSTIK-FUBAR-12W-12-Car-Sub_W0QQitemZ230386193612QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCar_Su bwoofers_Enclosures?hash=item35a41654cc

THEONE
11-09-2009, 11:07 PM
your going to need a dual 4 ohm sub. that is capable of 1200 watts rms. so you are going to need a decent beefy sub. I would suggest a decent 12. with the kia sorrento you dont' have a big area in the back. I would suggest a decent 12 in a ported box but a smaller ported box tuned a little higher. Doing say a Power Acoustik Fubar 12d4 its going to be a little over power. But I've personally ran 1000 rms to this sub all day long. if you gain down the amp a little you will be a little better sound quality. and still get loud. I would build a box around 1.8 cubes tuned at 38 htz. That will be low enough to be very clear down low and very sq. but it will allow you to get silly loud and still get clean accurate bass. And doing a box a little smaller than spec will allow you to run a little more power to the sub than rated with out it blowing the coil. These subs are great. I ran 2 12's and i've run 2 15's as well. I am considering running 6 of these exact subs in a wall. check it out not a bad price at half your budget.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1800W-POWER-ACOUSTIK-FUBAR-12W-12-Car-Sub_W0QQitemZ230386193612QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCar_Su bwoofers_Enclosures?hash=item35a41654cc

sub dont look bad and yah the appearance matters a bit to me to for some reason...hmmm.

know of any box builders on tha cheap???:D