PDA

View Full Version : 97 Honda Civic Overheating Problem

Superbeefy20
11-09-2009, 08:33 PM
Ok, so my 97 honda civic ex has been running hot and I need to fix it fast. The radiator fan has stopped turning whenever I'm driving. I tried replacing the motor, and that didnt work. The new motor never spins and hooking the old one to a jump made the motor spin.

I then tried looking at all the fuses and relays. All of them are in good condition, but the radiator fan still doesn't spin.

I then tried replacing the thermostat and thermoswitch/thermosensor. After all that, the radiator fan still doesnt turn on.
Btw, I used a paper clip and conncected the pins on the thermoswitch together and the fan spins all the time never turning off. This is how I'm running the car now.

I was wondering what is causing my radiator fan from coming on and is running the car with a paper clip touching the two pins bad for the car?

Tech5
11-09-2009, 08:36 PM
wiring,black box,relay,fuse,

ludeguy420
11-09-2009, 08:36 PM
some wires are messed up

Superbeefy20
11-09-2009, 08:43 PM
Checked all the fuses and relays in the box. All of them are good.

punkr6
11-09-2009, 08:48 PM
low on coolant, or bad fan switch/sensor...

Superbeefy20
11-09-2009, 08:53 PM
Radiator is full of coolant. Replaced the radiator fan switch/thermoswitch/thermosensor aka the thing located on the thermostat housing. I took the little plug thing and jumped it and the fan comes on. When I plug it back in, the fan doesn't come on at all.

Formally...
11-10-2009, 07:38 AM
Did you replace the fan switch with a new one of just another used one? If you can jump the plug and the fan comes on then all the wiring, relays, fuses, etc are working fine. You may have another bad switch or may have air in the cooling system. Also, when car gets hot does it boil the coolant and overflow or just show hot on the dash?

Superbeefy20
11-10-2009, 02:46 PM
Its a brand new radiator switch from autozone. When it overheats, the fluid boils and overflows. How would i know if air got in the system and how would i fix it?

Barefoot
11-10-2009, 03:49 PM
When it overheats, the fluid boils and overflows. u got a blown head gasket there buddy

VickNotic
11-11-2009, 11:22 AM
u got a blown head gasket there buddy

thats how you fix it Head GAsket job..

Barefoot
11-11-2009, 12:51 PM
yup

Superbeefy20
11-11-2009, 04:22 PM
I dont think its a head gasket. It only boils and overflows when the car is running for a long time without the fan on. Im driving it now with a paper clip on the switch and it hasnt overheated once.

Btw, could a leak be the reason why the fan doesnt come on?

Superbeefy20
11-11-2009, 04:34 PM
I dont think its a head gasket. It only boils and overflows when the car is running for a long time without the fan on. Im driving it now with a paper clip on the switch and it hasnt overheated once.

Btw, could a leak be the reason why the fan doesnt come on?

VickNotic
11-11-2009, 07:15 PM
And is the fan kicking in at all? When rad. fluid is low this causes overheat as well, And the fans wont kick in. And as for the paper clip WHY?

BlackDubs
11-11-2009, 07:25 PM
There might be air in the coolant system. Take your radiator cap off and turn the car on. If there is air in the coolant system, you will see the coolant bubble up every now and then. Do this for about 10 min, and check to see if the fan kicks on.

Same thing happened to me before and this solved my problem. I also replaced everything you listed.

Goodluck.

BlackDubs
11-11-2009, 07:27 PM
And is the fan kicking in at all? When rad. fluid is low this causes overheat as well, And the fans wont kick in. And as for the paper clip WHY?

He is using the "paper clip" to jump the rad fan. It keeps the fan on.

Hondatwin23
11-11-2009, 07:43 PM
There might be air in the coolant system. Take your radiator cap off and turn the car on. If there is air in the coolant system, you will see the coolant bubble up every now and then. Do this for about 10 min, and check to see if the fan kicks on.

Same thing happened to me before and this solved my problem. I also replaced everything you listed.

Goodluck.

try this first

JJSPEC Racing
11-11-2009, 07:50 PM
Did you make sure you installed the spring side of the thermostat in the housing side that is attatched to the engine. I have seen someone put one backwards and it wont open properly to let the coolant flow. Air is a big possibility also like a lot of people are saying.

Superbeefy20
11-12-2009, 01:39 AM
Did you make sure you installed the spring side of the thermostat in the housing side that is attatched to the engine. I have seen someone put one backwards and it wont open properly to let the coolant flow. Air is a big possibility also like a lot of people are saying.
I had my dad replace the thermostat and thermostat switch while I was in class, but he knows what he's doing when it comes to cars.

Goodluck.
I'll try what you said. If I do what you said, the air should be out of the coolant system?

And an update. Since the rain is gone, I've noticed a leak. It seems pretty bad too. I haven't had a chance to get a good look under the car, but the fluid is dripping off of the transmission. I've looked near the radiator, thermostat, all my heater hoses, etc. and none of those are leaking. This leak didn't exist before the radiator, thermostat, etc. were installed either. Like I said, its dripping off of the transmission near the rear of the engine.
I think because of the leak, the thermostat isn't getting the necessary water and the fan aint coming on. Any ideas?

preferredduck
11-12-2009, 01:50 AM
I had my dad replace the thermostat and thermostat switch while I was in class, but he knows what he's doing when it comes to cars.

I'll try what you said. If I do what you said, the air should be out of the coolant system?

And an update. Since the rain is gone, I've noticed a leak. It seems pretty bad too. I haven't had a chance to get a good look under the car, but the fluid is dripping off of the transmission. I've looked near the radiator, thermostat, all my heater hoses, etc. and none of those are leaking. This leak didn't exist before the radiator, thermostat, etc. were installed either. Like I said, its dripping off of the transmission near the rear of the engine.
I think because of the leak, the thermostat isn't getting the necessary water and the fan aint coming on. Any ideas?

start it up, pop the hood and find the leak first before you blow the head gasket. thats the way to find the the quickest on the upper or lower hose, trust me a hole or crack can be hard to find. make sure you have someone watch the temp guage so you dont overheat it. if you will the system and you dont find the leak then it ma not be circling goos either.

Formally...
11-12-2009, 07:51 AM
Also, have you changed the rad cap at all. A car will overheat (boil the water) quicker if there is no pressure in the system because of a bad cap and the fan will not turn on.

dorin48
11-12-2009, 08:17 AM
FYI there is a difference between a "Coolant Temperature Sensor" (sends signal for emissions, gauge) and a "Coolant Temp Switch"

Auto-part guys typically get them confused or the part look up system refuses to acknowledge that both exist. 99% of everything obd1, some obd0, and newer has both of them.

Check numbers 16 and 17 in this image.
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/catimgs/14S5P0_E15.gif

Boiling fluid sounds like: a HG, bad Tstat., air in the system etc.

turbob20
11-12-2009, 06:20 PM
i just used a lighter to melt back both wires and twisted em both together with electrical tape to get fan on full time cause am turbo with small radiator. it will be fine you can even plug it back in when done so peple wont say hey you got a wire off. 5 years still rollin with a jumped fan switch,lol it will be fine.

Superbeefy20
11-12-2009, 11:51 PM
I replaced number 16 in that pic. I'm gonna take the car to my mechanic the first time I get the money. I'm tired of throwing money at the problem when they can tell me whats up.

iNsTuN nOoDoH
11-13-2009, 01:48 AM
I'd still check the installation of the thermostat, even if your dad knows what he's doing. Everyone makes mistakes. The thermostat also has a little notch that lines up a certain way too. That housing is only 2 bolts to take off and it's also in the rear where you said it's showing signs of leaking.