PDA

View Full Version : A qwik winter project

jeepspeed06
11-06-2009, 05:58 PM
Hello to all – was wanting to know if I could get some help – starting a project any advice will help..

Currant vehicle 1990 civic d15b 4 spd
Parts collected for swap
d16y8 block with flywheel – d16y7 head & intake – 91 civic si 5 spd trans with new clutch assm – 91 civic ex knuckles complete with rotors and cali’s – 90 integra rear trailing arms complete with uca and lca –

my question is – im sure I need a different ecu – which one ? – when installing the si 5 spd trans is it a plug and play or do I need more items ie shifter cables or linkage ? axles ? is there anything else I should pickup for swap – thanks for any help that might come my way … :yes:

slostang
11-06-2009, 06:02 PM
the ecu that would prolly be best to use in this cars is going to be a p28 from a 92-95 civic ex/si for a d16z6, then just get the jumper harness to go from an obd0 to obd1 ecu (i cant remember who makes one) and yes your si trans should be just a direct swap iirc. you may need the si clutch and flywheel though.

Barefoot
11-06-2009, 06:14 PM
which is tranny are u talking about the cable or hydro.

the ecu that would prolly be best to use in this cars is going to be a p28 from a 92-95 civic ex/si for a d16z6, then just get the jumper harness to go from an obd0 to obd1 ecu (i cant remember who makes one) and yes your si trans should be just a direct swap iirc. you may need the si clutch and flywheel though.
x2

slostang
11-06-2009, 06:23 PM
which is tranny are u talking about the cable or hydro.

hes talking about an ef so im assuming cable.

jeepspeed06
11-06-2009, 06:45 PM
yes its the cable trans - i was told to get a si 5 spd cable for it - not sure if that is tru or not - thought i would get up early and go hunting for one if it is what i need along with your advice on the ecu - thanking you guys for the help

Barefoot
11-06-2009, 07:23 PM
hes talking about an ef so im assuming cable.
lol this is IA first rule never assume.

Barefoot
11-06-2009, 07:33 PM
yes its the cable trans - i was told to get a si 5 spd cable for it - not sure if that is tru or not - thought i would get up early and go hunting for one if it is what i need along with your advice on the ecu - thanking you guys for the help
your good. pm SiRed94 he is a open book of info for ef's

scttydb411
11-06-2009, 07:58 PM
if you're going to run a non-chipped ecu then you'll need the same ecu as the head you have which is y7 (non-vtec). the p28 in stock form will throw cel since you won't have vtec. p28 is the one to go with if you're running it chipped. you'll also need to consider what throttlebody/iacv combination and ecu.

i would run the y8 intake manifold instead of the y7. the y7 is a down-draft manifold w/ long narrow runners (good for lower-end torque, but not as good for upper end hp). the y8 has large plenum, shorter, fatter runners for better flow and topend.

jeepspeed06
11-06-2009, 09:13 PM
hey everyone thanks for the help so far im going hunting tomorrow for some items at my secret wrecking yard - lolol - ill be looking out for some of the items you said to use - do i need that different cable setup for the trans or i can get by with the 4 speed cable setup which is currantly in car ?

SiRed94
11-06-2009, 11:03 PM
Hello to all – was wanting to know if I could get some help – starting a project any advice will help..

Currant vehicle 1990 civic d15b 4 spd
Parts collected for swap
d16y8 block with flywheel – d16y7 head & intake – 91 civic si 5 spd trans with new clutch assm – 91 civic ex knuckles complete with rotors and cali’s – 90 integra rear trailing arms complete with uca and lca –

my question is – im sure I need a different ecu – which one ? – when installing the si 5 spd trans is it a plug and play or do I need more items ie shifter cables or linkage ? axles ? is there anything else I should pickup for swap – thanks for any help that might come my way … :yes:

The transmission will bolt on fine without any issues. They have the same bolt pattern and the spline count is the same on all 89-91's. The axles, mounts, linkage, and clutch will all work. As far as the engine goes, just use the original driver's side engine mount and put it on the Y8 block.

As far as ECU goes. If you have a DPFI (2 injector) model Civic, you will have to convert the car to MPFI (4 injectors). I will just explain the cheapest and easiest way to do this swap. It would be to get everything in the car, keep the car OBD0 and do the MPFI conversion. Get a PM6 ECU (CRX Si/Civic Si/Civic EX) and D16a6 distributor. Also, if you can afford it, I would get either a y8 or z6 intake manifold. You can use the injectors from the 92+ civic manifolds and you won't have to wire a resistor box in. This way, you will only have to run 4 wires into the engine bay. If you convert to OBD1, that is just extra work/wiring, and more money.

Just shoot me a pm if you have anymore questions. Later.

Barefoot
11-06-2009, 11:11 PM
The transmission will bolt on fine without any issues. They have the same bolt pattern and the spline count is the same on all 89-91's. The axles, mounts, linkage, and clutch will all work. As far as the engine goes, just use the original driver's side engine mount and put it on the Y8 block.

As far as ECU goes. If you have a DPFI (2 injector) model Civic, you will have to convert the car to MPFI (4 injectors). I will just explain the cheapest and easiest way to do this swap. It would be to get everything in the car, keep the car OBD0 and do the MPFI conversion. Get a PM6 ECU (CRX Si/Civic Si/Civic EX) and D16a6 distributor. Also, if you can afford it, I would get either a y8 or z6 intake manifold. You can use the injectors from the 92+ civic manifolds and you won't have to wire a resistor box in. This way, you will only have to run 4 wires into the engine bay. If you convert to OBD1, that is just extra work/wiring, and more money.

Just shoot me a pm if you have anymore questions. Later.see now told u open book

jeepspeed06
11-07-2009, 05:25 AM
thanks everyone - im going to the yard in about an hour to search - thanks for all the help and the shopping list - ill report back with my findings - its going to be chilly on the willy this morning - lol - im really glad i dont have to swap out that shifter cable thats cool - thanks sired94 for the rundown on install and bearfoot for the tip on knowledge - everyone have a great weekend - i guess while im out there i should find me an exhaust manifold or should i header it ?

SiRed94
11-07-2009, 08:41 AM
thanks everyone - im going to the yard in about an hour to search - thanks for all the help and the shopping list - ill report back with my findings - its going to be chilly on the willy this morning - lol - im really glad i dont have to swap out that shifter cable thats cool - thanks sired94 for the rundown on install and bearfoot for the tip on knowledge - everyone have a great weekend - i guess while im out there i should find me an exhaust manifold or should i header it ?

If you can find a d16z6 manifold out there for pretty cheap, I'd get it. They are 4-2-1 from the factory and flow decent. Otherwise, I'd just get a cheap $50 ebay header.

jeepspeed06
11-07-2009, 03:36 PM
updated from wy - no such luck on items that were on my list - but i did get the hookup - rt and lft door shells - rt and lft mirror assm - rt and lft side markers at fender corners - wiper switch - steering wheel - lft frt fender all in pristine shape for 40 bucks - i guess i scored - to bad - i was really wanting all my motor stuff - but most of it and the ecu were picked threw didnt find any so i guess im searching the enet for my stuff - oh well -:tongue1: :D